Previous issue (2020. Vol. 16, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Effectiveness of child-parent communication and intellectual development of deaf children 1416
PhD in Psychology, Associate professor, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
Article describes communication tools that deaf children's parents use and their effectiveness assessment in terms of effecting child's intellectual development. Two types of families participated in the study: with deaf and hearing parents. Assessment of child-parent communication tools was carried out by a questionnaire and an experimental situation of communication. IQ was measured by Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children (K-ABC).
Study shows difficulties that hearing parents have in the process of communication with their deaf children, proving the need of educating parents about special tools of communication. As a result children 7—8 years old fall behind in the level of verbal intellect development compared to their hearing peers due to communication deficit in their families. Deaf children of deaf parents are performing significantly higher on verbal intellect tests administered in sign language than children in hearing families.
Keywords: cognitive development, deaf children, sign language, child-parent relationship
Column: Empirical Research
- Bogdanova T.G. Surdopsihologiya. M., 2002.
- Bogdanova T.G., Mazurova N.V. Vliyanie vnutrisemeinyh otnoshenii na razvitie lichnosti gluhih mladshih shkol'nikov // Defektologiya. 1998. № 3.
- Bonvillian Dzh., Nel'son K., Charrou V. Yazyk i yazykovye sposobnosti u gluhih detei i detei s normal'nym sluhom // Psiholingvistika: Sbornik statei / Рod red. A.M. Shahnarovicha. M., 1984.
- Frumkina R.M. Psiholingvistika. M., 2001.
- Hohlova A.Yu. Biologicheskie, psihologicheskie i social'nye faktory, vliyayushie na intellektual'noe razvitie detei s narusheniyami sluha v zarubezhnoi psihologii gluhih // Special'naya psihologiya. 2005. № 3 - 4 (5 - 6).
- Hohlova A.Yu. Izuchenie osobennostei detsko-roditel'skogo vzaimodeistviya v sem'yah gluhih i slyshashih roditelei, vospityvayushih gluhih detei // Defektologiya. 2007. № 3.
- Yann P.A. Vospitanie i obuchenie gluhogo rebenka: Surdopedagogika kak nauka. M., 2003.
- Kaufman A.S., Kaufman N.L. Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children: Interpretive Manual. MN, 1983.
- Marshark M. Psychological Development of Deaf Children. N. Y., 1993.
- Moores D. Educating The Deaf: Psychology, Principles and Practices. Boston, 1987.
- Ulissi S.M., Brice P.J., Gibbins S. Use of the Kaufman Assessment Battery for сhildren with the hearing impaired // American Annals of the Deaf. 1989. Oct.