Homeschooling in Russia and abroad 3426
PhD in Psychology, Director of Contemporary Childhood Research Center, Institute of Education, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Trainee-researcher of the Center for Modern Childhood Studies, Institute of Education of the National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
The article presents a relatively new practice of home education for Russia. A survey of numerous studies shows that the transition to homeschooling is characteristic of families with a high value of family cohesion, for those who want to protect their children from the dubious influence of their peers, and for those who have a special idea of religious education. The most widespread home education ("homeschooling") has in the USA (up to 8% of schoolchildren), is allowed and is actively growing in many countries of Europe. The psychological aspect of the problem of home education is linked in the presented review mainly with the theme of family cohesion, although a number of researchers believe that homeschooling itself is only an additional and not the main factor of cohesion. According to the empirical study, Russian homeschoolers are faced with a large number of organizational problems in the transition to home education and with a lack of pedagogical competence of parents and a shortage of special methods of individual education, since only 16% have pedagogical education. The main psychological problems in choosing a homeschooling include a misunderstanding from the inner circle, and in the implementation - the difficulty in determining the parent role. If in traditional school education the parent is a welcoming and loving parent, then at home education the parent becomes demanding and controlling. Homeschooling provokes the creation of various kinds of associations and groups of mutual supports of parents, which indicates the ambiguity and difficulties in implementing this form of education for children.
- Lomov A.I. Formy polucheniya obrazovaniya zhurnal [Elektronnyi resurs]
[Forms of obtaining an education journal]. Direktor shkoly [Director of the
school], 2014, no. 5(188), pp. 88-94. Available at:
http://direktor.ru/article.htm?id=116 (Accessed 19.07.2017). (In Russ.)
- Pis'mo Minobrnauki ot 15.11.2013 g. № NT-1139/08 «Ob organizatsii
polucheniya obrazovaniya v semeinoi forme» [Elektronnyi resurs] [Letter of the
Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation of 15.11.2013,
no. HT-1139/08 "On the organization of education in the family form"].
Available at: http://минобрнауки.рф/документы/3775 (Accessed 19.07.2017). (In
- Semenychev A. Domashnee obuchenie i semeinoe obrazovanie [Elektronnyi
resurs] [Home education and family education]. Sait «Sem'ya» [The site
"Family"]. Available at:
(Accessed 19.07.2017). (In Russ.).
- Federal'nyi zakon ot 29.12.2012 N 273-FZ (red. ot 13.07.2015) "Ob
obrazovanii v Rossiiskoi Federatsii" (s izm. i dop., vstup. v silu s
24.07.2015) [Elektronnyi resurs] [Federal Law No. 273-FZ of December 29,
2012 (as amended on July 13, 2015) "On Education in the Russian Federation" (as
amended and supplemented, entered into force on July 24, 2015)].
Konsul'tantPlyus [ConsultantPlus]. Available at:
http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_law_140174/ (Accessed 19.07.2017).
- Forma №76-RIK na nachalo 2015/2016 uchebnogo goda [Elektronnyi resurs]
[Form # 76-RIC at the beginning of 2015/2016 academic year]. Gosudarstvennye OU
Edinaya informatsionnaya sistema obespecheniya deyatel'nosti Ministerstva
obrazovaniya i nauki Rossiiskoi Federatsii [State DU Unified information system
for the activities of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian
Federation]. Available at: http://eis.mon.gov.ru/education/SitePages/Общее
образование-Формы_2015-2016.aspx (Accessed 19.07.2017). (In Russ.).
- Bayer A. Which countries have banned homeschooling? [Elektronnyi resurs].
- Cheng A., Tuchman S., Wolf P.J. Homeschool Parents and Satisfaction with
Special Education Services. Journal of School Choice, 2016. Vol. 10,
no. 3, pp. 381–398. doi:10.1080/15582159.2016.1202076
- Collom E. The ins and outs of homeschooling: The determinants of parental
motivations and student achievement. Education and Urban Society, 2005.
Vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 307–335. doi:10.1177/0013124504274190
- Garcia P.R.J.M. et al. Differential moderating effects of students- and
parent-rated support in the relationship between learning goal orientation and
career decision-making self efficacy. Journal of Career Assessment, 2012.
Vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 22–33. doi:10.1177/1069072711417162
- Erturgut P., Erturgut R. Stress and academic self-esteem in primary school
children who applied to the hospital: A research in pediatric hospitals in
Turkey. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2010. Vol. 2, no. 2,
pp. 1200–1204. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.03.172
- Butler M.H., et all. Examining claims of family process differences ensuing
from the choice to home-school. Education and urban society, 2015.
Vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 88–108. doi:10.1177/0013124513494777
- Green C.L., Hoover-Dempsey K.V. Why do parents homeschool? A systematic
examination of parental involvement. Education and Urban Society, 2007.
Vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 264–285. doi:10.1177/0013124506294862
- Harding T., Farrell A. (2003). Home schooling and legislated education.
Australia and New Zealand Journal of Law and Education, 2003. Vol. 8,
no. 1. 125 p.
- Homeschooling [Elektronnyi resurs]. New World Encyclopedia. Available at:
- HSLDA [Elektronnyi resurs]: Home School Legal Defense Association.
Available at: http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Russia/default.asp
- Isenberg E.J. What have we learned about homeschooling? Peabody Journal of
Education, 2007. Vol. 82, no. 2–3, pp. 387–409.
- Lange C.M., Liu K.K. Home-schooling: Parents’ reasons for transfer and the
implications for educational policy (Research Report No. 29) [Elektronnyi
resurs]. National Center on Educational Outcomes, Minneapolis, MN, 1999.
Available at: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED433595.pdf (Accessed
- Lyman I. Homeschooling: Back to the future? Policy Analysis № 294
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Cato Institute, 1998. Available at:
http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED415325.pdf (Accessed 19.07.2017).
- Mulyadia S., Rahardjoa W., Basukia A.M.H. The Role of Parent-Child
Relationship, Self-Esteem, Academic Self-Efficacy to Academic Stress. Procedia
– Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2016. Vol. 217, pp. 603–608.
- Neuman A., Aviram R. Home Schooling as a Fundamental Change in Lifestyle.
Evaluation and Research in Education, 2003. Vol. 17, no. 2–3,
pp. 132–143. doi:10.1080/09500790308668297
- Neumana A., Gutermanb O. Academic achievements and homeschooling — It all
depends on the goals. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 2016. Vol. 51,
pp. 1–6. doi:10.1016/j.stueduc.2016.08.005
- Ray B.D. Research Facts on Homeschooling [Elektronnyi resurs]. National
home education research institute, 2015. Available at:
- Schoolhouse [Elektronnyi resurs]. Available at:
http://www.schoolhouse.org.uk/ (Accessed 19.07.2017).
- Shahmohammadi N. Students’ coping with stress at high school level
particularly at 11th and 12th grade. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences,
2011. Vol. 30, pp. 395–401. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.10.078
- Sharma M., Jagdev T. Use of music therapy for enhancing self-esteem among
academically stressed adolescents. Pakistan Journal of Psychological Research,
2012. Vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 53–64.
- Sunderland M. 100 Reasons Why Homeschooling is Good for Families
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Abundant Life, 2014 Available at:
- Planty M. et al. The condition of education 2009: [Elektronnyi resurs] NCES
2009-081. Washington, DC: National Center for Education Statistics, 2007. 359
p. Available at: https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009081.pdf (Accessed
- Van Galen J. Ideology, curriculum, and pedagogy in home education
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Education and Urban Society, 1988. Vol. 21,
no. 1, pp. 52–68. Available at: