Low psychological resilience as a reason of low academic performance in schoolchildren 1008
PhD in Education, associate professor of the department of foreign and russian philology, Moscow State University of psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Education, Department of Foreign and Russian Philology, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
– assistant professor of the Department of Foreign and Russian philology, Moscow State University of Psychology & Educatio, Moscow, Russia
assistant professor of the Department of Foreign and Russian philology, Moscow State University of Psychology & Education, Moscow, Russia
The article reviews the array of English-language publications (dated 2014-2018) on psychological resilience of schoolchildren. It discloses three main areas of research. Firstly it presents an innovative and multi-system model of psychological stability – Multi-System Model of Resilience (MSRM) developed in 2017 in Ryerson University (Toronto, Canada). The review introduces a fundamental theoretical and empirical "cluster" of studies focused on a particular aspect of this issue in the global scientometric space of psychological resilience in students of all ages. It also gives an indication of the relevance of psychological resilience for secondary special education. We also tried to show some innovative approaches to strengthening the psychological resilience in children, adolescents and young people both connected and not connected with the educational environment, as well as examples of intersectoral and interdisciplinary cooperation in the study of this problem
- Arakelov G.G., Arshinova V.V., Zhdanova G.E. Stress-faktory, vliyayushchie
na formirovanie psikhosotsial'noi ustoichivosti lichnosti v period
studenchestva [Elektronnyi resurs] [Stress-factors influencing the formation of
the psychosocial stability of the individual during the student period].
Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie [Psychological Science and Education],
2008, no. 2, pp. 52–60. Available at:
21.03.2019). (In Russ.).
- Logvinova O.K. Vzaimodeistvie sem'i i shkoly v protsesse polikul'turnogo
obrazovaniya uchashchikhsya: amerikanskii opyt [Elektronnyi resurs] [The
interaction of family and school in the process of multicultural education of
students: the American experience]. Nauka i shkola [Science and School], 2013,
no. 6, pp. 36–39. Available at:
(Accessed 21.03.2019). (In Russ.).
- Oktari R.S. et al. A conceptual model of a school–community collaborative
network in enhancing coastal community resilience in Banda Aceh, Indonesia.
International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 2015, vol. 12, pp. 300–310.
- Beard A. Speech, language and communication: a public health issue across
the lifecourse. Pediatric and child health, 2018, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 126–131.
- Fisher L.K. et al. Biodiverse edible schools: Linking healthy food, school
gardens and local urban biodiversity. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening,
- Cortina M.A. et al. Cognitive styles and psychological functioning in rural
South African school students: Understanding influences for risk and resilience
in the face of chronic adversity. Journal of Adolescence, 2016, vol. 49, pp.
- Coronado-Hijón A. Academic resilience: a transcultural perspective.
Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2017, vol. 237, pp. 594–598.
- Lopez V. et al. Does building resilience in undergraduate nursing students
happen through clinical placements? A qualitative study. Nurse Education Today,
2018, vol. 67, pp. 1–5. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2018.04.020
- Frimpong-Manso K. Building and utilising resilience: The challenges and
coping mechanisms of care leavers in Ghana. Children and Youth Services Review,
2018, vol. 87, pp. 52–59. doi:10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.02.016
- Chawla L. et al. Green schoolyards as havens from stress and resources for
resilience in childhood and adolescence. Health & Place, 2014, vol. 28, pp.
- Hornor G. Resilience. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 2017, vol. 31, no.
3, pp. 384–390. doi:10.1016/j.pedhc.2016.09.005
- Infurna Fr.J., Luthar S.S. Re-evaluating the notion that resilience is
commonplace: A review and distillation of directions for future research,
practice, and policy. Clinical Psychology Review, 2018, vol. 65, pp. 43–56.
- Ji W.Y. The relationship among college students' psychological capital,
learning empowerment, and engagement. Learning and Individual Differences,
2016, vol. 49, pp. 17–24. doi:10.1016/j.lindif.2016.05.001
- Liu J.J.W., Reed M., Girard T.A. Advancing resilience: An integrative,
multi-system model of resilience. Personality and Individual Differences, 2017,
vol. 111, pp. 111–118. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2017.02.007
- Barger J. et al. Measuring Resilience in the Adolescent Population: A
Succinct Tool for Outpatient Adolescent Health. The Journal of Pediatrics,
2017, vol. 189, pp. 201–206. doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2017.06.030
- Liu Ch. et al. Negative life events and school adjustment among Chinese
nursing students: The mediating role of psychological capital. Nurse Education
Today, 2015, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 754–759. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2015.02.002
- Pereira N.S., Marques-Pinto A. Development of a social and emotional
learning program using educational dance: A participatory approach aimed at
middle school students. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 2018, vol. 59, pp.
