Self-efficacy in the educational process (review of foreign studies) 135
The article provides an overview of foreign studies on self-efficacy in learning. Its theoretical basis is the concept of self-efficacy proposed by A. Bandura within the framework of social-cognitive personality theory. The article provides an overview of modern studies examining academic self-efficacy of learners, including those involved in distance learning. The relationship between academic self-efficacy and academic achievement of students is analyzed. Separately, the self- efficacy and collective efficacy of teachers, as well as their relationship with the academic success of students are considered.
- Bulynko N.A., Kolomeitsev Yu. K probleme samoeffektivnosti lichnosti v
psikhologii [On the problem of personality self-efficacy in psychology]
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Vestnik Mozyrskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo
universiteta im. I.P. Shamyakina [Bulletin of the Mozyr State Pedagogical
University. I.P. Shamyakina], 2009. Vol. 3, no. 24,
pp. 37–46. URL:
(Accessed 28.09.2020). (In Russ.).
- Pogorelov A.A. Samoeffektivnost' kak prediktor effektivnogo i bezopasnogo
povedeniya lichnosti [Pogorelov A.A. Self-efficiency as a predictor of
effective and safe behavior of a person] [Elektronnyi resurs]. Izvestiya
Yuzhnogo federal'nogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Southern Federal
University], 2012. Vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 140–145. URL:
(Accessed 28.09.2020). (In Russ.).
- Alavi S.B., McCormick J. The roles of perceived task interdependence and
group members' interdependence in the development of collective efficacy in
university student group contexts. British Journal of Educational
Psychology, 2008. Vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 375–393.
- Allinder R.M. The relationship between efficacy and the instructional
practices of special education teachers and consultants. Teacher Education
and Special Education, 1994. Vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 86–95.
- Bandura A. Exercise of human agency through collective efficacy. Current
Directions in Psychological Science, 2000. Vol. 9, no. 3,
pp. 75–78. DOI:10.1111/1467-8721.00064
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: Toward a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change.
Psychological Review, 1977. Vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 191–215.
- Bandura A. Social cognitive theory: an agentic perspective. Annual
review of psychology, 2001. Vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–26.
- Chambliss C.A., Murray E.J. Efficacy attribution, locus of control, and
weight loss. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 1979. Vol. 3,
no. 4, pp. 349–354. DOI:10.1007/BF01184448
- Wang Y. et al. Characteristics of distance learners: Research on
relationships of learning motivation, learning strategy, self-efficacy,
attribution and learning results. Open Learning: The Journal of Open,
Distance and e-Learning, 2008. Vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 17–28.
- Cherrez N.J. Threading Self-Regulation and Self-Efficacy in a Flipped
College Spanish Course. In B. Hokanson et al. (eds.), Course Educational
Technology Beyond Content. Springer, Cham, 2020, pp. 165–175.
- Code J. Agency for Learning: Intention, Motivation, Self-Efficacy and
Self-Regulation. Frontiers in Education, 2020. Vol. 5, no. 19.
- Comunian A.L. Some characteristics of relations among depression, anxiety,
and self‐efficacy. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1989. Vol. 69,
no. 3. Pt. 1, pp. 755–764. DOI:10.1177/00315125890693-109
- Del Río M.F., Lagos C., Walker H. El efecto de las experiencias de práctica
en el desarrollo del sentido de autoeficacia en la formación inicial de
educadoras de párvulos [The effect of practicum experiences on the development
of self-efficacy beliefs in nursery school initial teacher education].
Estudios pedagógicos (Valdivia), 2011. Vol. 37, no. 1,
pp. 149–166. DOI:10.4067/S071807052011000100008
- Robbins S.B. et al. Dopsychosocial andstudyskillfactors
predictcollegeoutcomes? A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 2004.
Vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 261–288.
- Fencl H.S., Scheel K.R. Engaging students: an examination of the effects of
teaching strategies on self-efficacy and course climate in a no majors physics
course. Journal of College Science Teaching, 2005. Vol. 35,
no. 1, pp. 20–25.
- Gahungu O.N. The relationships among strategy use, self-efficacy and
language ability in foreign language learners [Elektronnyi resurs]. Dr. Sci.
(Education In Curriculum and Instruction) diss. Northern Arizona University,
2007. 195 p.URL:
- Ghadampour E., Beiranvand K. Effect of cognitive and metacognitive learning
strategies training on academic procrastination and self efficacy in students
[Elektronnyi resurs]. Advances in Cognitive Sciences, 2019.
Vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 31–41. URL:
- Goddard R.D., Hoy W.K., Hoy A.W. Collective Teacher Efficacy: Its Meaning,
Measure, and Impact on Student Achievement. American Educational Research
Journal, 2000. Vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 479–507.
- Gürbüz O., Burcu K. A Scale Development Study to Determine the Self
Efficacy Beliefs of University Students for English [Elektronnyi resurs].
Anatolian Journal of Education, 2020. Vol. 5, no. 1,
pp. 53–66. URL: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1249161.pdf (Accessed
- Hammar Ch.E., Rosander M., Forslund F.K. An educational intervention to
increase efficacy and interdependence in group work. Education Quarterly
Reviews, 2019. Vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 435–447.
- Kitikanan P., Sasimonton P. The relationship between English self-efficacy
and English learning achievement of L2 Thai learners [Elektronnyi resurs].
Learn Journal: Language Education and Acquisition Research Network,
2017. Vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 149–164. URL:
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1229638.pdf (Accessed 28.09.2020).
- Maddux J.E., Norton L.W., Stoltenberg C.D. Self-efficacy expectancy,
outcome expectancy, and outcome value: Relative effects on behavioral
intentions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1986.
Vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 783–789. URL:
- Magogwe J.M., Oliver R. The relationship between language learning
strategies, proficiency, age and self-efficacy beliefs: A study of language
learners in Botswana. System, 2007. Vol. 35, no. 3,
pp. 338–352. DOI:10.1016/j.system.2007.01.003
- Manju Ms. Das S.K., Velmuruga Dr.R. A Review on the Kinship of
Self-efficacy and A Review on the Kinship of Self-efficacy and Learning
Behaviour. Erudition The Albertian Journal of Management, 2019,
- Neuville S., Frenay M., Bourgeois E. Task value, self-efficacy and goal
orientations: Impact on selfregulated learning, choice and performance among
university students. Psychologica Belgica, 2007. Vol. 47,
no. 1/2, pp. 95–117.
- Ormrod J.E. Educational Psychology: Developing Learners. 5th ed. N.J.,
Merrill: Upper Saddle River, 2006. 768 p.
- Pajares F., Graham L. Self‐efficacy, motivation constructs, and mathematics
performance of entering middle school students. Contemporary Educational
Psychology, 1999. Vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 124–139.
- Pajares F., Kranzler J. Self‐efficacy beliefs and general mental ability in
mathematical problem‐solving. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 1995.
Vol. 20, pp. 426–443. DOI:10.1006/ceps.1995.1029
- Pintrich P.R., DeGroot E.V. Motivational and self-regulated learning
components of classroom academic performance. Journal of Educational
Psychology, 1990. Vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 33–40.
- Reyes J.D. Mathematics Anxiety and Self-Efficacy: A Phenomenological
Dimension [Elektronnyi resurs]. Journal of Humanities and Education
Development (JHED), 2019. Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–34. URL:
- Richardson M., Abraham C., Bond R. Psychological correlates of university
students’ academic performance: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Psychological Bulletin, 2012. Vol. 138, no. 2,
pp. 353–387. DOI:10.1037/a0026838
- Saif A.A. Modern educational psychology. Psychology of learning and
teaching. Tehran: Douran. Persian, 2012.
- Salomon G. Television is «easy» and print is «tough»: The differential
investment of mental effort in learning as a function of perceptions and
attributions. Journal of Educational Psychology, 1984. Vol. 76,
no. 4, pp. 647–658. DOI:10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.117
- Sardegna V.G., Lee J., Kusey C. Self-efficacy, attitudes, and choice of
strategies for English pronunciation learning. Language Learning, 2018.
Vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 83–114. DOI:10.1111/lang.12263
- Schunk D.H. Self‐efficacy and academic motivation. Educational
Psychologist, 1991. Vol. 26, no. 3–4, pp. 207–231.
- Schunk D.H., Pajares F. The development of academic self-efficacy. In J.S.
Wigfield (ed.), Eccles Development of achievement motivation.
California: Academic Press, 2002, pp. 15–31.
- Bandura A. et al. Self‐efficacy pathways to childhood depression.
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1999. Vol. 76,
no. 2, pp. 258–269. DOI:10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1688
- Warren L. et al. Self-efficacy, performance and the role of blended
learning. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 2020,
pp. 1–14. DOI:10.1108/JARHE-08-2019-0210
- Tahmassian K., Jalali M.N. Relationship between self‐efficacy and symptoms
of anxiety, depression, worry and social avoidance in a normal sample of
students [Elektronnyi resurs]. Iranian journal of psychiatry and behavioral
sciences, 2011. Vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 91–98. URL:
- Caprara G.V. et al. Teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs as determinants of job
satisfaction and students’ academic achievement: A study at the school level.
Journal of School Psychology, 2006. Vol. 44, no.4,
pp. 473–490. DOI:10.1016/j.jsp.2006.09.001
- Tilfarlioglu F.T., Cinkara E. Self-efficacy in EFL: Differences among
proficiency groups and relationship with success [Elektronnyi resurs].
Novatis-Royal, 2009. Vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 129–142. URL:
- Tladi L.S. Perceived ability and success: which self-efficacy measures
matter? A distance learning perspective. Open Learning: The Journal of Open,
Distance and eLearning, 2017. Vol. 32, no. 3.
- Tran Q.Th., Nguyen H.N.K. Insights into tertiary English-majored students’
writing self-efficacy. TNU Journal of Science and Technology, 2020.
Vol. 225, no. 10, pp. 47–54.
- Tyas A.S., Senam A.W. Chemistry teaching self-efficacy: A scale
development. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2020.
- Underwood J.D.M. Student attitudes towards socially acceptable and
unacceptable group working practices. British Journal of Psychology,
2003. Vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 319–337.
- Usher E.L., Pajares F. Sources of self-efficacy in mathematics: A
validation study. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 2009.
Vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 89–101.
- Wahyuingsih J.W. Improved Engagement with Personality, Self-Efficacy, and
Job Satisfaction Development. TEST Engineering & Management, 2020.
Vol. 83, pp. 23461–23472.
- Wang A.Y., Newlin M.H. Predictors of web-student performance: The role of
self-efficacy and reasons for taking an on-line class. Computers in Human
Behavior, 2002. Vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 151–163.
- Wong M.S.-L. Language learning strategies and language self-efficacy:
Investigating the relationship in Malaysia. RELC Journal, 2005.
Vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 245–269. DOI:10.1177/0033688205060050
- Woolfolk A., Hoy W.K. Prospective teachers' sense of efficacy and beliefs
about control. Journal of Educational Psychology, 1990. Vol. 82,
no. 1, pp. 81–82. DOI:10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.124
- Yokoyama S. Academic Self-Efﬁcacy and Academic Performance in Online
Learning: A Mini Review. Frontiers in psychology, 2019. Vol. 9,
- Zamfir A.‐M., Mocanu C. Perceived Academic Self‐Efficacy among Romanian
Upper Secondary Education Students. International Journal of Environmental
Research and Public Health, 2020. Vol. 17, no. 13,
- Zimmerman B.J. Self-efficacy: An essential motive to learn. Contemporary
Educational Psychology, 2000. Vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 82–91.
- Zimmerman B.J., Bandura A. Impact of selfregulatory influences on writing
course attainment. American Educational Research Journal, 1994.
Vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 845–862. DOI:10.3102/00028312031004845