A study of the relationship of the type of personal orientation and level of development of moral consciousness 1950
PhD in Psychology, lecturer at the Department of Organizational Psychology, Higher School of Economics , Russia
One of the directions of modern psychology of morality and ethics is the study of the determinants and psychological phenomena that are directly related to the level of development of emotional and moral spheres of personality. On the basis of the provisions of the two independent theories – the phased theory of moral development and the theory of self-identity of personality - it seems possible to start the empirical study of the correlation of the two psychological constructs – the type of personal orientation and the level of development of moral consciousness. At the initial stage of research the type of personal orientation acts as a descriptive (external) factor of a more general psychological phenomenon - the phenomenon of self-determination. The hypothesis that the level of moral consciousness is linked to the type of personal orientation was not confirmed in our study, despite the commonality of the two conceptual constructs. This article is devoted to the explanation of the causes and to the possible interpretations of this phenomenon.
Keywords: moral psychology, phased theory, level of moral consciousness, self-determination, personal orientation, moral dilemmas, relationship, correlation
Column: Psychology of Personality
- Ancyferova L. I. Svjaz' moral'nogo soznanija s nravstvennym povedeniem cheloveka (po materialam issledovanij Lourensa Kolberga i ego shkoly) // Psihologicheskij zhurnal. 1999. T. 20. Vyp. 3. S.5–17.
- Gordeeva T .O. Teorija samodeterminacii: nastojawee i buduwee. Chast' 1: Problemy razvitija teorii (Jelektronnyj resurs) // Psihologicheskie issledovanija: jelektron. nauch. zhurn. 2010. N 4(12). URL: http://psystudy.ru (data obrawenija: 01.06.2012). 0421000116\0041.
- Leont'ev D. A. Psihologija svobody: K postanovke problemy samodeterminacii lichnosti // Psihologicheskij zhurnal. 2000. T. 21. № 1. S. 15–25.
- Shmelev A. G. Test «Moral'nye dilemmy». Dopolnennyj variant (Jelektronnyj resurs) URL: http://www.ht.ru/onlinet/moral/moral.htm (data obrawenija: 01.06.2012).
- Blasi A. Bridging moral cognition and moral action: A critical review of the literature // Psychological Bulletin. 1980. №. 88. P. 1–45.
- Chi M. T. H., Ceci S. J. Content knowledge: Its role, representation, and restructuring in memory development // Advances in child development and behavior / Ed. H. Reese. Orlando, FL: Academic Press. 1987. V. 20. P. 91–142.
- Colby A., Kohlberg L. The measurement of moral judgment: V. 1. Theoretical foundations and research validation. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. 1987.
- Fischer J. M. Responsibility and Control: A Theory of Moral Responsibility. Cambridge University Press. 1998.
- Handbook of self-determination research / Eds. E. Deci, R. Ryan. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press. 2002.
- Kohlberg L. The development of modes of moral thinking and choice in the years ten to sixteen. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Chicago. 1958.
- Kohlberg L., Levine C., Hewer A. Moral stages: A current formulation and a response to critics // Contributions to human development. V. 10 / Ed. J. A. Meacham. Basel: Karger. 1983.
- Lapsley D. K. Moral psychology. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1996.
- Rest J. Development in judging moral issues. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. 1979.
- Rest J., Thoma S. Moral judgment development and formal education // Developmental Psychology. 1985. № 21. Р. 709–714.
- Rest J., Narvaez D. The college experience and moral development // Handbook of moral behavior and development. V. 2. Research / Eds. W. M. Kurtines, J. L. Gewirtz. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. 1991. P. 229– 248.
- Snarey J. Cross-cultural universality of social-moral development: A critical review of Kohlbergian research // Psychological Bulletin. 1985. № 97. Р. 202–232.