Adaptation of M. Kernis – A. Paradise «The Contingent Self-Esteem Scale» 1678
The article contains the results of adaptation and standardization of Russian version of M. Kernis – A. Paradise “The Contingent Self-Esteem Scale” received the translated title “The External Determinants of Self-Attitude Scale”. This scale includes 15 items and is aimed to measure reactivity of self-attitude in relation to external (situational) determinants. The study sample consisted of 440 participants (301 females, 139 males, with a mean age of 18,9 years). The Russian-language version of the technique was verified in terms of internal consistency (Cronbach’s alpha is 0,819), test-retest reliability (after two weeks the Spearman correlation coefficient is 0,805 p<0,01, after four weeks it is 0,782, p<0,01), discriminative ability (Spearman correlation coefficients range from 0,411 to 0,756, p<0,01), external and construct validity. Standardization information is presented as a table for interpretation raw data into stens. The results prove that “The External Determinants of Self-Attitude Scale” is a convenient psychological diagnostic tool and has all the necessary psychometric qualities. Further research steps are associated with standardization within other age groups and refinement of evidence of external and construct validity.
- Barabanschikov V.A. Sistemnyj podhod v strukture psihologicheskogo
poznanija [The systematic approach in the structure of psychological
knowledge]. Metodologija i istorija psihologii [Methodology and
history of psychology], 2007, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 86–99.
- Chung J.M., Robins R.W., Trzesniewski K.H., Roberts B.W., Noftle E.E.,
Widaman K.F. Continuity and Change in Self-Esteem During Emerging Adulthood.
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2014, vol. 106, no. 3, pp.
- Crocker J., Wolfe C. Contingencies of Self-Worth. Psychological
review, 2001, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 593-623.
- Deci E.L., Ryan R.M. Human Agency: The basis for true self-esteem. In M.
Kernis (ed.), Efficacy, agency, and self-esteem. New York:
Plenum, 1995. Pp. 31–50.
- Kernis M.H. Measuring self-esteem in context: The importance of stability
of self-esteem in psychological functioning. Journal of Personality
[Special Issue: Advances in Personality and Daily Experience], 2005, no.
6, pp. 1569–1606.
- Kernis M.H., Cornell D.P., Sun C., Berry A., Harlow T. There’s More to
Self-Esteem Than Whether It Is High or Low: The Importance of Stability of
Self-Esteem. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1993, vol.
65, no. 6, pp. 1190–1204.
- Kernis M.H., Goldman B.M. Assessing Stability of Self-Esteem and Contingent
Self-Esteem. In M.H. Ker- nis (ed.), Self-esteem Issues and Answers: a
sourcebook of current perspectives. New York: Psychology Press, 2006. Pp.
- Mart’janova G.Ju. Osobennosti samootnoshenija sub’ektov trudnoj zhiznennoj
situacii [Features of self- attitude in subjects experiencing rough life
situations]. Nauchnyj dialog [Scientific dialogue], 2013, no. 4
(16): Psihologija. Pedagogika [Psychology. Pedagogics], pp. 74–84.
- Molchanova O.N., Nekrasova T.Y. Adaptation of J. Crocker’s Contingencies of
Self-Worth Scale. Kul’turno- istoricheskaya psikhologiya
[Cultural-Historical Psychology], 2013, no. 4, pp. 65–74.
- Mruk C.J. Self-Esteem Research, Theory, and Practice: Toward a Positive
Psychology of Self-Esteem. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 2006. 316
- Nasledov A.D. Matematicheskie metody psihologicheskogo issledovanija.
Analiz i interpretacija dannyh. Uchebnoe posobie. 4-e izdanie, stereotip.
[Mathematical methods of psychological research. Analysis and interpretation
of data. Tutorial. Fourth edition, stereotyp.]. Saint-Petersburg: Rech’
Publ., 2012. 392 p.
- Panteleev S.R. Samootnoshenie kak jemocional’no-ocenochnaja sistema
[Self-Attitude as an emotionally- value system]. Moscow: MGU Publ.,
1991. 108 p.
- Stolin V.V. Samosoznanie lichnosti [The self-consciousness of a
personality]. Moscow: MGU Publ., 1983. 284 p.