- Pereira N.S., Marques-Pinto A. Including educational dance in an
after-school socio-emotional learning program significantly improves pupils’
self-management and relationship skills? A quasi experimental study. The Arts
in Psychotherapy, 2017, vol. 53, pp. 36–43. doi:10.1016/j.aip.2017.01.004
- Cleary M. et al. Promoting emotional intelligence and resilience in
undergraduate nursing students: An integrative review. Nurse Education Today,
2018, vol. 68, pp. 112–120. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2018.05.018
- Oldfield J. et al. Promoting or suppressing resilience to mental health
outcomes in at risk young people: The role of parental and peer attachment and
school connectedness. Journal of Adolescence, 2018, vol. 64, pp. 13–22.
- Holmes M.R. et al. Promoting the development of resilient academic
functioning in maltreated children. Child Abuse & Neglect, 2018, vol. 75,
pp. 92–103. doi:10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.07.018
- Oshio A. et al. Resilience and Big Five personality traits: A
meta-analysis. Personality and Individual Differences, 2018, vol. 127, pp.
- Dantzer R. et al. Resilience and immunity. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity,
2018, vol. 74, pp. 28–42. doi:10.1016/j.bbi.2018.08.010
- Sanders J., Munford R., Boden, J. Culture and context: The differential
impact of culture, risks and resources on resilience among vulnerable
adolescents. Children and Youth Services Review, 2017, vol. 79, pp. 517–526.
- Sattler K., Gershoff E. Thresholds of resilience and within- and
cross-domain academic achievement among children in poverty. Early Childhood
Research Quarterly, 2019, vol. 46, pp. 87–96.
- Sigalit W.W., Sivia B., Michal I. Factors associated with nursing
students′resilience: communication skills course, use of social media and
satisfaction with clinical placement. Journal of Professional Nursing, 2017,
vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 153–161. doi:10.1016/j.profnurs.2016.08.006
- Skovdal M., Campbell C. Beyond education: What role can schools play in the
support and protection of children in extreme settings? International Journal
of Educational Development, 2015, vol. 41, pp. 175–183.
- Soleimanpour S., Geierstanger S., Brindis Cl.D. Adverse Childhood
Experiences and Resilience: Addressing the Unique Needs of Adolescents.
Aсаdemic Pediatrics, 2017, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 108–114.
- Dray J. et al. Systematic Review of Universal Resilience-Focused
Interventions Targeting Child and Adolescent Mental Health in the School
Setting. Journal of the American Academy of child and adolescent psychiatry,
2017, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 813–824. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2017.07.780
- Theron L., van Rensburg A. Resilience over time: Learning from
school-attending adolescents living in conditions of structural inequality.
Journal of Adolescence, 2018, vol. 67, pp. 167–178.
- Theron L.C., Theron A.M.C. Education services and resilience processes:
Resilient Black South African students' experiences. Children and Youth
Services Review, 2014, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 297–306.
- Thomas L.J., Revell S.H. Resilience in nursing students: An integrative
review. Nurse Education Today, 2016, vol. 36, pp. 457–462.
- Folostin R. et al. Using Play And Drama In Developing Resilience In
Children At Risk. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2015, vol. 197,
pp. 2362–2368. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.07.283
- van Breda A.D., Theron L.C. A critical review of South African child and
youth resilience studies, 2009–2017. Children and Youth Services Review, 2018,
vol. 91, pp. 237–247. doi:10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.06.022
- von Essen E., Mårtensson F. Young adults' use of emotional food memories to
build resilience. Appetite, 2017, vol. 112, pp. 210–218.
- Cadime I. et al. Well-being and academic achievement in secondary school
pupils: The unique effects of burnout and engagement. Journal of Adolescence,
2016, vol. 53, pp. 169–179. doi:10.1016/j.adolescence.2016.10.003