Personalization in education: from programmed to adaptive learning 271
Master’s in Psychology, , National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Master's in Business Informatics, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Degree in Sociology, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Bachelor's in History, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Educational Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Adaptive learning is a learning service that adapts quickly and continuously to the individual characteristics of students. Our study is a literature review that includes a brief analysis of the history of development, the main modern approaches and methods of implementation, the educational potential of adaptive platforms and the directions of the future development of adaptive learning. The literature review allowed us to describe and analyze the main stages of learning development: from programmable to adaptive. Its results are aimed at helping researchers and developers gain a general and comprehensive understanding of adaptive learning and its development trends.
The reported study was funded by Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR), project number № 19-113-50415
- Landa L.N. Algoritmizatsiya v obuchenii [Algorithmization in teaching].
Moscow: Prosveshchenie, 1966. 524 p. (In Russ.).
- Talyzina N.F. Teoreticheskie problemy programmirovannogo obucheniya
[Theoretical problems of programmed learning]. Moscow: MGU, 1969. 132 p.
- Kidzinski L. et al. A tutorial on machine learning in educational science.
In Y. Li et al. (eds.), State-of-the-Art and Future Directions of Smart
Learning (Lecture Notes in Educational Technology). Springer, Singapore,
2015, pp. 453–459.
- Abbakumov D., Desmet P., Van den Noortgate W. Measuring growth in students’
proficiency in MOOCs: Two component dynamic extensions for the Rasch model.
Behavior Research Methods, 2019. Vol. 51, no. 1,
pp. 332–341. DOI:10.3758/s13428-018-1129-1
- Nabizadeh A.H. et al. Adaptive learning path recommender approach using
auxiliary learning objects. Computers & Education, 2020.
Vol. 147, pp. 1–17. DOI:10.1016/j.compedu.2019.103777
- Nabih A.H. et al. Adaptive Social Learning Management System to Develop
University Students Achievement. Egyptian Computer Science Journal,
2020. Vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 35–47.
- Aghababyan A., Lewkow N., Baker R.S. Enhancing the Clustering of Student
Performance Using the Variation in Confidence. Proceedings of International
Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Cham: Springer, 2018,
- Bingham A.J. et al. Ahead of the curve: Implementation challenges in
personalized learning school models. Educational Policy, 2018.
Vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 454–489. DOI:10.1177/0895904816637688
- Bloom B.S. The 2 sigma problem: The search for methods of group instruction
as effective as one-to-one tutoring. Educational researcher, 1984.
Vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 4–16. DOI:10.2307/1175554
- Boyce S., O’Halloran J. Active Learning in Computer-based College Algebra.
Primus, 2020. Vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 458–474.
- Brusilovsky P., Pesin L. Adaptive Educational Hypermedia [Elektronnyi
resurs]. Proceedings of Tenth International PEG conference: Tampere,
Finland, 23-26 June 2001). Tampere, 2001, pp. 8–12. URL:
https://pitt.edu/~peterb/papers/PEG01.pdf (Accessed 20.07.2020).
- Linden K. et al. Can we calm first-year student’s «neuroscience anxiety»
with adaptive learning resources? A pilot study [Elektronnyi resurs].
Proceedings of ASCILITE 2018: Open Oceans: Learning without borders.
Geelong, 2018, pp. 451–455. URL:
- Carbonell J.R. AI in CAI: An Artificial-intelligence Approach to Computer
Assisted Instruction. IEEE Transactions on Man-Machine Systems, 1970.
Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 190–202. DOI:10.1109/TMMS.1970.299942
- Chen C.M., Liu C.Y., Chang M.H. Personalized curriculum sequencing
utilizing modified item response theory for web-based instruction. Expert
Systems with Applications, 2006. Vol. 30, no. 2,
pp. 378–396. DOI:10.1016/j.eswa.2005.07.029
- Chiu T.K.F., Mok I.A.C. Learner expertise and mathematics different order
thinking skills in multimedia learning. Computers & Education, 2017.
Vol. 107, pp. 147–164. DOI:10.1016/j.compedu.2017.01.008
- Chrysafiadi K., Troussas C., Virvou M. A Framework for Creating Automated
Online Adaptive Tests Using Multiple-Criteria Decision Analysis. Proceedings
of 2018 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics:
Miyazaki, Japan, 7–10 October 2018). Miyazaki: IEEE, 2018,
pp. 226–231. DOI:10.1109/SMC.2018.00049
- Clark R.M., Kaw A., Delgado E.E. Board 69: Do Adaptive Lessons for
Pre-class Experience Improve Flipped Learning? [Elektronnyi resurs]. 2018
ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition (Salt Lake City, Utah, June 2018).
Salt Lake City: American Society for Engineering Education, 2018. 13 p.
URL: https://peer.asee.org/30088 (Accessed 20.07.2020).
- Crowder N.A. Automatic tutoring by means of intrinsic programming. In E.
Galanter (ed.), Automatic teaching: The state of the art. New York:
Wiley, 1959, pp. 109–116.
- Al-Mahmood R. et al. Digital identity and e-reputation: Showcasing an
adaptive eLearning module to develop students’ digital literacies.
Proceedings of 35th International Conference of Innovation, Practice and
Research in the use of Educational Technologies in Tertiary Education: Deakin
University, Geelong, Australia, 25-28 November 2018. Geelong: Deakin
University, 2018, pp. 25–34.
- Farmer E.C., Catalano A.J., Halpern A.J. Exploring Student Preference
between Textbook Chapters and Adaptive Learning Lessons in an Introductory
Environmental Geology Course. TechTrends, 2020. Vol. 64,
pp. 150–157. DOI:10.1007/s11528-019-00435-w
- Fautch J.M. Adaptive Learning Technology in General Chemistry: Does It
Support Student Success? In S.K. Hartwell, T. Gupta (eds.), Enhancing
Retention in Introductory Chemistry Courses: Teaching Practices and
Assessments. American Chemical Society, 2019, pp. 91–104.
- Galperin P.I. Stage-by-stage formation as a method of psychological
investigation. Journal of Russian and East European Psychology, 1992.
Vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 60–80. DOI:10.2753/RPO1061-0405300460
- Lura D.J. et al. Homework Methods in Engineering Mechanics: Part 3
[Elektronnyi resurs]. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, 2017.
7 p. URL:
- Hssina B., Erritali M. A Personalized Pedagogical Objectives Based on a
Genetic Algorithm in an Adaptive Learning System. Procedia Computer
Science, 2019. Vol. 151, pp. 1152–1157.
- Normadhi N.B.A. et al. Identification of personal traits in adaptive
learning environment: Systematic literature review. Computers &
Education, 2019. Vol. 130, pp. 168–190.
- Kerr P. Adaptive learning. ETL Journal, 2016. Vol. 70,
no. 1, pp. 88–93. DOI:10.1093/elt/ccv055
- Lowendahl J.M., Thayer T.L.B., Morgan G. Top 10 strategic technologies
impacting higher education in 2016 [Elektronnyi resurs]. Gartner
Research, 2016. URL:
- Martin F., Markant D. Adaptive learning modules. In M.E. David, M.J. Amey
(eds.), The SAGE encyclopedia of higher education. London: Sage, 2020,
- Matayoshi J., Cosyn E. Identifying Student Learning Patterns with
Semi-Supervised Machine Learning Models. In J.C. Yang et al. (eds.),
Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Computers in
Education. 2018, pp. 11–20.
- Forsyth B. et al. Maximizing the Adaptive Learning Technology Experience
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of Higher Education Theory and Practice,
2016. Vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 80–88. URL:
- Natriello G. The Adaptive Learning Landscape [Elektronnyi resurs].
Teachers College Record, 2017. Vol. 119, no. 3, 46 p.
- Fang Y. et al. Online Learning Persistence and Academic Achievement
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on
Educational Data Mining: Wuhan, China, 25-28 June 2017. Wuhan: ERIC,
2017, pp. 312–317. URL:
- Pask G. Electronic keyboard teaching machines. Education and
Commerce, 1958. Vol. 24, pp. 16–26.
- Reddy S., Labutov I., Joachims T. Learning student and content embeddings
for personalized lesson sequence recommendation. Proceedings of the Third
(2016) ACM Conference on Learning: Edinburgh, Scotland UK, April 25–26.
Edinburgh, 2016, pp. 93–96. DOI:10.1145/2876034.2893375
- Skinner B.F. Teaching Machines. Science, 1958. Vol. 128,
no. 3330, pp. 969–977. DOI:10.1126/science.128.3330.969
- Nye B.D. et al. SKOPE-IT (Shareable Knowledge Objects as Portable
Intelligent Tutors): overlaying natural language tutoring on an adaptive
learning system for mathematics. International journal of STEM
education, 2018. Vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 1–20.
- Xie J. et al. Student learning strategies and behaviors to predict success
in an online adaptive mathematics tutoring system. Proceedings of the 10th
International Conference on Educational Data Mining. 2017,
- Sun Q., Norman T.J., Abdourazakou Y. Perceived value of interactive digital
textbook and adaptive learning: Implications on student learning effectiveness.
Journal of Education for Business, 2018. Vol. 93, no. 7,
pp. 323–331. DOI:10.1080/08832323.2018.1493422
- Samulski T.D. et al. The utility of adaptive eLearning in cervical
cytopathology education. Cancer cytopathology, 2018. Vol. 126,
no. 2, pp. 129–135. DOI:10.1002/cncy.21942
- Wang Y., Liao H.C. Adaptive learning for ESL based on computation.
British Journal of Educational Technology, 2011. Vol. 42,
no. 1, pp. 66–87. DOI:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2009.00981.x
- Wauters K., Desmet P., Van Den Noortgate W. Item difficulty estimation: An
auspicious collaboration between data and judgment. Computers &
Education, 2012. Vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1183–1193.
- Wenger E. Artificial Intelligence and Tutoring Systems. Los Altos, CA:
Morgan Kaufmann Publisher, 1987. 485 p.
- Yudelson M., Koedinger K.R., Gordon G.J. Individualized bayesian knowledge
tracing models. In Proceedings of 16th International Conference on
Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED 2013). Springer, 2013,
pp. 171–180. DOI:10.1007/978-3-642-39112-5_18
- Zhong J. Actively Engage Students with Diverse Background Using a More
Personalized Approach. IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE): San
Jose, CA, USA, 3–6 Oct. 2018. San Jose: IEEE, 2018, pp. 1–5.