Complex psychological trauma as a consequence of extreme stress 1161
The article presents a brief review of the concept of complex psychological trauma transformations over thirty years, which occurred since the moment when the term Complex Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) was proposed as a clinical syndrome of multiple psychological traumatization to its official recognition as a diagnostic construct. The article analyzes the dynamics of ideas about the causes and the nature of psychological trauma manifestations under the influence of extreme stress factors, which is reflected in the current nomenclatures of mental and somatic disorders. A comparative analysis of the specific characteristics of various types of psychological traumas that intersect with the term complex PTSD in the conceptual field of trauma psychology is presented. The basic characteristics of complex psychological trauma that distinguish it from similar terms are defined, and the ways of further research in this direction are outlined.
- Brewin C.R. et al. A review of current evidence regarding the ICD-11
proposals for diagnosing PTSD and complex PTSD. Clinical Psychological
Review, 2017. Vol. 58, pp. 1–15.
- Berto C. et al. Abnormal emotional processing in maltreated children
diagnosed of Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Child Abuse &
Neglect, 2017. Vol. 73, pp. 42–50.
- van Dijke A. et al. Association of childhood complex trauma and
dissociation with complex posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in adulthood.
Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 2015. Vol. 16, no. 4,
pp. 428–441. DOI:10.1080/15299732.2015.1016253
- Bremness A., Polzin W. Commentary: Developmental trauma disorder: a missed
opportunity in DSM-V [Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of the Canadian Academy
of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2014. Vol. 23, no. 2,
pp. 142–145. URL:
- Breslau N., Kesssler R.C. The stressor criterion in DSM-IV posttraumatic
stress disorder an empirical investigation. Biological Psychiatry, 2001.
Vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 699–704.
- Lueger-Schuster B. et al. Child abuse and neglect in institutional
settings, cumulative lifetime traumatization, and psychopathological long-term
correlates in adult survivors: The Vienna Institutional Abuse Study. Child
Abuse & Neglect, 2018. Vol. 76, pp. 488–501.
- Dugal C. et al. Childhood Interpersonal Trauma and its repercussions in
adulthood: an analysis of psychological and interpersonal sequelae. In
El-Baalbaki G., Fortin C. (eds.), A Multidimensional Approach to
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – from Theory to Practice. Rijeka: INTOCH,
2016. 244 p. DOI:10.5772/64476
- Giourou E. et al. Complex posttraumatic stress disorder: The need to
consolidate a distinct clinical syndrome or to reevaluate features of
psychiatric disorders following interpersonal trauma? World journal of
psychiatry, 2018. Vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 12–19.
- van Nieuwenhove K. et al. Core conflict relationship patterns in complex
trauma: A single-case study. Psychodynamic Practice, 2018. Vol. 24,
no. 3, pp. 245–260. DOI:10.1080/14753634.2018.1498801
- Steine I.M. et al. Cumulative childhood maltreatment and its dose-response
relation with adult symptomatology: findings in a sample of adult survivors of
sexual abuse. Child Abuse & Neglect, 2017. Vol. 65,
pp. 99–111. DOI:10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.01.008
- Damir D., Toader E. Posttraumatic Stress Syndrome – Ethical and
Biopsychosocial Implications. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences,
2014. Vol. 149, pp. 276–279. DOI:10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.08.229
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of
mental disorders : DSM-5. 5th ed. Washington DC; London: American Psychiatric
Publishing, 2013. 970 p. DOI:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596
- Van der Kolk B.A. et al. Disorders of extreme stress: The empirical
foundation of a complex adaptation to trauma. Journal of Traumatic
Stress, 2005. Vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 389–399.
- Karatzias T. et al. Evidence of distinct profiles of posttraumatic stress
disorder (PTSD) and complex posttraumatic stress disorder (CPTSD) based on the
new ICD-11 trauma questionnaire (ICD-TQ). Journal of Affective
Disorders, 2017. Vol. 207, pp. 181–187.
- Ford J.D. Complex trauma and complex posttraumatic stress disorder. In Gold
S.N. (ed.), APA handbooks in psychology. APA handbook of trauma psychology:
Foundations in knowledge. Washington, DC: American Psychological
Association, 2017, pp. 281–305. DOI:10.1037/0000019-015
- Ford J.D. Complex Trauma and Development Trauma Disorder in Adolescence.
Adolescent Psychiatry, 2017. Vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 220–235.
