Previous issue (2019. Vol. 27, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Counseling Psychology and Psychotherapy
2014. Vol. 22, no. 2, 140–152
2075-3470 / 2311-9446 (online)
The reasons of self-injurious behavior in youth (based on a self-report scale) 3093
Doctor of Psychology, Professor, Chair of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Moscow State University of Psychology & Education, Moscow, Russia
The article presents the results of the pilot study investigating the psychological mechanisms of self-injurious behavior. The research tool is the scale of reasons of self-injurious behavior developed by the author. It is hypothesized that self-injuries in youth constitute a reaction to acute internal ill-being and provide a regulatory function, that is, by the means of self-injuring one takes control over his/her psychological state and behavior or searches social support in relationships with significant others and draws attention to him/herself. In the structure of processes of psychological regulation self-injury can represent a means of controlling of the self and the behavior of the others. Research sample consists of 60 students, age 16—21. Connections between self-injuries and psychological reasons explaining them are investigated. The regulative structure of self-injurious behavior is revealed in four factors: influencing the others, reducing tension, modifying self (searching for new experience) and regaining control of emotions.
Keywords: self-injurious behavior, youth, identity, behavior control, self-regulation
Column: Empirical Researches
- Zeygarnik B.V., Holmogorova A.B., Mazur E.S. Samoregulyatsiya
povedeniya v norme i patologii. // Psihologicheskiy zhurnal. 1989. T. 10. # 2.
- Kernberg O. Tyazhelyie lichnostnyie rasstroystva: strategii
psihoterapii / Per. s angl. — M.: Nezavisimaya firma "Klass", 2000
- Polskaya N.A. Struktura i funktsii samopovrezhdayuschego povedeniya
// Psihologicheskiy zhurnal. 2014. T. 35. # 2. S. 45—56
- Polskaya N.A. Osobennosti samopovrezhdayuschego povedeniya v
podrostkovom i yunosheskom vozraste // Izvestiya Saratovskogo universiteta.
Seriya Filosofiya. Psihologiya. Pedagogika, vyipusk 1. 2010. Tom 10. S.
- Holmogorova A.B. Garanyan N.G. Evdokimova Ya.G. Moskova M.V.
Psihologicheskie faktoryi emotsionalnoy dezadaptatsii u studentov // Voprosyi
psihologii. 2009. # 3.
- Erikson E. Identichnost: yunost i krizis. Per. s angl. — M.: Flinta,
- Juhnke G.A. Suicide, self-injury, and violence in the schools:
Assessment, prevention, and intervention strategies. New York, 2011
- Stanley B., Cameroff M.J., Michalsen V., Mann J.J. Are suicide
attempters who self-mutilate a unique population // Am. Journ. Psychiatry.
2001. V. 158. 3. Р. 427—432
- Zuckerman M. Sensation seeking and risky behavior. Washington, DC:
American Psychological Association, 2007