Previous issue (2019. Vol. 10, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Intragroup conflicts and efficiency of production group
, Doctor in Psychology, Head of the Department of Psychology of Management and Juridical Psychology, Academy of Psychology and Pedagogics, Southern Federal University, Rostov-na-Donu, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Analysis results of relationships of three levels of the conflict (interpersonal, microgroup and group) on two types (the job and subject ) with indicators of subjectively perceived performance and social effectiveness of small groups and informal subgroups are provided. On selection of 42 work groups (N=334 employees) it is established that performance efficiency of group according to the experts has inverse relation from all levels and types of the conflict, and by estimates of members of group — from two types of the microgroup conflict. The same type of effectiveness of informal subgroups on one indicator has inverse relation from the group conflict, and on another — from the interpersonal and microgroup conflict. Social effectiveness of group is connected with the interpersonal and group conflict, and informal subgroups are connected with the interpersonal and microgroup conflict. Levels and types of the conflict cause efficiency of group and subgroup not only separately, but also in a combination with each other. Six regression models, four of which display relationships at the same time of several levels and types of the conflict with performance effectiveness of group, and two — with social effectiveness of subgroup are revealed. Mediated and direct relationships of levels and types of the conflict with efficiency of group and subgroup are established.
Keywords: the interpersonal conflict, the microgroup conflict, the group conflict, the job conflict, the subject conflict, effectiveness of group, effectiveness of subgroup, performance effectiveness, social effectiveness.
Column: Empirical Research
The work described in this paper was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Russia (grant number 16-36-00006/16).
- Gorbatenko A.S., Gorbatenko T.M. Metodika opredelenija struktury maloj
gruppy s pomoshh’ju analiza mezhlichnostnyh vyborov [A method for
identification of the structure of a small group using formalized analysis of
interpersonal selections]. Voprosy psihologii [Voprosy Psychologii],
1984, no. 4, pp. 112—118.
- Kaydalov D.P., Suimenko E.I. Psihologiya edinonachaliya i kollegialnosti
[Psychology of one-man management and collective nature]. Moscow: Myisl, 1979.
- Mescheryakova I.A., Pogodina E.N. Opyit psihologicheskogo analiza
konfliktov v studencheskom obschezhitii [The experience of psychological
analysis of conflicts in a student dormitory]. Kulturno-istoricheskaya
psihologiya [Cultural-historical psychology],. 2010, no. 3, pp.
- Polozova T.A. Mezhlichnostnyiy konflikt v gruppe (teoreticheskie printsipyi
i opyit eksperimentalnogo issledovaniya). Avtoref. diss. kand. psihol. nauk
[Interpersonal conflict in the group (theoretical principles and experience of
experimental research). Ph. D. (Psychology) Thesis]. Moscow, 1980.
- Sidorenkov A.V. et al. Razrabotka instrumentariya issledovaniya gruppovogo
i mikrogruppovogo konflikta v proizvodstvennyih gruppah [Development of a
questionnaire of the group and microgroup conflict in the working groups].
Rossiyskiy psihologicheskiy zhurnal [Russian Psychological Journal],
Vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 89—106.
- Sidorenkov A.V. Malaja gruppa i neformal’naja podgruppy: mikrogruppovaja
teorija [Small group and informal subgroups: microgroove theory].
Rostov-na-Donu: Publ. JuFU, 2010.
- Sidorenkov A.V., Lokteva E.A., Mkrtchyan A.A. Instrumentariy issledovaniya
tipov mezhlichnostnyih protivorechiy i konfliktov v malyih gruppah [Instruments
for types of interpersonal contradictions and conflicts in small groups study].
Psihologicheskiy zhurnal [Psikhologicheskii Zhurnal], Vol. 35, no. 2,
- Sidorenkov A.V., Pavlenko R.V. Svidetelstvo ob ofitsialnoy registratsii
programmyi dlya EVM № 2016661568 «Gruppovoy profil — Universal»,
GP-U(M-16) Federalnoy sluzhbyi po intellektualnoy sobstvennosti RF [Certificate
of official registration of a computer program No. 2016661568 «Group
profile — Universal», GP-U(M-16) Federal Service for Intellectual
Property of the Russian Federation]. Moscow, 2016.
- Sidorenkov A.V., Ulyanova N.Yu. Metodiki izucheniya effektivnosti malyih
proizvodstvennyih grupp [The methods for investigation of the small production
groups efficacy]. Rossiyskiy psihologicheskiy zhurnal [Russian
Psychological Journal], 2011, no. 4, pp. 9—16.
- Behfar K.J. et al. Conflict in small groups: The meaning and consequences
of process conflict. Small Group Research, 2011, 42(2), pp. 127—176.
- Choi J.N. & Sy T. Group-level organizational citizenship behavior:
Effects of demographic faultlines and conflict in small work groups.
Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2010, 31, pp. 1032—1054. doi:
- De Dreu C.K.W. & Weingart L.R. Task versus relationship conflict, team
member satisfaction, and team effectiveness: A meta-analysis. Journal of
Applied Psychology, 2003, 88(4), pp. 741—749.
- Greer L.L., Jehn K.A. & Mannix E.A. Conflict transformation: A
longitudinal investigation of the relationships between different types of
intragroup conflict and the moderating role of conflict resolution. Small
Group Research, 2008, 39(3), pp. 278—302. doi:
- Jehn K.A. A multimethod examination of the benefits and detriments of
intragroup conflict. Administrative Science Quarterly, 1995, 40, pp.
256—282. doi: 0001-8392/95/4002- 0256
- Jehn K.A. A qualitative analysis of conflict types and dimensions in
organizational groups. Administrative Science Quarterly, 1997, 42, pp.
530—557. doi: 0001-8392/97/4203- 0530
- Jehn K.A. et al. The effects of conflict types, dimensions, and emergent
states on group outcomes. Group Decision & Negotiation, 2008, 7,
pp. 465—495. doi: 10.1007/s10726-008- 9107-0
- Jehn K.A. & Mannix E.A. The dynamic nature of conflict: A longitudinal
study of intragroup conflict and group performance. Academy of Management
Journal, 2001, 44, pp. 238—251. doi:10.2307/3069453
- Jehn K.A., Northcraft G.B. & Neale M.A. Why differences make a
difference: A field study of diversity, conflict, and performance in
workgroups. Administrative Science Quarterly, 1999, 44(4), pp.
- Kerwin S., Doherty A. & Harman A. “It’s not conflict, it’s differences
of opinion”: An in-depth examination of conflict in nonprofit boards. Small
Group Research, 2011, 42(5), pp. 562—594. doi:
- Medina F.J. et al. Types of intragroup conflict and affective reactions.
Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2005, 20(3/4), pp. 219—230. doi:
- Pelled L.H., Eisenhardt K.M. & Xin K.R. Exploring the black box: An
analysis of work group diversity, conflict, and performance. Administrative
Science Quarterly, 1999, 44, pp. 1—28. doi:0001-8392/99/4401-0001
- Yong K., Sauer S.J. & Mannix E.A. Conflict and creativity in
interdisciplinary teams. Small Group Research., 2014, 45(3), pp.
266—289. doi: 10.1177/1046496414530789