Previous issue (2019. Vol. 27, no. 2)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy
2012. no. 4, 186–207
2075-3470 / 2311-9446 (online)
The loneliness psychoanalyst 2767
, PhD in Psychology, Assistant professor at the Psychology faculty of the Lomonosov State University. Member of the editorial council of the "Counseling psychology and psychotherapy" journal. President of the Moscow Psychoanalitic Society. Member of the International Psychoanalitic Association., Moscow, Russia
This paper addresses the subject of loneliness of the psychoanalyst as well as connected with this state feelings and anxieties which the psychoanalyst faces in his professional life circle, especially when working with patients who are difficult to reach, who experienced in their early history acute and often catastrophic losses. This paper is structured around description and discussion of the paper a British psychoanalyst Roger Kennedy and paper by Igor M. Kadyrov, which were presented at the conference of the European Psychoanalytic Federation "Anxiety and the method of psychoanalysis" in Copenhagen (April 2011). Apart from the main theme — different types of loneliness and solitude and their consequences for professional identity, the paper discusses such concepts as identity and "psychic home" of the psychoanalyst and investigates their relations with concepts of "psychic space", "internal setting" and psychic process.
Keywords: loneliness, solitude, loneliness of the analyst, early catastrophic loss, identity of the analyst, psychic home, setting, internal setting, psychic space, psychoanalytic process.
Column: Therapevtic community
- Kinodo Zh.M. Priruchenie odinochestva. Separacionnaja trevoga v
- Monten' M.Je. "Ob uedinenii" // M.Je. Monten'. Opyty. M.: "Pravda", 1991,
- Bion W.R. (1963). Elements of Psycho-Analysis. London: Heinemann.
- Bion W.R. (1962). Learning from Experience. London: Tavistock.
- Britton R. (2003) Sex, Death and Superego. Experiences in Psychoanalysis.
New York: Karnac.
- Buechler S. (1998), The analyst's experience of loneliness. Contemporary
Dolto F. (1994) Solitude, Paris: Gallimard.
- Coltart N. (1988) "Slouching towards Bethlehem"… or thinking the
unthinkable in psychoanalysis. The British School of Psychoanalysis. The
Independent Tradition. Ed.G. Kohon. Free Assoc. Book. London.
- Freud S. (1937) Constructions in Analysis. The Standard Edition of the
Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud, Volume XXIII (1937—1939),
255—270 FrommReichmann F. (1990), Loneliness. Contemporary Psychoanalysis,
- Joseph B (1989). Psychic equilibrium and psychic change. Selected papers of
Betty Joseph, Feldman M, Bott Spillius E, editors. London: Routledge. (New
Library of Psychoanalysis, Vol. 9.) 240 p.
- FrommReichmann F. (1990), Loneliness. Contemporary Psychoanalysis,
- Klauber J. (1976), Elements of the psychoanalytical relationship, in
Difficulties in the Analytic Encounter, pp. 45—62. New York and London: Jason
- Kennedy R. (1998) The Elusive Human Subject. London and New York:
- Kennedy R. (2007) The Many Voices of Psychoanalysis. London and New York:
Routledge, New Library of Psychoanalysis.
- Kennedy R. (2010) Having a psychic home: aspects of identity. Bulletin
British Psychoanalytical Society, 46: no 3, 1
- Kennedy R. (2011) "The Loneliness of the Psychoanalyst". Paper given at the
main Conference of the European Psychoanalytic Federation in Copenhagen, March
- Klein M. (1963), On the sense of loneliness in Envy and Gratitude and Other
Works, pp. 300—13. London: Hogarth Press and Institute of Psychoanalysis.
- O'Shaughnessy E (1975) On the Sense of Loneliness. Explanatory Notes. In
Envy and Gratitude and Other Works, pp. 335—336. London: Hogarth Press and
Institute of Psychoanalysis.
- O'Shaughnessy E (1990). Can a liar be psychoanalysed? Int J Psychoanal
- Parsons M. (2007) Raiding the Inarticulate: The Internal Analytic Setting
and Listening Beyond Countertransference Int. J. Psycho-Anal.,
- Perelberg R.J. (2003) Full and empty spaces in the psychoanalytic process.
- Segal H. (2001) Memories of Melanie Klein. Interview with Hanna Segal. The
Melanie Klein Trust.
- Sodre I. (2010) Addiction to near life. Unpublished paper.
- Steiner J. (2008). Transference to the Analyst as an Excluded Observer.
Int. J. Psycho-Anal., 89:39—54.
- Winnicott D. (1949), Mind and its relation to the Psyche-Soma in Through
Paediatrics to Psychoanalysis: Collected papers, pp.243—54. London: Hogarth
Press and Institute of Psychoanalysis, 1975.
- Winnicott D. (1958), The capacity to be alone. International J. Psychoanal.