Previous issue (2019. Vol. 15, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
The Value and Meaning: The Dynamics of Their Interchanges During the Reading of the Text 1176
Doctor of Psychology, Professor at the Psychology chair, The «Dubna» University, Dubna, Russia
PhD in Psychology, Associate Professor, Chair of Psychology, International University of Nature, Dubna, Russia
Ph.D. Student, Psychology Department, International University of Nature, Society and Man «Dubna», Dubna, Russia
An experimental approach to the problem of interaction between meaning and value, earlier denoted by L. S. Vygotsky, is presented. The features of micro-dynamics of two types of reading (popular scientific and fiction) of fragmented texts were studied with varying the number of words within a single exposition. After reading all the fragments the participants were asked to retell the contents of the text as close to the original as possible; in addition, they were tested for recognition of words from the text. The results support the hypothesis that the large values of time of reading the fragment, occasionally met in the relatively fast dynamic profile were associated with the process of sense generation that goes hand in hand with the perception of the meaning of the separate words. The factors affecting the parameters of the dynamic profile of reading and quality of the text reproduction were identified using analysis of variance.
Keywords: perception, reading, meaning, generation of sense, reproduction, understanding
Column: Empirical Research
- Vygotsky L. S. Myshlenie i rech' // Vygotskii L. S. Sobr. soch.: V
6 t. T. 2. M., 1982.
- Egorov T. G. Psihologiya ovladeniya navykom chteniya. SPb.,
- Zhinkin N. I. Yazyk. Rech'. Tvorchestvo (Izbrannye trudy). M.,
- Zinchenko V. P. Zhivoe znanie. Samara: 1998.
- Leont'ev A. A. Osnovy psiholingvistiki. M., 1999.
- Luriya A. R. Yazyk i soznanie. M., 1998.
- Nazarov A. I., Sokolov R. V. Mikrodinamika poslovnogo chteniya //
Voprosy psihologii. 2008. № 3.
- Nazarov A. I., Meshcheryakov B. G. Dvizheniya glaz v processe
chteniya (po materialam zarubezhnyh rabot) //
Psihologicheskii zhurnal Mezhdunarodnogo universiteta prirody,
obshestva i cheloveka «Dubna». 2009. № 2.
- Sokolov A. N. Vnutrennyaya rech' i myshlenie. M., 1968.
- Best R. M., Floyd R. G., McNamara D. S. Differential Competencies
Contributing to Children's Comprehension of Narrative and Expository Texts //
Reading Psychology. Mar/Apr. 2008. Vol. 29. Issue 2.
- Clifton C. Jr., Duffy S. A. Sentence and text comprehension: roles
of linguistic structure // Annu. Rev. Psychol. 2001. № 52.
- Crocker M. W., Pickering M., Clifton C. Jr., eds. Architectures
and Mechanisms for Language Processing. Cambridge, 2000.
- Das J. P., Georgiou G., Janzen T. Influence of Distal and Proximal
Cognitive Processes on Word Reading // Reading Psychology. Jul/Aug. 2008. Vol.
29. Issue 4.
- Frazier L. On Sentence Interpretation. Dordrecht. 1999.
- Linderholm T., Xiaosi C., Qin Z. Differences in Low and High
WorkingMemory Capacity Readers' Cognitive and Metacognitive Processing Patterns
as a Function of Reading for Different Purposes // Reading Psychology. Jan/Feb.
2008. Vol. 29. Issue 1.
- Lynch J. S., Broek van den P., Kremer K. E., Kendeou P., White M. J.,
Lorch E. P. The Development of Narrative Comprehension and Its Relation to
Other Early Reading Skills // Reading Psychology. Jul/Aug. 2008. Vol. 29. Issue
- McConkie G. W., & Rayner K. The span of the effective stimulus
during a fixa tion in reading // Perception and Psychophysics.1975. Vol.
- Wolff U. Subgrouping of readers based on performance measures: a
latent profile analysis // Reading and writing. 2009. № 9.