Previous issue (2019. Vol. 8, no. 3)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Child-Parent Interactions in Families Raising Children with Hearing Impairment 2545
PhD in Psychology, Associate professor, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
Article reveals communication (information exchange) between parents and their deaf children. The effectiveness of information exchange in different communication means between parents and children having hearing loss was investigated. Effectiveness here is an opportunity of fast understanding of the information given by one participant to another. Special experimental situation was constructed to measure the effectiveness. This situation was divided in two parts: at first parent was giving instructions to the child, then – child was giving instructions to the parent. The time that was needed to follow the instructions was measured, and communication means were registered. 17 deaf children and their mothers participated in the study. 5 of those mothers also have hearing impairment and do know sign language. Control group was represented by 10 regular developing children and their parents. Experimental results allows us to make the conclusion that there are significant difficulties in information exchange between parent and child in families raising deaf children. These difficulties are more shown in situations when children have to understand parents’ instructions and are the result of not very efficient communication means that parents use in several cases. The most efficient communication means that allow receiving information faster, accurately and fully is Russian sign language. That is shown by the best results of information exchange in pairs of mother and child both having hearing loss.
Keywords: deaf children, child-parent interaction, communication, Russian sign language, special means of communication
Column: Empirical research
- Abramova G.S. Vozrastnaya psihologiya: Uchebnik dlya studentov
vuzov. M.: Akademicheskii Proekt, 2001.
- Basilova T.A., Moiseeva I.V., Saprina E.A., Hohlova A.Yu.
Osobennosti gluhih uchaschihsya sovremennoi special'noi shkoly i faktory,
vliyayuschie na sohrannost' ih psihicheskogo zdorov'ya. Psihologicheskaya nauka
i obrazovanie, 2010, №2
- Bogdanova T.G., Mazurova N.V. Vliyanie vnutrisemeinyh otnoshenii na
razvitie lichnosti gluhih mladshih shkol'nikov // Defektologiya. 1998. №3. s.
- Zaiceva G.L. Jestovaya rech'. Daktilologiya. M.: Vlados, 2000.
- Kulagina I.Yu. Vozrastnaya psihologiya: Polnyi jiznennyi cikl
razvitiya cheloveka. Uchebnoe posobie dlya studentov vysshih uchebnyh
zavedenii/ I.Yu. Kulagina, V.N. Kolyuckii. M.:TC Sfera, 2004. 464s.
- Lisina M.I. Obschenie i ego vliyanie na razvitie psihiki
doshkol'nika. M., 1974 g.
- Lisina M.I. Formirovanie lichnosti rebenka v obschenii / Lisina M. I
Psihologo-pedagogicheskie problemy stanovleniya lichnosti i individual'nosti v
detskom vozraste: Sb. nauchn. tr. / Pod red. V.V. Davydova, I.V.Dubrovinoi. M.,
- Obychnye sem'i, osobye deti: [per. s angl.] / Seligman M., Darling R. M.:
Terevinf, 2007. 368 s.
- Palagina N.N. Rebenok v rannem i doshkol'nom detstve/ N. N.Palagina,
L. V. Ahromeeva. Frunze, 1982.
- Petshak V. Issledovanie emocional'nyh otnoshenii gluhih shkol'nikov
k chlenam sem'i. // Defektologiya. - 1991.- № 1. – s. 18-24.
- Psihologiya detei doshkol'nogo vozrasta/ pod red. A.V Zaporojca., D.B.
- Psihologiya / Pod red. A.A. Krylova. M.: Prospekt, 1999. 584s. s.245
- Razvitie obscheniya u doshkol'nikov/ pod red. A.V. Zaporojca, M.I. Lisinoi.
- Special'naya psihologiya / Pod red. V.I. Lubovskogo. M. Akademiya 2003
- Hohlova A.Yu. Izuchenie osobennostei detsko-roditel'skogo
vzaimodeistviya v sem'yah gluhih i slyshaschih roditelei, vospityvayuschih
gluhih detei. Defektologiya. 2007. № 3. s. 40-48.
- Hohlova A.Yu. Effektivnost' detsko-roditel'skogo obscheniya i
intellektual'noe razvitie gluhih detei. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psihologiya.
2008. №3. s. 86-91.
- Desselle D.D. Self-esteem, family climate, and communication
patterns in relation to deafness // Volume 139 – 1994 № 3
- Marshark M. Psychological Development of Deaf Children. New York,
Oxford University Press, 1993.
- Meadow K. Early Manual Communication in Relation to the Deaf Child’s
Intellectual, Social and Communicative Functioning // The Journal of Deaf
Studies and Deaf Education. 2005. Vol. 10. № 4.
- Peterson C. Development of social-cognitive and communication skills
in children born deaf // Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 2009. 50. 475 –
- Peterson C., Wellman H., Liu D. Steps in Theory-of-Mind Development
for Children With Deafness or Autism // Child Development. 2005. Vol. 76. №
- Schlesinger H. & Meadow K.P. Sound and Sign. Childhood deafness
& Mental Health. University of California Press, Berkeley, 1972.
- Stevenson J., McCann D., Watkin P., Worsfold S., Kennedy C. The
relationship between language development and behavior problems in children
with hearing loss // Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 51:1 (2010), pp
- Sullivan R., Schutle L. Factor Analysis of WISC-R with Deaf and
Hard-of-Hearing Children // Psychological Assessment. 1992. Vol. 4. № 4