Previous issue (2019. Vol. 8, no. 3)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Efficient Coping Behavior in Sport: What Disturbs Our Equanimity and How to Gain It Back 1235
, PhD in Psychology, Researcher, Laboratory of Sport Psychology, Moscow Institute of Psychoanalysis, Moscow, Russia, email@example.comBochaver K.A.
, PhD in Psychology, Head of Laboratory of Sport Psychology, Moscow Institute of Psychoanalysis, Moscow, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Every athlete has to achieve permanent victories on the «domestic front» of coping with difficulties and self-overcoming if he or she wants to win the sport competitions regularly. Extreme muscle loading, excitement, anxiety, and stress become a habitual routine for many athletes. It is an important applied goal of sport psychology to transfer their skills to other people who need them, for example to workers who perform under pressure or different people who set goals and have to achieve them. Current paper is devoted to research what ways and resources are selected by professional athletes of different sports and ages to cope successfully with stress and negative emotions. We consider what is the difference between coping with stress and maintaining the equanimity. It describes the variety of methods and strategies that can improve the efficiency of the athlete’s performance make him or her more resistant and «tough». Also the problem of experience is solved: how athletes learn to cope with difficulties, how they choose the best way to behave, which resources reinforce them.
Keywords: anxiety, chocking, competitions, coping behavior, coping with adversity, high performance, injury, mental preparation, methodology, performance under pressure, physical activity, psychology of sport and exercise, sport, sport psychology, stress
Column: Theoretical research
- Bochaver, K.A., Dovzhik, L.M., Ter-Minasjan A.A. K voprosu o koncentracii
vnimanija v sportivnom skalolazanii [The Issue of Attention Concentration in
Sport Climbing]. Sportivnyj psiholog [Sport Psychologist], 2015, vol.
36, no. 1, pp. 55–61.
- Bochaver, K.A., Dovzhik, L.M. Preodolenie professional'nymi sportsmenami
stressa, svjazannogo s travmoj [Overcoming Professional Athletes Stress
Associated with Trauma] / A.L. Zhuravlev, E.A. Sergienko (eds.). Chelovek,
sub''ekt, lichnost' v sovremennoj psihologii materialy Mezhdunarodnoj nauchnoj
konferencii, posvjashhennoj 80‐letiju A.V. Brushlinskogo. – Moscow: Publ.
Institut psihologii RAN, 2013, pp. 554–557.
- Bochaver, K.A., Dovzhik, L.M. Sovladajushhee povedenie v professional'nom
sporte: fenomenologija i diagnostika [Coping Behavior in Professional Sport:
Phenomenology and Diagnostics] Klinicheskaja i special'naja psihologija
[Clinical Psychology and Special Education], 2016, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–18.
doi:10.17759 (Accessed 26.05.2016).
- Zhuravlev, A.L., Krjukova, T.L., Sergienko, E.A. Sovladajushhee povedenie:
Sovremennoe sostojanie i perspektivy [Coping behavior: a Modern Condition and
Perspective]. Moscow: Publ. Institut psihologii RAN, 2008, 57 p.
- Metodika psihologicheskoj diagnostiki sposobov sovladanija so stressovymi i
problemnymi dlja lichnosti situacijami: posobie dlja vrachej i med.psihologov
[Methods of Psychological Diagnostics of Coping with Stressful and Problematic
for the Individual Situations: A Handbook for Physicians and Medical
Psychologists] / L.I. Vasserman, B.V. Iovlev, E.R. Isaeva, E.A. Trifonova,
M.Ju. Novozhilova, A.Ja.Vuks. St. Petersburg: Publ. NIPNI im. V.M.Bekhtereva,
2009, 38 p.
- Nartova-Bochaver, S.K. “Coping behavior” v sisteme ponjatij psihologii
lichnosti [“Coping Behavior” in the System of Concepts of Psychology of
Personality] Psihologicheskij Zhurnal [Psychological Journal], 1997,
vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 20–30.
- Stress i trevoga v sporte: Mezhdunarodnyj sbornik nauchnyh statej [Stress
and Anxiety in Sport: International Collection of Scientific Articles] / Ju.L.