- Gerwitz A., Forgatch M., Wieling E. Parenting practices as potential
mechanisms for child adjustment following mass trauma. Journal of Marital
and Family Therapy, 2008. Vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 177–192.
- Hebert M., Langevin R., Oussaid E. Cumulative childhood trauma, emotion
regulation, dissociation, and behavior problems in school-aged sexual abuse
victims. Journal of Affective Disorders, 2018. Vol. 225,
pp. 306–312. DOI:10.1016/j.jad.2017.08.044
- Herman J.L. Complex PTSD: A syndrome in survivors of prolonged and repeated
trauma. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 1992. Vol. 5, no. 3,
pp. 377–391. DOI:10.1007/BF00977235
- Herman J.L. Trauma and recovery. New York: Basic Books, 1997. 290 p.
- O’Neill L. et al. Hidden burdens: a review of intergenerational, historical
and complex trauma, implications for indigenous families. Journal of Child
& Adolescent Trauma, 2018. Vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 173–186.
- Berthelot N. et al. Intergenerational transmission of attachment in abused
and neglected mothers: the role of trauma‐specific reflective functioning.
Infant Mental Health Journal, 2015. Vol. 36, no. 2,
pp. 200–212. DOI:10.1002/imhj.21499
- World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of
Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10) [Elektronnyi resurs]. Geneva:
World Health Organization, 2004. 1200 p. URL:
- Isobel S., Goodyear M., Foster K. Psychological trauma in the context of
familial relationships: a concept analysis. Trauma, Violence and Abuse,
2017. Vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 549–559.
- Kinsler Ph.J. Complex psychological trauma: the centrality of relationship.
London; New York: Routledge, 2017. 200 p.
- Luxenberg T., Spinazzola J., van der Kolk B. Complex Trauma Disorders of
Extreme Stress (DESNOS), Part One: Assessment [Elektronnyi resurs].
Directions in Psychiatry, 2001. Vol. 21, no. 25,
pp. 372–392. URL:
- McLaughlin K.A., Sheridan M.A. Beyond cumulative risk: A dimensional
approach to childhood adversity. Current Directions in Psychological
Science, 2016. Vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 239–245.
- Mosquera D., Steele K. Complex trauma, dissociation and Borderline
Personality Disorder: working with integration failures. European Journal of
Trauma & Dissociation, 2017. Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 63–71.
- Platt M.G., Freyd J.J. Betray my trust, shame on me: Shame, dissociation,
fear, and betrayal trauma. Psychological trauma: theory, research, practice,
and policy, 2015. Vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 398–404.
- Schmid M., Peterman F., Fegert J.M. Developmental trauma disorder: pros and
cons of including formal criteria in the psychiatric diagnostic systems
[Elektronnyi resurs]. BMS Psychiatry, 2013. Vol. 13, no. 3, 12
- Spinazzola J., van der Kolk B., Ford J.D. When nowhere is safe:
Interpersonal Trauma and Attachment Adversity as antecedents of Posttraumatic
Stress Disorder and Developmental Trauma Disorder. Journal of Traumatic
Stress, 2018. Vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 631–642.
- Tassie A.K. Vicarious resilience from attachment trauma: Reflections of
long-term therapy with marginalized young people. Journal of Social Work
Practice, 2015. Vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 191–204.
- D’Andrea W. et al. Understanding interpersonal trauma in children: why we
need a developmentally appropriate trauma diagnosis. American Journal of
Orthopsychiatry, 2012. Vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 187–200.
- Spinazzola J. et al. Unseen wounds: The contribution of psychological
maltreatment to child and adolescent mental health and risk outcomes.
Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice and Policy, 2014.
Vol. 6, no. S1, pp. 18–28. DOI:10.1037/a0037766
- Van der Kolk B. A. Developmental trauma disorder: Toward a rational
diagnosis for children with complex trauma histories. Psychiatric
Annals, 2005. Vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 401–408.
- Hyland P. et al. Variation in post-traumatic response: the role of trauma
type in predicting ICD-11 PTSD and CPTSF symptoms. Social Psychiatry and
Psychiatric, 2017. Vol. 52, pp. 727–36.
- Wamser-Nanney R., Cherry K.E. Children’s trauma-related symptoms following
complex trauma exposure: evidence of gender difference. Child Abuse &
Neglect, 2018. Vol. 77, pp. 188–197.