Previous issue (2019. Vol. 15, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Paradigm of Intelligence as a factor of Political Control 1305
PhD in Psychology, Research officer & instructor at the National University of Science and Technology (Pakistan), Mansehra, Pakistan
PhD in Psychology, Assistant professor at the Hazara University, Manserha (Pakistan), Mansehra, Pakistan
Present study reviews the misuse of the paradigm of intelligence in past and present era by power holding classes and nations for the exploitation and political control over minorities and underdeveloped nations. Historically weak nations, minority groups and poor social classes have been exploited emotionally, physically, politically, culturally and as well as intellectually. Colonial powers propagated themselves intellectually superior and culturally developed, using the latest development in social sciences as a weapon to control the minds and the consciousness of the colonized people. Paradigm of Intelligence has logical basis but it was misused with false and subjective evidences, based on invalid and unreliable intelligence tests. Analysis indicates that psychological tests are still being used inappropriately. Many countries are just translating and using Western norms based tests for various academic and clinical purposes by ignoring their own cultural and national traditions. Socially suppressed individuals and minority people, grown up in restricted and conflicted culture, have a tendency to escape from un-essential tasks. They develop a specific hostility, which leads them to reject academic and intellectual achievements. Individual differences are a real phenomenon but intelligence tests are not able to measure complete mental faculties of human beings. It is necessary to be careful while administering the intelligence tests on the individuals from low SES strata.
Keywords: Paradigm of Intelligence, Exploitation, Underdeveloped Country, Colonial Countries, Social Classes, Will to Power, Psychological Testing.
Column: Theory and Methodology
- Adims D. The History of the Culture of War // www.culture-of-peace.
info / books / history.html. 2009.
- Anderson R. L. Nietzsche's Will to Power as a Doctrine of the Unity
of Science. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science. 1994. Vol. 25. №
- APA. Standards for educational and psychological testing. Washington DC:
American Educational Research Association. 1999. //www.apa.org/science/
- Baron R. A. Psychology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1998.
- Benson E. Intelligent Intelligence Testing. Monitor on Psychology.
2003. Vol. 34. № 2. www.apa.org/ monitor/ feb03/intelligent.aspx
- Bernard I. Bagg B. War and Revolution (Ed. & Trans.). Lenin
Collected Works: Vol. 24. Moscow. 1964.
- Blood P. Pakistan: A country study (ed.). Country data — based on
the country studies series by federal research division of the library of
congress. 1994. //www.country-data.com/cgi-bin/query/r
- Boeree C. G. Alfred Adler Personality Theories. 2006 //
- Boykin A. Allen B. Davis L. H. & Senior A. M. Task Performance
of Black and White Children across Levels of Presentation Variability. Journal
of Psychology. Vol. 131. 1997. // www.questia.com/google
- Burt C. Mental abilities and mental factors. British Journal of
Educational Psychology. 1954. Vol. № 14.
- Capron C., Adrian R., Vetta M. D., Atam V. Misconceptions of
biometrical IQists. Current Psychology of Cognition. 1999. Vol. 18. № 2.
- Charles C. Z. Massey D. S. Mooney M. & Kimberly C. T. Black
Immigrants and Black Natives Attending Selective Colleges and universities in
the United States. American Journal of Education. 2007. Vol. 113. № 2.
- Cherry K. The History and Development of Modern IQ Testing.
About.com Guide. 2005. // psychology.about.com/
- Devillier R. & Donegan B. The Roman Empire in the first century
AD. 2006 //www.pbs.org/ empires/romans/ empire/index.html
- Fanon F. Reciprocal Bases of National Culture and the Fight for
Freedom: Wretched of the Earth. Pelican. 1959. // www.
- Fanon F. Black Skin White Masks. New York: Grove. 1967. //www.
English. emory.edu/ Bahri/Fanon.html
- Garrett H. E. Klineberg's Chapter on Race and Psychology: A Review
Mankind Quarterly. 1960.Vol. 1. № 1.
- Gilmartin M. Gallaher C. et al. Key Concepts in Political Geography.
2008. Imperialism / Colonialism // www.the full wiki org.
- Gordon R. A. SES versus IQ in the race-IQ-delinquency model.
International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy.1987. Vol. 7.
- Gottfried A. W. (Ed). Home environment and early cognitive
development. San Francisco: Academic. 1984.
- Greenhut J. Sahib and Sepoy: An Inquiry into the Relationship
between the British officers and native soldiers of the British Indian army.
Military Affairs. 1984. Vol. 48 № 1 // www. jstor.org/
- Guthrie G. M. Tayag A. H. Jacobs P. J. The Philippine Nonverbal
Intelligence Test. The Journal of Social Psychology. 1977. Vol. 102. № 1.
- Hale J. B. Fiorello C. A. Kavanagh J. A. Holdnack J. A. & Aloe A.
M. Is the Demise of IQ Interpretation Justified? Applied Neuropsychology.
2007.Vol. 14. № 1.
- Hanfi H. When democracy masks exploitation. Reset Dialogues on
Civilizations: The web magazine for all the tribes of the world. 2008
- Hearnshaw L. S. Cyril Burt: Psychologist. New World Encyclopedia.
Ithaca N. Y.: Cornell University Press. 1979.
- Hjorland B. & Nicolaisen J. The social psychology of information
use: seeking «friends» avoiding «enemies» Information Research. 2010. Vol. 15.
№ 3 // informationr. net/ir/15-3/colis7/colis706.html
- Hobson J. A. Imperialism: a study. Cosimo Inc. 2005 //
- Jensen A. R. The black white difference on the K-ABC: Implications
for future tests. Journal of special education. 1984. Vol. 18. № 3.