Hanin [ed.]. Moscow: Fizkul'tura i sport, 1983, 288 p.
- Ampofo-Boateng, K., et al. Mental and Coping Strategies Used by Malaysian
Elite Mountain Climbers to Climb Mount Everest. Research Reports. Institute of
Research, Development and Commercialization, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Shah
Alam, 2009, 120 p.
- Beilock, S.L., Gray, R. Why Do Athletes Choke Under Pressure?/ G.
R.C. Eklund (eds.). Handbook of Sport Psychology, 3rd ed, NJ: John
Wiley&Sons, Inc, 2007, pp. 425–444.
- Causer, J., Holmes, P.S. Smith, N.C., Williams, A.M. Anxiety, Movement
Kinematics, and Visual Attention in Elite-Level Performers. Emotion,
2011, vol. 11, no 3,
- Crocker, P., Graham, R. Coping by Competitive Athletes with Performance
Stress: Gender Differences and Relationships with Affect. Sport Psychologist.
1995, vol. 9, p. 338.
- Dale, G.A., et al. Distractions and Coping Strategies of Elite Decathletes
During Their Most Memorable Performances. Sport psychologist, 2000, vol.
14, no. 1, pp. 17–41.
- Giacobbi, Jr.P.R., et al. An Examination of Coping in Sport: Individual
Trait Anxiety Differences and Situational Consistency. Sport
Psychologist, 2000, vol. 14. no. 1,
- Gaudreau, P., Blondin, J.P. Different Athletes Cope Differently during a
Sport Competition: a Cluster Analysis of Coping. Personality and Individual
Differences, 2004, vol. 36, no 8, pp. 1865–1877.
- Gordon, S. Expected and Unexpected Stressors in Major International
Competition: Appraisal, Coping, and Performance. Sport psychologist,
2002, vol. 16, pp. 20–33.
- Gould, D., et al. Coping with Season-Ending Injuries. Sport
vol. 11, no 4, pp. 379–399.
- Gustafsson, H. Burnout in Competitive and Elite Athletes. Unpublished
Doctoral Dissertation, Örebro: Örebro universitetsbibliotek, 2007. 134 p.
- Jackson, S.A., et al. Life after winning gold: II. Coping with Change as an
Olympic Gold Medallist. Sport Psychologist, 1998, vol. 12, no. 2, pp.
- Jones, M.V., Mace, R.D., Bray, S.R., MacRae, A.W., Stockbridge, C. The
Impact of Motivational Imagery on the Emotional State and Self-Efficacy Levels
of Novice Climbers. Journal of Sport Behavior, 2002, vol. 25, pp.
- Hagger, M.S., et al. Injury Representations, Coping, Emotions, and
Functional Outcomes in Athletes with Sports‐Related Injuries: A Test of
Self‐Regulation Theory 1. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 2005,
vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2345–2374.
- Hanin, Y.L. From Anxiety to Performance‐Related Emotions in Top‐level
Sport. An Invited Keynote. Annual STAR‐30 Conference Proceedings.
Budapest, Hungary. (In press).
- Hanton, S., Fletcher, D., Coughlan G. Stress in Elite Sport Performers: a
Comparative Study of Competitive and Organizational Stressors. Journal of
Sports Sciences, 2005., vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1129–1141.
- Hardy, L., Beattie, S., Woodman, T. Anxiety‐Induced Performance
Catastrophes: Investigating Effort Required as an Asymmetry Factor. British
Journal of Psychology, 2007, vol. 98, pp. 15–31.
- Hardy, L. A Catastrophe Model of Performance in Sport / J.G. Jones, Hardy
L. (Eds.) Stress and Performance in Sport. Chichester: John Wiley, 1990,
- Holt, N.L. Coping in Professional Sport: a Case Study of an Experienced
Cricket Player. Athletic Insight, 2003, vol. 5, no 1. 11 p.
- Kallus, K.W., Kellmann, M. Burnout in Athletes and Coaches / Y.L. Hanin
(Ed.) Emotions in sport. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2000, pp.
- Kristiansen, E. Perception of and Coping with Organizational and Media
Stress in Elite Sport: Does The Coach Matter? PhD thesis. Oslo, Norway:
Norwegian School of Sports Science, 2011. URL:
- Manuel, J.C., et al. Coping with Sports Injuries: an Examination of the
Adolescent Athlete. Journal of Adolescent Health, 2002, vol. 31, no. 5,
- McGrath, D., Ellison, J. Vertical Mind: Psychological Approaches for
Optimal Rock Climbing. Boulder: Sharp End Publishing, 2014. 274 p.
- Morris, T., Spittle, M., Watt, A.P. Technical Aids to Imagery/ T. Morris,
A.P. Watt (Eds.). Imagery in Sport. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics,
- Murphy, S.M., Nordin, S.M., Cumming J. Imagery in Sport, Exercise and Dance
T. Horn (Ed.). Advances in Sport Psychology, 3rd ed. Champaign, IL:
Human Kinetics, 2008, pp. 297–324.
- Nicholls, A.R., et al. A Phenomenological Analysis of Coping Effectiveness
in Golf. The Sport Psychologist, 2005, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 111–130.
- Nicholls, A.R., Polman R.C. Coping in Sport: a Systematic Review.
Journal of Sports Sciences, 2007, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 11–31.
- Nicholls, A.R., Holt, N.L., Polman, R.C., et al. Stressors, Coping, and
Coping Effectiveness Among Professional Rugby Union Players. The Sport
Psychologist, 2006, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 314–329.
- Nieuwenhuys, A., Hanin, Y.L., Bakker, F.C. Performance-Related Experiences
and Coping During Races: a Case of an Elite Sailor. Psychology of Sport and
Exercise, 2008, vol. 99, pp. 61–76.
- Nieuwenhuys, A., Pijpers, J.R, Oudejans, R.R., Bakker, F.C. The Influence
of Anxiety on Visual Attention in Climbing. Journal of Sport and Exercise
Psychology, 2008, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 171–185.
- Nieuwenhuys, A., Vos, L., Pijpstra, S., Bakker, F.C. Meta Experiences and
Coping Effectiveness in Sport. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 2010,
vol. 112, pp. 135–143.
- Oudejans, R.R., Pijpers, J.R. Training with Mild Anxiety May Prevent
Choking Under Higher Levels of Anxiety. Psychology of Sport and
Exercise, 2010, vol. 11, pp. 44–50.. doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.
2009.05.002. (Accessed 12.04.2016).
- O'Neil, J.W., Steyn, B.J. Strategies Used by South African Non-Elite
Athletes to Cope with the Environmental Stressors Associated with Endurance
Events. South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education and
Recreation, 2007, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 99–107.
- Park, J.K. Coping Strategies Used by Korean National Athletes. Sport
Psychologist, 2000, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 63–80.
- Pijpers, J.R., Bakker, F.C., Oudejans, R.R., Boschker, M.S. Anxiety and
Fluency of Movements in Climbing. Amsterdam: Institute for Fundamental and
Clinical Human Movement Sciences, Vrije Universiteit, 2001, pp. 133–135.
- Pijpers, J.R, Oudejans, R.R., Holsheimer, F., Bakker, F.C. Anxiety
Performance Relationships in Climbing: a Process-Oriented Approach.
Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 2003, no. 4, pp. 283–304. doi:
10.1016/S1469-0292(02) (Accessed 06.04.2016).
- Smith, R.E., Schultz, J.T., Smoll, F., Placek, J.T. Development and
Validation of a Multidimensional Measure of Sport-Specific Psychological Skill:
The Athletic Coping Skill Inventory-28. Journal of Sport and Exercise
Psychology, 1995, vol. 17,
- Tamminen, K.A., Holt, N.L. Adolescent Athletes’ Learning about Coping and
the Roles of Parents and Coaches. Psychology of Sport and Exercise,
2012, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 69–79.
- Thatcher, J., Jones, M., Lavallee, D. Coping and Emotion in Sport. Oxford:
Routledge, 2011. 248 p.
- Woodman, T., Hardy, L. A Case Study of Organizational Stress in Elite
Sport. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 2001, vol. 13, no. 2, pp.