Previous issue (2019. Vol. 10, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Social Psychology and Society
2011. no. 4, 87–110
2221-1527 / 2311-7052 (online)
After suicide: for those who have survived the death of their loved ones and for those who surround survivors
, Master of Library Science and History Neighborhood Library Supervisor, Ryder Library, Brooklyn Public Library , New-York, USA, email@example.com
This article presents material describing the author's real life experiences of shock and suffering after her brother's suicide. Facts about suicide are presented and common myths about suicide are dispelled. The risk factors for suicide are examined and evaluated. The grief and related emotions of those who have survived a loved one's suicide are described in a way that is both emotional and substantive. A very important section of the article is directed at the friends and acquaintances of suicide survivors, with advice about what to do and what not to do. Another section "What to do if you suspect someone of suicidal ideation," undoubtedly may be of significant practical applied value.
- Dostoevskii F. M. Prestuplenie i nakazanie. Sobr. soch.: V 15 t. T.
5. Leningrad, 1989.
- Kurpatov A. V. Depressiya: ot reakcii do bolezni. Posobie dlya
vrachei obshei praktiki. SРb., 2006.
- Kyubler&Ross E. O smerti i umiranii. Per. s angl. Kiev,
- Chukovskaya L. Predsmertie.Iz knigi: Process isklyucheniya. M.,
- Andrews J. “Suicide: How Do We Say It?” TCF/Sugar Land, Texas, 1999.
The Compassionate Friends, Special Newsletter on Suicide, Marion County and
Sand Francisco, California Chapter. CA, 2001.
- Carlson T. Suicide Survivor Handbook: Guide to the Bereaved and
Those Who Wish To Help Them, Duluth, Minn.: Bengline Press, 2000.
- Cobain B., Larch J. Dying to Be Free. A Healing Guide for Families
after a Suicide. Center City, MN: Hazelden Foundation, 2006.
- De Leo D., Evans R. International Suicide Rates and Prevention
Strategies, Cambridge, MA, 2004.
- Depression: A treatable Illness. (Fact Sheet). National Institute of Mental
Health. July 13, 2009.
- Economic News Release. Volunteering in the United States, 2010. United
States Department of Labor. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Frequently Asked Questions. Foundation Center, 2011.
- Frigo V., Fisher D., Maru M. L. You Can Help Someone Who's Grieving.
New York, 1996.
- Global Status Report on Alcohol, Country Profiles, European Region, Russian
Federation. WHO. 2004.
- Granello D. H., Granello P. F. Suicide: An Essential Guide for
Helping Professionals and Educators. Boston, 2007.
- In memory of Philip Ganote (March 8, 1968 — August 16, 1994). The
compassionate Friends, Marin County and San Francisco, California Chapter. CA,
- Jackson J. SOS. A Handbook for Survivors of Suicide, American
Association of Suicidology. Washington, 2003.
- Jamison K. R. Night Falls Fast. New York, 1999.
- Joiner T. Why People Die by Suicide. Cambridge, MA: Harvard
University Press, 2005.
- Kinnaman G., Jacobs R. Seeing in the Dark., Bloomingthon, MN:
Bethany House Publishers, 2006.
- Kolf J. C. How Can I Help? How to Support Someone Who is Grieving.
Tucson, Az.: Fisher books, 1999.
- Machado J. The Compassionate Friends. Sibling Special Edition. Oak
Brook, IL. 2004.
- Mental health reform in the Russian Federation: an integrated approach to
achieve social inclusion and recovery. Bulletin of the World Health
Organization, 2007, November 2007, 85 (11)
- National Center for Charitable Statistics at the Urban Institute.
NCSS-Search Active Organizations.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010—2011 United States Department of Labor.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Edition.
- Some Facts about Suicide and Depression. American Association of
Suicidology June 23, 2009,
- Suicide Prevention (SUPRE).World Health Organization. Mental
Health. 2011. http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/
- Suicide Rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table). World Health
Organization. Mental Health, 2011.
- Suicide rates (per 100,000, by gender. Russian Federation, 1980?2006. World
Health Organization, 2011.