History of European and national toys 2580
PhD in Psychology, Рrofessor of the Department of Preschool Pedagogics and Psychology of the Faculty of Psychology of Education, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Psychology, Senior Scientist, Center of Psychology and Educational Expertise of Play and Toys, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The article examines the role of toys in the life and development of children. It traces the developmental trajectory of shaped toys in Europe and Russia from antiquity to the present day. It also shows the role of ideological factors in shaping the image of toys as well as long lasting contradiction between the developing features of toys and their market values. The article presents the comparative analysis of the image and the playing potential of the traditional and modern popular dolls. Functions of toys as mediums and tools for the transmission of cultural norms is exemplifies by gender stereotypes: it shows how the peculiarity of toys for boys and girls, affects the nature of the game. In the conclusion the article examines the main trends and problems of development of the market of modern toys.
- Grekov A.U. Iskusstvo zapadnoevropeiskoi igrushki [The Art of Western
toys]. Sergiev Posad. 2006. 168 p. (In Russ.).
- Nel'son A. Igra kak oposredovannoe deistvie. Gendernyi aspect [Playing as
an indirect effect. The gender dimension]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i
obrazovanie [Psychological Science and Education]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 93–101. (In
- Sokolova M.V. Issledovanie domashnei igrovoi sredy rebenka doshkol'nogo
vozrasta [Research home gaming environment preschool child]. Sovremennoe
doshkol'noe obrazovanie [Modern preschool education]. 2012, no. 6, pp. 7–13.
- Sobkin V.S. Skobel'tsina K.N. Igry sovremennogo doshkol'nika [Games of the
modern preschool]. Sotsiologiya doshkol'nogo detstva Trudy po sotsiologii
obrazovaniya [Sociology of preschool Works on the sociology of education]. Vol.
ХХ1Х. Moscow: Institut sotsiologii obrazovaniya RAO, 2013, pp. 61–73. (In
- Berg L.E. Defining the good toy – an interactionistic approach. Toys in
educational and socio-cultural contexts. Part 1. L.E. Berg. A. Nelson, K.
Svensson. Stockholm: SITREC, 2003, pp. 139–155.
- Berg L.E. Toys and play in identity construction for preschool children.
Toys as communication. Part 2. Selection of papers presented at the
International Toy / A. Nelson, L.E. Berg, K. Svensson (editors). Stockholm:
SITREC, 2003, pp. 193–208.
- Mouritsen F. Do children really need all this toys? – do adults? Toys as
communication. Part 2. Toy research in the late twentieth century. K. Svensson,
L.E. Berg. A. Nelson, eds. Stockholm: SITREC, 2003, pp. 59–73.
- Retter H. Evaluation of toys today – against the background of contemporary
changes in society and socialization. Toys in educational and socio-cultural
contexts. Part 1. 2003, pp. 171–181.
- Retter Р. Postmodernity – what about toys? Toys as communication. Part 2.
K. Svensson, L.E. Berg. Stockholm: SITREC, 2003, pp. 25–39.
- Smirnova E.O. Character toys as psychological tools. International Journal
of Early Years Education, 2011, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 35–43. doi:
- Wegener-Spohring G. Toys: mirror of the world and world of the children.
Toys as communication. Part 2. K. Svensson, L.E. Berg. A. Nelson. Stockholm:
SITREC, 2003. pp. 73–89.