Previous issue (2018. Vol. 11, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Microdynamics of perceptual trustworthiness in perception of facial expressions
, Research Associate, Center of Experimental Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia, email@example.comDemidov A.A.
, Ph.D. in Psychology, Senior Research Associate, Center of Experimental Psychology, MCUPE, Assistant Professor, Moscow Institute of Psychoanalysis, Moscow, Russia, Moscow, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
The article discusses the phenomenon of «perceptual trust» and its formation in micro intervals of time. The results of two empirical studies of trust’s perceptual estimates by human faces in various aspects of time exposure was revealed. In the first study, the following values of the time exposure used: 100,250 and 1000 ms. It is shown that the value for adequacy of perceptual trust are the highest exposure at 250 ms, and the least at 1000 ms. It is suggested that the evaluation of perceptual trust depends not only on the time of the demonstration of human facial expressions, sex, but also on the expression of human face. Wider range of exposure time values was used in the second study, 100, 300, 500, 1000 and 3000 to 1000 ms. As of stimulus images were made by representatives of persons Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid racial groups. As the subjects were made by representatives of the Mongoloid racial group. The relationship between the adequacy of the perceptual trust evaluations and race of subjects and models are tested and evaluated models was revealed. The main result of the research can be considered a lack of empirical fixation unambiguous relationship between the level of trust in the person being evaluated and the duration of the perception of his face.
- Anan'eva K.I. Identifikatsiya i otsenka lits lyudei raznoi rasovoi
prinadlezhnosti [Identification and assessment of people of different races by
their faces], Moscow, Institute of Psychology RAS Publ., 2009 (In Russ.).
- Bar М., Neta М., Linz H. Very first impressions. Emotion, 2006, vol. 6, pp.
- Barabanshchikov V.A. Vospriyatie vyrazhenii litsa [Perception of facial
expressions]. Moscow, Institute of Psychology RAS Publ., 2009 (In Russ.).
- Berry D. S. Taking people at face value: Evidence for the kernel of truth
hypothesis. Social Cognition, 1990, vol. 8, pp. 343-361.
- Demidov A.A. Otsenka individual’no-psikhologicheskikh osobennostei
chelovekapo vyrazheniyu. ego litsa v razlichnykh situatsiyakh vospriyatiya
[Evaluation of psychological characteristics of man by the face in various
situations of perception], Moscow, Institute of Psychology RAS Publ., 2009 (In
- Diveev D.A. Rol’formy litsa v vospriyatii individual’no-psikhologicheskikh
kharakteristik cheloveka [The role of the face’s shape in the person
perception], Moscow, Institute of Psychology RAS Publ., 2009 (In Russ.).
- Hassin R., Trope Y. Facing faces: Studies on the cognitive aspects of
physiognomy. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2000, vol. 78, pp.
- Il’in E.P. Psikhologiya doveriya [Psychology of trust]. Saint-Peterburg,
Publ. Piter, 2013 (In Russ.).
- Kharitonov A.N., Anan’eva K.I. Raspoznavanie litsa i «effekt drugoi rasy»
[Face identification and “other race effect”]. In V.A. Barabanshchikov, A.A.
Demidov, D.A. Diveev (eds.), Litso cheloveka kak sredstvo obshcheniya.
Mezhdistsiplinamyi podkhod [The human face as a means of communication.
Interdisciplinary approach], Moscow, Kogito-Centre, 2012. pp. 145-160 (In
- Khoze E.G. Vospriyatie indutsimvannykh ekspressii litsa [Perception of
induced facial expressions], Moscow, Institute of Psychology RAS Publ., 2013
- Knutson B. Facial expressions of emotion influence interpersonal trait
inferences./owraa/ of Nonverbal Behavior, 1996, vol. 20, pp. 165-181.
- Kupreichenko A.B. Psikhologiya doveriya i nedoveriya [Psychology of trust
and mistrust], Moscow, Institute of Psychology RAS Publ., 2008 (In Russ.).
- Lange N.N. Psikhologicheskie issledovaniya [Psychologicalresearches],
Odessa, 1893 (In Russ.).
- Locher P., Unger R., Sociedade P., Wahl J. At first glance: Accessibility
of the physical attractiveness stereotype. Sex Roles, 1993, vol. 28, pp.
- Nikitin M.P. К voprosu ob obrazovanii zritel’nykh vospriyatii [On the
formation of visual perception]. Psikhologicheskii zhumal
[PsychologicalJournal], 1985, no. 3, pp. 14-21 (In Russ.).
- Olson I. R., & Marshuetz C. Facial attractiveness is appraised in a
glance. Emotion, 2005, vol. 5, pp. 498-502.
- Secord P. F. Facial features and inference processes in interpersonal
perception. In R. Tagiuri & L. Petrullo (eds.), Person Perception and
Interpersonal Behavior. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. 1958, pp.
- Skripkina T.P. Psikhologiya doveriya [Psychology of trust], Moscow,
Akademiya Publ., 2000 (In Russ.).
- Todorov A. Evaluating Faces on Trustworthiness. An Extension of Systems for
Recognition of Emotions Signaling Approach/Avoidance Behaviors. Annals of the
New York Academy of Sciences. 2008, vol. 1124, pp. 208-224.
- Todorov A., Pakrashi М., Loehr V. R., Oosterhof N. N. Evaluating Faces on
Trustworthiness. Social Cognition. 2009, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 813-833.
- Velichkovskii B.M. Sovremennaya kognitivnaya psikhologiya [Modem cognitive
psychology], Moscow, Moscow State University Publ, 1982 (In Russ.).
- Willis J., Todorov A. First impressions: Making up your mind after 100 ms
exposure to a face. Psychological Science. 2006, vol. 17, pp. 592-598.
- Zebrowitz L. A. Reading Faces: Window to the Soul? Boulder, CO: Westview