Previous issue (2020. Vol. 16, no. 2)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Cultural-historical methodology of the study of human development in transitions 1278
Doctor of Psychology, Professor, University of Oulu,Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences. Editor, Journal of Russian and East European Psychology, University of Oulu, Helsinki, Finland
Many methodological ideas of Vygotsky’s cultural-historical psychology still are hypothetical and require further elaboration and empirical evidence. Such theoretical concepts as social situation of development, crisis and latent period, neoformation, psychological age, the zone of proximal development etc. are involved in transitions. But the mechanism of transition still needs specifying. In our intervention study we have focused on the transition from play to learning activity. We introduce the concept of transitory activity system, which is specified in our study as a hybrid activity of play and learning. We have named this hybrid activity «narrative learning» following the ideas of Donald and Bruner. The second level of research is comprised from a series of playworld projects in vertically integrated multiage classrooms (4 – 8 years olds). Adult interventions consist of inviting children to imaginative environment, presenting role characters and their relations, introducing challenging problems, organizing children’s dialogues and providing opportunities for child-initiated play.
Keywords: cultural-historical methodology; genetic experiment; developmental transition; transitory activity system; neoformation; narrative learning; narrative intervention
Column: Theory and Methodology
- Blunden A. An interdisciplinary theory of activity. Leiden, 2010.
- Bodrova E., Leong D. J. Tools of the mind. Englewood Cliffs, 1996.
- Brown K., Cole M. Cultural historical activity theory and the expansion of opportunities for learning after school. In G. Wells, G Claxton (Eds.) Learning for life in the 21st century. Oxford, 2002.
- Bruner J. The culture of education. Cambridge, MA, 1996.
- Cassirer E. An Essay on Man. New Haven, 1944.
- Davydov V. V. Teoriya razvivayushego obuceniya. [Theory of developmental education] Moscow, 1996.
- Davydov V. V., Kudryavtsev V. T. Razvivayushie obucenie. Teoreticeskaya osnova perekhoda ot doshkol’nogo do shkol’nogo obuceniya. [Developing education: Theoretical basis of transition from preschool to school] // Voprosy psikhologii, 1997, № 1.
- El'konin B. D. Vvedenyje v psichologiju razvityja [Introduction to Developmental Psychology]. Moscow, 1994.
- El’konin B. D., Zinchenko, V. P. Developmental psychology or psychology of development, 2002. http://www.i-u.ru/biblio/archive/elkonin%5Fpsihrazv/ (Retrieved 08.10.2010)
- El'konin D. B. Psikhologiya igry. [Psychology of play]. Moscow, 1978.
- El’konin D. B. Izbrannye psikhologicheskie trudy. Tom 1 [Collected psychological works, Vol. 1]. Moscow, 1989.
- El'konin D. B. Psikhologiceskie voprosy doshkol'noi igry // Leontiev A. N. and Zaporozhets A. V. (eds.). Voprosy psikhologii rebenka doshkol'nogo vozrasta. Moscow, 1995.
- El'konin D. B. The Development of Play in Preschoolers // Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 1999, Vol. 37, № 6.
- El'konin D. B. Psychology of play I—II // Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 2005, Vol. 43.
- El'koninova L. I. The Object Orientation of Children's Play in the Context of Understanding Imaginary Space — Time in Play and Stories // Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 2001, Vol. 39, № 2.
- El'koninova L. I., Bazanova T. V. K probleme prisvoeniya smyslov v syushetno-rolevoi igre doshkol'nikov [On the problem of forming sense in pretend role play of preschoolers]. Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta. Ser. 14. Psikhologiya. 2004, № 3.
- Engeström Y. Learning by expanding. Helsinki, 1987.
- Engeström Y. Development, movement and agency: Breaking away into mycorrhizae activities. In K. Yamazumi (Ed.), Building activity theory in practice: Toward the next generation. Osaka, 2006.
- Fisher W. Human communication as narration: Toward a philosophy of reason, value, and action. Columbia, 1987.
- Gutierres K. D., Baquedano-Lopez P., Tejeda C. Rethinking diversity: hybridity and hybrid language practices in the third space. Mind, culture, activity. 1999, № 6 (4).
- Hakkarainen P. Kehittävä esiopetus ja oppiminen, [Developmental preschool education and learning]. Jyväskylä, Finland, 2002.
- Hakkarainen P. The challenges and possibilities of narrative learning approach in the Finnish early childhood educations system. International Journal of Educational Research. 2008, № 47.
- Hakkarainen P. Development of motivation in play and narratives. In S. Blenkinshop (ed.) The Imagination in Education: Extending the Boundaries of Theory and Practice. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne. 2009.
- Hakkarainen P., Bredikyte M. The zone of proximal development in play and learning. Cultural-historical psychology. 2008, № 4.
- Hakkarainen P., Bredikyte M. Vygotsky’ non-classical psychology today: implications for theory and practice. 2009.
- Kasavin I. T. Smysl [Sense] In I. T. Kasavin (ed.) Sotsialnaya epistemologiya. Moscow, 2010.
- Kravtsov G. G., Kravtsova, E. Play in L. S. Vygotsky’s non-classical psychology. Journal of Russian and East European Psychology , 2010 (in print).
- Lektorsky V. A. Mediation as a means of collective activity In A. Sannino, H. Daniels, K. D. Gutierrez (Eds.) Learning and Expanding with Activity Theory. New York, 2009.
- Leont'ev A. N. Activity, Consciousness, and Personality. . New York, 1978.
- Lindqvist G. The Aesthetics of Play. A Didactic Study of Play and Culture in Preschools. Stockholm, 1995.
- Mescheryakov A. Awakening to Life: On the Education of Deaf-Blind Children in the Soviet Union. Moscow, 1974. Электронная версия: http://vygotsky.dk/iscar-dk/wp-content/uploads/Medier/Udgivelser/Meshcheryakov-awakening-MIAP.pdf
- Slobodcikov V. I., Tsukerman G. A. Integral Periodization of General Psychological Development. Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 2003, Vol. 41, № 6.
- van der Veer R., Valsiner J. Understanding Vygotsky: A quest for synthesis. Oxford, 1991.
- Vygotsky L. S. Igra i ee rol' v psikhiceskom razvitii rebenka // Voprosy psikhologii. 1966, № 6.
- Vygotsky L. S. Play and its role in the mental development of the child. In Cole M. (ed.). Soviet develomental psychology. New York, 1977.
- Vygotsky L. S. Sobranie sochinenii Т. 1 [Collected works]. Moscow, 1981.
- Vygotsky L. S. Appendix. From the notes of L.S. Vygotsky for lectures on the psychology of preschool children // Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 2005, Vol. 43, № 2.
- Yamazumi K. A hybrid activity system as educational innovation // Journal of Educational Change. 2008, Vol. 9, № 4.
- Zaporozhets A. V. Towards the question of the genesis, function and structure of emotional processes in the child // Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 2002, Vol. 40, № 2.
- Zinchenko V. P. Psikhologiceskie osnovy pedagogiki [Psychological basis of pedagogics] Moscow, 2002.
- Zuckerman G. (2007). Child–adult interaction that creates a zone of proximal development // Journal of Russian and East European Psychology. 2007, Vol. 45(3).