Peculiarities of emotional sphere in orphans: analysis through projective drawing test 3659
undergraduate student of the faculty of educational Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The article provides an analysis of the foreign and national literature in the area of formation and functioning of the orphans’ emotional sphere. The specific conditions in which the development of this category of children occurs ("deprivation" and "non-maternal care") are regarded as a determinant of deviation in the emotional status of children brought up in institutions. The article also contains preliminary data of the author's own research, aimed at studying of features of orphans’ emotional sphere with the help of drawing projective techniques, which are further compared to the data obtained in foreign studies.
Keywords: emotional development of orphans, drawing projective tests, deprivation, care.
Column: Developmental psychology
- Venger A.L. Psikhologicheskie risunochnye testy: illyustrirovannoe
rukovodstvo [Psychological tests picturesque: an illustrated guide]. Moscow:
Vlados-press, 2003. 160 p.
- Egorova M.A. Osobennosti psikhologicheskikh novoobrazovanii podrostkov v
shkole internate [Features of psychological neoplasms of teenagers in boarding
school]. Defektologiya: Nauchno-metodicheskii zhurnal, 2006. № 1. pp.
- Lisina M.I. Formirovanie lichnosti rebenka v obshchenii [Formation of the
personality of the child to communicate]. SPb.: Piter, 2009. 320 p.
- Mukhina V.S. Vozrastnaya psikhologiya: fenomenologiya razvitiya, detstvo,
otrochestvo Uchebnik dlya stud. Vuzov [Psychology: phenomenology of
development, childhood, adolescence: the textbook for students]. Moscow:
«Akademiya», 2000. 456 p.
- Prikhozhan A.M., Tolstykh N.N. Psikhologiya sirotstva [Psychology
orphanhood]. SPb.: Piter, 2007. 416 p.
- Bowlby J. Maternal care and mental health. World Health Organization:
Monograph Series No. 2. Gen.: Palais des Nations, 1951. P. 180.
- Crockenberg S. C. How valid are the results of the St. Petersburg–USA
orphanage intervention study and what do they mean for the world's children?
Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 2008. № 73, pp.
- Gunnar M.R., van Dulmen M.H. M., Team I.A.P. Behavior problems in
post-institutionalized internationally adopted children. Development and
Psychopathology, 2007. no. 19, pp. 129–148.
- Institutional rearing and psychiatric disorders in Romanian preschool
children. Zeanah C. H., [et al.]. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2009. Vol.
166, no. 7, pp. 777–785.
- Juffer F., van IJzendoorn M.H. Behavior problems and mental health
referrals of international adoptees: a meta-analysis. Journal of the American
Medical Association, 2005. Vol. 293, no. 20. P. 2501– 2515.
- Merz E.C., Mccall R.B. Behavior problems in children adopted from
psychosocially depriving institutions. // Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.
2010. Vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 459-70.
- Normality and impairment following profound early institutional
deprivation: a longitudinal follow-up into early adolescence / Kreppner J.M.,
[et al.]. Developmental Psychology, 2007. Vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 931– 946.
- Sonuga-Barke E.J., Schlotz W., Kreppner J.V. Differentiating developmental
trajectories for conduct, emotion, and peer problems following early
deprivation. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 2010.
Vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 102-124. doi:10.1111/j.1540-5834.2010.00552.x.
- Spitz R.A. Hospitalism: A follow-up report. The Psychoanalytic Study of the
Child. Vol. 2. N.Y.: International Universities Press. 1946.Teresa A.O. The use
of drawings to facilitate interviews with orphaned children in Mpumalanga
province, South Africa. South African Journal of Education, 2012. Vol. 32, no.
4, pp. 428-440.
- The delayed onset of emotional difficulties following severe early
deprivation: findings from the ERA study. Colvert, E. [et al.]. Development and
Psychopathology, 2008. Vol, 20, pp. 547–567.
- Theoretical, empirical, and practical rationale // Monographs of the
Society for Research in Child Development. 2008. Vol. 73, pp. 1–15.
- Tizard B., Hodges J. The effect of early institutional rearing on the
development of eight-year-old children, Journal of Child Psychology and
Psychiatry, 1974. Vol. 19, pp. 99-118.