Studies of National Intelligence: Achievements and Problems
, Doctor in Psychology, Chief researcher of the laboratory of psychology and psychophysiology of creative activity, Institute of Psychology of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia, email@example.com
The review regards the critique of the researches of national intelligence and its links with socio-economic indices, the link of national intelligence with cognitive (scientific, etc.) attainments of countries, the problem of the link of intelligence with ideological orientations. The critique of these researches is justified from the moral, but not scientific point of view. The means for reducing their openness to criticism are discussed. It is argued that the role of national intelligence in cognitive attainments of a country remains not fully clarified and that the link of intelligence with ideological orientation is not simple and one-directed.
Keywords: national intelligence, cognitive attainments, ideological orientations
Column: General psychology
- Grigor'ev A.A. Issledovaniya populyatsionnogo intellekta [Elektronnyi
resurs]: kosvennye pokazateli i ikh svyazi s pryamymi izmeritelyami [Study of
national intellect: indirect criteria and their association with instant
measuring sets]. Sovremennaya zarubezhnaya psikhologiya [Journal of Modern
Foreign Psychology], 2012. no. 3, pp. 40–49. Available at:
http://psyjournals.ru/jmfp/2012/n3/56553.shtml (Accessed: 15.12.2014). (In
Russ., Abstr. in Engl.).
- Ushakov D.V. Psikhologiya intellekta i odarennosti [Psychology of
intelligence and giftedness]. M.: Izd-vo «Institut psikhologii RAN». 2011. 463
- Allik J. Geographical distribution of mental abilities and its moral
consequence. European Journal of Personality, 2007. Vol. 21, pp.
- Kemmelmeier M. Is there a relationship between political orientation and
cognitive ability? [Electronic resource]: A test of three hypotheses in two
studies. Personality and Individual Differences, 2008. Vol. 45, no. 8,
pp. 767–772. Available at:
- Lynn R. Dysgenics: Genetic Deterioration in Modern Populations. Second
Revised Edition. London: Ulster Institute for Social Research. 2011. 380
- Lynn R. Eugenics: A Reassessment. Westport, CT: Praeger. 2001. 366 p.
- Lynn R. Race differences in intelligence, creativity and creative
achievement [Electronic resource]. Mankind Quarterly, 2007. Vol. 48, no.
2, pp. 157–168. Available at:
- Lynn R., Vanhanen T. Intelligence. A Unifying Construct for the Social
Sciences. London: Ulster Institute for Social Research. 2012. 530 p.
- Morse S. The geography of tyranny and despair: development indicators and
the hypothesis of genetic inevitability of national inequality [Electronic
resource]. The Geographical Journal, 2008. Vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 195–206.
- Rindermann H., Sailer M., Thompson J. The impact of smart fractions,
cognitive ability of politicians and average competence of people on social
development [Electronic resource]. Talent Development & Excellence.
2009. Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3–25. Available at:
- Wicherts J.M., Dolan C.V., van der Mass H.L.J. A systematic literature
review of the average IQ of sub-Saharan Africans [Electronic resource].
Intelligence. 2010. Vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–20. Available at:
- Woodley M.A. Are high-IQ individuals deficient in common sense? [Electronic
resource]: A critical examination of the ‘clever sillies’ hypothesis.
Intelligence, 2010. Vol. 38, no. 5. pp. 471–480. Available at:
- Woodley M.A. Problematic constructs and cultural-mediation [Electronic
resource]: A comment on Heaven, Ciarrochi and Leeson. Itelligence, 2011.
Vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 245–248. Available at: