Change of the model of homosexuality in psychodynamic approach (review of foreign literature references) 1803
Psychologist, Psychological center “Schastlivyi chelovek”, Ramenskoe, Russia
At present homosexuality is not regarded as a mental disorder in contrast to a long period in the past when it was treated as a disease. The majority of psychodynamic approach representatives adhered to the estimation of nontraditional sexual orientation as a psychopathic state. Homosexuality was often viewed as a symptom of a major psychic impairment like confused self-identity, but with time the authors came to a conclusion that homosexuality is an alternative, yet possible type of psychosexual self-identity. The article discloses the evolution of a homosexual model in psychodynamic approach and describes the current view on the issue. It also specifies the questions brought up by the modern researchers of homosexuality.
Keywords: mental disorder, psychoanalysis, psychodynamic approach, sexual orientation, homosexuality
Column: Developmental psychology
- Applegarth A., Wolfson A. Scientific proceedings-panel reports:
toward the further understanding of homosexual women // Journal of the American
Psychoanalytic Association. 1987.
Vol. 35, № 165. P. 165–173.
- Bellini Ch. The pink lesson plan: Addressing the emotional needs
of gay and lesbian students in Canadian teacher educational programs // Journal
of LGBT Youth. 2012. Vol. 9, № 44. P. 373–396.
- Bieber I. Homosexuality: A psychoanalytic study / I. Bieber, H.J.
Dain, P.R. Dince, M.W. Drellich, A.H. Rifkin, C.B. Wilbur, T.B. Bieber. New
York, 1962. 372 p.
- Black W.W., Fedewa A.L., Gonzalez K.A. Effects of «Safe school»
programs and policies on the social climate for sexual-minority youth: a review
of th literature // Journal of LGBT youth. 2012. Vol. 9, № 4. P. 321–339.
- Blosnich J. PhD, MHP & Bossarte R. PhD. Drivers of disparity:
differences in socially based risk factors of self-injurious and suicidal
behaviors among sexual minority college students // Journal of American college
health. 2012. Vol. 60, № 2. P. 141–149.
- Freud S. Three essays on the theory of sexuality. London, 1953.
- Green I.M. An evalution of psychoanalytic models of female
homosexuality. Дисс. д-ра филол. наук, Нью-Йорк, 1996.
- Hodges I. Queering psychoanalysis: power, self and identity in
psychoanalytic therapy with sexual minority clients // Psychology &
Sexuality. 2011. Vol. 2, № 1. P. 29–44.
- Matthews C.H., Salazar F.C. An integrative, Emprowerment model for
helping lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth negotiate the coming-out-process //
Journal of LGBT issues in counseling. 2012. Vol. 6, № 2. P. 96–117.
- Socarides C. Homosexuality. New York. 1978. 642 p.
- Reed M.T. Historicizing inversion: or, how to make a homosexual //
History of the human sciences. 2001. Vol. 14, № 4. P. 1–29.
- Walker M.D., Hernandez A.M., Davey M. Childhood sexual abuse and
adult sexual identity formation: intersection of gender, race, and sexual
orientation // The American journal of family therapy. 2012. Vol. 40, № 5. P.