Foreign studies of the phenomenon of egocentrismand socio-political attitudes of children and adolescents in modern society
, student, the department of psychology, psychology of the Faculty of Moscow State University of Psychology & Education , Moscow, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
The article is concerned with the analysis of foreign publications that discuss the phenomenon of adolescents’egocentrism and their socio-politicalattitudes. The article consists of two parts. The first part provides an overview of the studies of the adolescents’egocentrism in the situation of schooling and in moral development of a personality; it shows no gender differences in manifestations of egocentrism in adolescents participating in the study(United States). Egocentrism is considered as an alternative to the theory of decentration by J. Mead. In the second part of the article the materials of foreign publications are reviewed from the point of view of the political interests of the younger generation; the adolescents’ involvement in public life and their political identityare presented. Peer-reviewed articles of foreign authors were published in 2010 -2015
- Sobkin B. C. Starsheklassnik v mire politiki. Empiricheskoe issledovanie
[High school student in the world of politics]. Moscow: TsSO RAO, 1997. 318
- Bester G. Adolescent egocentrism in a learning context. Africa Education
Review, 2013. Vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 393-409. doi:
- Boom J. Egocentrism in moral development: Gibbs, Piaget, Kohlberg:
Cognitive Robotics and Reevaluation of Piaget Concept of Egocentrism. Jane
Boom. New Ideas in Psychology, 2011. Vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 355-363.
- Dias T., Menezes I. Children and adolescents as political actors:
Collective visions of politics and citizenship: Highlighting Diversity and
Intercultural Issues. Journal of Moral Education, 2014. Vol. 43, no. 3, pp.
- Inhelder B., Piaget J. The growth of logical thinking from childhood to
adolescence. New York: Basic Books, 1958, 378 p.
- Martin J., Sokol B. Generalized others and imaginary audiences: A
neo-Meadian approach to adolescent egocentrism: Cognitive Robotics and
Reevaluation of Piaget Concept of Egocentrism. New Ideas in Psychology, 2011.
Vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 364–375. doi:10.1016/j.newideapsych.2010.03.006
- Piaget J. The equilibration of cognitive structures: The central problem of
intellectual development. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1985. 160
- Piaget J. Etudes sociologiques. Geneve: Librairie Droz, 1965. 202 p.
- Porter Tenelle J. Moral and political identity and civic involvement in
adolescents. Journal of Moral Education, 2013. Vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 239–255.