The Subjective Development through Unfolding Learning Activities 1460
PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Sciences, Psychology, Communication, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
This article deals with the subjective development of college students participating in blended learning activities. We present a research project concerning the self-positioning changes and the thinking processes development related to the participation in such activities. The project is shaped by two studies performed within the Italian University context. The first study concerns the Self-positioning changes occurring within group discussions. Results from this study show that the such positioning change over the learning experience and that they are closely related to the participation in the blended activities and mediated by the use of new technology. Thus, new research questions arose from this study, concerning the role of activities and the possible development of thinking processes as well. The second study has an explorative aim and focuses on two case analyses investigating the students' thinking flow during the participation in problem solving activities. Results show that the thought has a multi-dimensional structure which changes from the beginning to the end of the course and that the nature of activities influences the performance of the students
Keywords: blended learning activities, Selfpositioning, thinking processes development, thinking structure
Column: Developmental Psychology
- Adams G., Markus H. R.Culture as patterns: An alternative approach
to the problem of reification. Culture and Psychology. Vol. 7. 2001.
- Bakhtin M. M. Problems o Dostoevsky's poetics. MI., 1984.
- Bakhtin M. M. The Dialogic Imagination. A., 1981.
- Black S. D., Levin J. A., Mehan H., Quinn C. N. Real and non-real
time interaction: Unraveling multiple threads of discourse. Discourse
Processes. Vol. 6. 1983.
- Bonk C. J., Graham C. R.Handbook of blended learning: Global
perspectives, local designs. S. F., 2005.
- Brown A. L., Campione J. C. Communities of learning or a content by
any other name. In D. Kuhn (Ed.) Contribution to human development (108—126).
N. Y., 1990.
- Henri F. Computer conferencing and content analysis. In A. R. Kaye
(Ed.). Collaborative learning through computer conferencing. L., 1992.
- Hermans H. J. M.The dialogical self: Toward a theory of personal and
cultural positioning. Culture & Psychology. Vol. 7. 2001.
- Hermans H. J. M.The person as a motivated storyteller: Valuation
theory and the Self-Confrontation Method. In R. A. Neimeyer, & G. J.
Neimeyer (Eds.) Advances in Personal Construct Psychology (p. 3—38). 2002.
- Hermans H. J. M. Voicing the self: From information processing
to dialogical interchange. Psychological Bulletin. Vol. 119. 1996.
- Hermans H. J. M., Hermans-Konopka A. Dialogical self theory.
Positioning and Counter-Positioning in a Globalizing Society. CA., 2010.
- Hermans H. J. M.The dialogical self: Between exchange and power. In
H. J. M.
- Hermans, & G. Dimaggio (Eds.). The dialogical self in
psychotherapy: An introduction (p. 13—28). N. Y., 2004.
- Holland D., Lachiocotte W., Skinner D., Cain C. Identity and agency
in cultural worlds. M A., 1998.
- Holquist M. Bakhtin and his world. N.Y., 1990.
- Hsieh H. -F., Shannon S. E. Three approaches to qualitative
content analysis. Learning Sciences. Vol. 6. 1997.
- Jefferson G. Transcript notation. In J. M. Atkinson, &J.
Heritage (Eds.) Structures of Social Action: Studies in Conversation Analysis
(p. 9—16). CA., 1984.
- Ligorio M. B.Identity as a product of knowledge building: The role
of mediated dialogue. Qwerty. Vol. 4. 2009. Maria Beatrice Ligorio, Fedela
- Ligorio M. B. The dialogical self and educational research: A
fruitful relationship. In H. Hermans & T. Gieser (Eds.) Handbook of the
Dialogical Self (p. 849—965). CA., 2011.
- Ligorio M. B., Fuiano L. Using e-learning: the students' point of
view. Jelks. Vol. 1. 2006.
- Minichiello V., Aroni R., Timewell E., Alexander L. InDepth
Interviewing: Researching People. H.K., 1990.
- Polman J. L. The Journal Of The Learning Sciences. Vol. 15.
- Schilling J. On the pragmatics of qualitative assessment: Designing
the process for content analysis. European Journal of Psychological Assessment.
Vol. 22. 2006.
- Valsiner J.Making Decisions About Taking Medicines: A Social
Coordination Process [79 paragraphs]. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung /
Forum: Qualitative Social Research [On-line Journal], 5 (1). 2004. Electronic
- Van Someren M. W., Barnard Y. F., Barnard J. A. C. The think aloud
method. A practical guide to modeling cognitive processes. L., 1994.
- Veresov N. Introducing cultural historical theory: main
concepts and principles of genetic research methodology. Cultural-Historical
Psychology. Vol. 4. 2010.
- Vygotsky L. S. Mind and Society N. Y., 1978.
- Vygotsky L. S. Sobranie sochinenii. MO. Vol. 3. 1983.
- Vygotsky L. S. Sobranie sochinenii. Vol. 5. MO., 1984.
- Wenger E.Communities of Practice. Learning, meaning and identity.
- Wortham S.From good student to an outcast: The emergence of a
classroom identity. Graduate School of Education GSE Publications. 2004.
Electronic document: http://repository.upenn.edu/gse pubs/49