Previous issue (2020. Vol. 16, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
The portrait of atheist in the eyes of contemporary students 1687
PhD, Ph.D. Student, Research Fellow, International Laboratory of Positive Psychology of Personality and Motivation, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Assistant at General Psychology Department,
Faculty of Psychology and Sociology, Russian State Medical University, Moscow, Russia
The paper describes the procedure and the results of a study of university students' conceptions of atheism and atheistic personality. The paper starts with a review of the principal sociological and psychological studies of atheism, presenting Russian and foreign research of personality characteristics of atheists and the place of atheism in the social life. The empirical section describes two stages of an empirical study aiming to investigate the conceptions that 1st and 2nd year university students have of personality characteristics and values of a strongly atheistic person. During the first, qualitative stage, 167 students gave open descriptions of an atheis¬tic person that were subsequently content-analyzed. At the second, correlational stage involving a sample of 216 students, associations between the respondents' notions of atheistic personality and their demographic characteristics and religious attitudes were investigated. The results provide an integral portrait of atheist seen by Russian students, which includes both negative and positive characteristics, which are associated with gen¬der and respondents' own religious attitudes.
Keywords: religion, atheism, nonreligious consciousness, everyday consciousness, attitudes, virtues.
- Bezrogov V. G. Pravo na veru: religioznoe vospitanie i problemy
tolerantnosti v mezhpokolennyh otnosheniyah. M.; Taganrog, 2003.
- Burovihina I., Leont'ev D. A., Osin E. N. Sily haraktera kak resursy
lichnosti podrostka: opyt primeneniya oprosnika «Profil' lichnyh dostoinstv» //
Psihologicheskaya diagnostika. 2007. № 1.
- Moskovichi S. Metodologicheskie i teoreticheskie problemy
psihologii // Psihologicheskii zhurnal. 1995. T. 16. № 2.
- Osin E. N. Smysloutrata kak perezhivanie otchuzhdeniya: struktura i
diagnostika: Diss. ... kand. psihol. nauk. M., 2007.
- Trofimova Z. P. Gumanizm. Religiya. Svobodomyslie. M., 1992.
- Shyure E. Velikie posvyashennye. M., 1990.
- Caplovitz D., Sherrow F. The Religious Drop-Outs: Apostasy Among
College Graduates. Beverly Hills, 1977.
- Dennett D. C., LaScola L. Preachers who are not believers //
Evolutionary Psychology. 2010. V. 8(1).
- Overall C. Feminism and Atheism // The Cambridge Companion to
Atheism / ed. M. Martin. Cambridge, 2007.
- Sternberg R. J. Implicit theories of intelligence, creativity, and
wisdom // Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1985. Vol. 49. №
- Sternberg R. J. The concept of «giftedness»: a pentagonal implicit
theory // The origins and development of high ability. Wiley, Chichester,
- Vitz P. C. The psychology of atheism // Antimatters. 2008. V. 2