Contemporary Picture of Anxiety Manifestations in Children of Primary School Age 1587
, Post-graduate Student of the Department of age Psychology of the Faculty of Psychology of Education, Moscow State University of Psychology & Education, Moscow, Russia, email@example.com
Theoretical research analysis shows that many authors have noted a positive effect of mild anxiety, called the optimal level of anxiety or adaptive anxiety on children development. A study conducted in 2010-2014 was designed to investigate the levels of anxiety in children of primary school age. The study involved 241 elementary school student aged 7 - 11 years. Anxiety was diagnosed by Children's Manifest Anxiety Scale, or CMAS, adapted by A.M. Prikhozhan. The article presents a statistical and qualitative analysis of anxiety manifestations throughout the primary school age. The study revealed the ratio of anxiety levels in primary school children from first to fourth grade, the results are compared with those of previous studies of anxiety. The research allowed to identify the main elementary school periods when children have higher anxiety and often need psychological help.
- Vygotskii L.S. Sobranie sochinenii: v 6 t. T.4. Problemydetskoi
(vozrastnoi) psikhologii [Collected Works: in 6 vol. Vol.3. Problems of
Children (age) psychology]. Moscow: Pedagogika, 1984, pp. 243–432.
- Dermanova I.B. Diagnostikaemotsional'no-nravstvennogorazvitiya [Diagnosis
of emotional-moral development]. Saint-Petersburg: Publ. Rech', 2002, pp.
- Zakharov A.I. Dnevnye i nochnyestrakhi u detei [Daytime and night terrors
in children]. Moscow: Publ. Rech', 2007. 448 p.
- Iovleva T.E., Rudomazina V.M. Proyavlenietrevozhnostimladshikhshkol'nikov v
syuzhetakhsochinennykhskazok. Vozmozhnosti i ogranicheniyapriemasochinitel'stva
[Manifestation of anxiety of younger pupils in the subjects composed fairy
tales. Possibilities and limitations of method of writing]. Nauka i
shkola [Science and school], 2013, no. 4, pp. 139–143.
- Iovleva T.E., Rudomazina V.M.
[Composing a tale as diagnostic method of the research of the junior pupils’
anxiety]. Nauchnoeobozrenie.Gumanitarnyenauki [Scientific survey.
Humanities], 2012, no. 6, pp. 118–123.
- Prikhozhan A.M. Trevozhnost' u detei i podrostkov:
psikhologicheskayapriroda i vozrastnayadinamika [Anxiety in children and
adolescents: psychological nature and age dynamics]. Moscow: Publ.
Moskovskiipsikhologo-sotsial'nyi institute; Voronezh: NPO «MODEK» (Seriya
«Bibliotekapedagoga-praktika») [Seriya "Library educator-praktika], 2000. 304
- Rubinshtein S.L. Osnovyobshcheipsikhologii [Fundamentals of General
psychology]. 2-e izd.: Moscow: Publ. Piter, 2002. 720 p.
- Smirnova M.V. Uroven' yavnoytrevozhnosti u deteymladshegoshkol'nogovozrasta
[The level of manifest anxiety in children of primary school age].
Psikhologicheskayanauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and
Education, 2012, no. 2, pp. 70–76.
- Tarasova S. Yu., Osnitsky А. К. Physiological and behavioral indicators of
school anxiety. Psikhologicheskayanauka i obrazovanie = Psychological
Science and Education, 2015, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 59–68 (In Russ., аbstr. in
- El'konin D.B. Izbrannyepsikhologicheskietrudy [Selected psychological
works]. Moscow: Publ. Pedagogika, 1989, 560 p.
- Barlow D.H. Anxiety and Its Disorders: The Nature and Treatment of Anxiety
and Panic. New York: Publ. Guilford Press, 2004, 704 p.