- Johnson S. Dome Improvement. Wired Magazine. May 2005 //
- Joynson R. B. The Burt Affaires. Behavior Genetics. 1989. Vol. 19. №
- Kamin L. J. The Science and Politics of IQ. Hillsdale N. J.:
- Legg S. Hutter M. Universal Intelligence: A Definition of Machine
Intelligence. Minds and Machines. 2007. Vol. 17. № 4.
- Loehlin J. C. Lindzey G. Spuhler J. N. Race Differences in
Intelligence. San Francisco CA: W. H. Freeman, 1975.
- Lynn R. Dysgenics: Genetic Deterioration in Modern Populations.
Westport CT: Praeg. 1996.
- Machek G. Brief History of the Measurement of Intelligence. Human
Intelligence. 2006 // www.indiana. edu/~intell/intelligenceTests. shtml.
- Matrazzo J. D. Wechsler's Measurement and Appraisal of Adult
Intelligence. Baltimore Williams & Wilkins. 1980. Vol. 7.
- Marx M. & Hillix W. Systems and Theories in Psychology. New
York: McGraw-Hil. 1973.
- McGrath J. Ethics in Psychological Testing. 2009. // www. Associated
content.com/ article /1759034/
- Mellenbergh G. J. Item bias and item response theory. International
Journal of Educational Research. 1989. Vol. 13. № 2.
- Murray B. Psychology takes a tenuous hold in Pakistan. Monitor on
Psychology. Vol. 33. № 1 //www.apa. org/monitor/jan02/ pakistan.aspx
- Nakate S. Ancient Greek Culture. 2010 //www.buzzle. com/
- Neault R. & Pickerell D. Effective Use of Psychological Tests
for Recruitment and Selection. 2011 from // www.
- Neisser U. & et al. Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns. American
Psychologist. 1996. Vol. 51. № 2.
- Nesbitt N. F. African Intellectuals in the Belly of the Beast:
Migration Identity and the Politics of Exile. African Issues. 2002. Vol. 30. №
- Ogbu J. Overcoming racial barriers to equal access. In Goodlad J. I.
and Keating P. (Ed.). Access to knowledge: The continuing agenda for our
nation's schools. New York, 1994.
- Parenti M. Imperialism 101 Against Empire. 1995 //
- Pettigrew T. F. The Social Science Study of American Race Relations
in the Twentieth Century. Journal of Social and Personality Psychology Compass.
2008. Vol. 2.
- Petty M. F. & Field C. J. Fluctuations in Mental Test Scores.
Educational Research. 1980. Vol. 22. № 3.
- Plucker J. A. (Ed.). Human intelligence: Historical influences
current controversies teaching resources. 2007 // www.indiana.
- Plucker J. Learning and Cognition. General Intelligence Objectively
Determined and Measured. Indiana University. 1998.
- Popham W. J. Why Standardized Tests Don't Measure Educational
Quality. Journal of Education Leadership. 1999. Vol. 56. № 6 // www.ascd.
- Purcell J. H. Preparing for fall-out: A perspective on the bell
curve. Roper Review. 1996. Vol. 18. № 4.
- Richard H. S.& Andrea J. D. Insurgents terrorists and militias:
The Warriors of Contemporary Combat. 2006.
- Richmond R. L. A Guide to Psychology and its Practice. 2009 //
www.guide top psychology.com/testing.htm
- Rose H. A. Glossary of the tribes and castes of the Punjab and
North-West Frontier Province. Imperial Gazetteer of India. Vol. 19. 2009.
- Ross K. L. The Caste System and the Stages of Life in Hinduism. 2010
// www.friesian. com/ caste.htm
- Senders J. T. Marxist criticism of IQ. Canadian Journal of Education
/ Revue canadienne de l'education. 1985. Vol. 10. № 4 // www. jstor.org/pss/
- Skeels. H. M. Adult status of Children with contrasting early life
experiences: A Follow-Up Study. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child
Development. 1938 /1966. Vol. 31 № 3.
- Stanovich K. E. Rational and Irrational Thought: The Thinking that
IQ Tests Miss. Scientific American Mind. November / December 2009.
- Sternberg R. J. Intelligence, information processing,and analogical
reasoning: The componential analysis of human abilities. Hillsdale, N. J.:
- Sternberg R. J. (Ed). General Intellectual Ability. Human abilities:
An Information-Processing Approach. New York: Freeman, 1985.
- Stoddard A. L. Untouchables (Dalits) in Hinduism and Caste System in
India. 2010 http: //www. suite101. com/
- Suhail K. A. psychology in Pakistan. The Psychologist. 2004. Vol.
17. № Р. 11. http: //www.thepsychologist. org.uk/ archive/archive home.
- Tahir P. Development of a standardized screening test for the
prospective candidates of Pakistan Army (PAC- Test). PhD thesis Hamdard
University Karachi. 2002. //eprints.hec. gov. pk/view/year/2002.html
- Tucker W. H. The Science and Politics of Racial Research. Urbana IL:
University of Illinois Press, 1994.
- Underwager R. & Wakefield H. American Journal of Forensic Psychology.
1993. Vol. 11. № 1 //d eltabravo.net/ custody/misuse.php
- Wertheimer A. Exploitation. The Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.). 2008 //
- Wise J. Are Asians Smarter? Time Magazine. 1995. Vol. 146 № 11 //
www. time.com/time/ international/ 995/ 950911/essay.