Modern problems of orphans 2351
, Post-graduate Student, Chair of Clinical and Forensic Psychology, Department of Legal Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology and EducationKonopleva I.N.
, PhD in Psychology, Associate Professor, Department of Forensic Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The article analyses the foreign publications, concerning the main problems of children left without parental care. It provides international statistics on the number of orphans in the world. The article analyses the situation of orphans in Africa, whose parents died from AIDS, and specifies difficulties in life maintenance of such children. The article characterizes orphans living in institutional settings, and the impact of institutional education on the psychological wellbeing of these children. It also identifies some features of orphans living in hard circumstances.
- Konventsiya o pravakh rebenka [Electronic resource] [Convention on the
Rights of the Child]. New York, 1989. Audiovisual Library of International Law.
United Nations. Available at: http:
- Afework T. A Comparative Study of Psychological Wellbeing between Orphan
and Non-orphan Children in Addis Ababa [Electronic resource]: The Case of Three
Selected Schools in Yeka Sub-city. Addis Ababa: Addis Ababa university. School
of psychology clinical, health, and counseling psychology programs unit, 2013.
89 p. URL:
- Bailey J.D. Orphan Care: An Introduction [Electronic resource]. Social Work
and Society, 2009. Vol. 7, no.1. URL:
http://www.socwork.net/sws/article/view/40/343 (Accessed: 27.04.2015)
- Busuttil, F. Orphaned Children Around the World[Electronic resource].
Humanium: together for children's rights. 2011. URL:
http://www.humanium.org/en/orphans/ (Accessed: 16.04.2015).
- Caring for children affected by HIV and AIDS. United Nations Children’s
Fund (UNICEF). Florence, Italy: UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre. 2006. 53
- Children's Statistics [Electronic resource]. SOS children’s villages. USA,
2012. URL: http://www.sos-usa.org/our-impact/childrens-statistics (Accessed:
- Persisting mental health problems among AIDS-orphaned children in South
Africa. Cluver, L. [et al.]. Journal of Child Psychiatry and Psychology, 2012.
no.53, pp. 363–370.
- Ganga E., Chinyoka K. Exploring Psychological Disorders Caused By Poverty
amongst Orphans and Vulnerable Children Living Within Child – Headed
Households. Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa Clarion University of
Pennsylvania. Clarion, Pennsylvania, 2010. Vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 186–198.
- Psychological distress and its predictors in AIDS orphan adolescents in
Addis Ababa city [Electronic resource]: A comparative survey. Getachew, H. [et
al.]. Ethiopia journal of health development, 2011, vol. 25, no. 2, pp.
- Grindis B. Institutional Autism In Children Adopted Internationally: Myth
Or Reality? International Journal of Special Education, 2008, vol. 23, no. 3,
- Grindis B. Post-Orphanage in Internationally Adopfted Children [Electronic
resource]. BGCENTER: Center for Cognitive-Developmental Assessment &
Remediation. 2012. URL:
- Jini L.R., Stacey A.S. The African orphan crisis and international adoption
[Electronic resource] // Social Work. 2006. Vol. 51, № 3. P. 199–210. URL:
- Maslow A.H. Chapter 6. Unmotivated Behavior [Электронный ресурс].
Motivation and Personality. A.H. Maslow. 3rd edition N.Y.: Addison Wesley
Longman. 1987, pp. 62–72. URL:
- Subbarao K., Mattimore A., Plangemann K. Social Protection of Africa’s
Orphans and Other Vulnerable Children: Issues and Good Practices. Program
Options. Washington. DC: World Bank, Africa Region, 2001. 43 p.
- Tarko V. The Psychological Difficulties of Orphans. [Electronic resource].
Softpedia, 2006. URL:
- The global HIV challenge: Assessing progress, identifying obstacles,
renewing commitment: Report on the global AIDS epidemic. UNAIDS, 2008. 28
- The Impact of AIDS. Chapter II. Demographic impact of AIDS [Electronic
resource]. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population
Division, 2004, pp. 11–38.
- The psychological impacts of abandonment [Electronic resource]. Ragea
Against the Minivan. 2011. URL:
- UNICEF's position on inter-country adoption. [Electronic resource] //
UNICEF, 2004. URL: http://www.unicef.org/media/media_55412.html (Accessed: