Previous issue (2020. Vol. 28, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Cultural Problems Posed by a Study of Schizophrenic Process 827
British and American anthropologist, researcher in the spheres of socialization, linguistics, cybernetics, USA
The article represents the abstract of lecture of 1958 which contains the hypotheses by members of Project of schizophrenic communication study which included Gregory Bateson, Jay Haley, John Weakland, Don D. Jackson and William Fry. The approach of system stable condition and its’ mechanism is described and the concept of double bind is explained as a dilemma of self-preservation in situations of both from within and without. Applying this approach to a family with a schizophrenic patient G. Bateson pointes out the threats which come from his interpersonal relationships and its consequence for the patient and his relatives. Theoretical and methodological issues of this approach for other disciplines in social science are discussed.
- Bateson G. 1936. Naven, a Survey of Problems Suggested by a Composite
Picture of Culture of a New Guinea Tribe Drawn from Three Points of View.
Cambridge, Cambridge University
- Bateson G. 1942. Comment on Margaret Mead's "The Comparative Study of
Culture and the Purposive Cultivation of Democratic Values" // Science,
Philosophy and Religion; Second Symposium, NY. Reprinted as: Social Planning
and the Concept of Deutero-Learning // Steps to an Ecology of Mind, 1972.
- Bateson G. 1958. Epilogue 1958, In Naven, 2nd ed. Stanford, Stanford
- Bateson G., Mead M. 1942. Balinese Character: A Photographic Analysis. NY,
NY Academy of Sciences.
- Bavelas Alex. 1959. In "Group Processes". Transactions of the Fourth
Conference. NY: Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation.
- Benedict R. 1934. Patterns of Culture. Boston.
- Haley Jay D. 1959. The Family of the Schizophrenic: A Model System. Am. J.
Nerv. Ment. Dis. 129.
- Harlow H.F. 1949. The Formation of Learning Sets. Psychol. Rev. 56.
- Jackson Donald D. 1957. The Question of Family Homeostasis. Psychoanal.
- Redl Fritz. 1959. In "Group Process". Transactions of the Fourth
Conference. NY, Josiah Macy Foundation.
- Richardson L.F. 1939. Generalized Foreign Politics. British Journal of
- Romney Kim. 1956. Structural Analysis of Cross-cousin Marriage. Harvard
- Ruesch J., Bateson G. 1951. Communication: The Social Matrix of Psychiatry.
- Stanton A.H., Schwartz M.S. 1954. The Mental Hospital. NY, Basic
- Von Neumann J. and Morgenstern О. 1955. Theory of Games and Economic
Behavior. Rev. ed., Princeton.
- Waddington C.H. 1957. The Strategy of Genes. London.