Previous issue (2020. Vol. 9, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Neuropsychological Assessment: an overview of modern tendencies (dedicated to 110-th anniversary of A.R. Luria) 9567
Doctor of Psychology, leading research assistant of the laboratory of neuropsychology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Moscow State University named after M.V.Lomonosov, Moscow, Russia
Current contribution considers different approaches to neuropsychological testing in western (primarily North-American) tradition. The article compares Lurian qualitative approach to the assessment of cognitive disorders in patients and popular western approaches such as Psychometric approach, Localizational approach, Cognitive approaches, Flexible approach to tests selection, and Boston process approach. Special attention is paid to Ecological approach, in particular, a ranked list of most popular ecological tests is provided. The article presents results of surveys among clinical psychologists from the USA and Canada concerning their most preferred neuropsychological tests, a list of five most popular tests for each cognitive domain is provided. Since surveys of popularity of psychological tests among psychologists in the USA and Canada are done regularly between 1980 and 2012, analysis of this data allows to see the dynamics of tests selection within the last 30 years.
Keywords: neuropsychological assessment, qualitative and quantitative approaches to the assessment, western neuropsychological tests, ecologically oriented tests
Column: Theoretical research
Neuropsychological Rehabilitation: Theory, Models, Therapy and
Outcome. Cambridge University Press (1st Edition), 2009.
- Butler M., Retzlaff P., Vanderploeg R. Neuropsychological test
usage. – Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 1991, Vol. 22, No. 6.
– P. 510-512.
- Golden C.J. Manual for the Luria-Nebraska neuropsychological
battery. Children Revision. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services,
- Golden C.J., Hammeke T.A., Purish A.D. Manual for the Luria-Nebraska
neuropsychological battery. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services,
- Kaplan E. A process approach to neuropsychological assessment. In T.
Boll & B. K. Bryant (Eds.), Clinical neuropsychology and brain function:
Research, measurement and practice. The master lecture series, Vol. 7.
Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 1988. Р. 125-167.
- Kaufman A.S. & Kaufman N. Kaufman Assessment Battery for
Children: Interpretive Manual. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service,
- Korkman M., Kirk U., & Kemp S. NEPSY. A developmental
neuropsychological assessment. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation,
- Milberg W. P., Hebben N., Kaplan E. The Boston process approach to
neuropsychological assessment. // I. Grant, K. M. Adams (Eds):
Neuropsychological assessment of neuropsychiatric disorders. NY: Oxford
University Press, 1986. P. 65-86.
- Rabin, L., Barr, W.B., Spadaccini, A.T., Charcape, M.M., &
Barr, W.B., (2012, February). Assessment practices of clinical
neuropsychologists in the U.S. and Canada: A 10-year follow-up survey. To be
presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Neuropsychological
Society, Montreal, Canada.
- Rabin L.A., Barr W.B., Burton L.A. Assessment practices of clinical
neuropsychologists in the United States and Canada: A survey of INS, NAN, and
APA Division 40 members. – Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2005. –
- Rabin L.A., Burton L.A., Barr W.B. Utilization rates of ecologically
oriented instruments among clinical neuropsychologists – The Clinical
Neuropsychologist, 2007. – Vol.21.
- Robertson I.H., Ward T., Ridgeway A., Nimmo-Smith I. Test of
Everyday Attention, The (TEA). Pearson. 1994.
- Shiel A., Wilson B.A., McLellan L., Horn S., Watson M. Wessex Head
Injury Matrix, The (WHIM). Pearson. 2000.
- Tremont G., Westervelt H.J., Javorsky D.J., Podolanczuk A., Stern
R.A. Referring physicians’ perceptions of the neuropsychological
evaluation: how are we doing? – The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 2002, Vol. 16,
- Wayne J.C., Nathan J.S., Puente A.E. Psychological test usage:
implications in professional psychology. – Professional Psychology: Research
and Practice, 2000. – Vol. 31 (2).
- Wilson B.A., Greenfield E., Clare L., Baddely A. et al.
Rivermead Behavioral Memory Test –Third Edition. L.: Pearson. 2008.
- Wilson B.A., Alderman N., Burgess P.W., Emslie H. and Evans J.J.
Behavioural Assessment of the Dysexecutive Syndrome (BADS). Pearson. 1996.