Previous issue (2019. Vol. 24, no. 6)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Experimental Study of Age-Identification in People with Suicidal Attempts 1023
Doctor of Psychology, Professor, Chair of the Special Psychology, Department of Clinical
and Special Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The article presents the results of experimental study of disorders in age identification among people of different age groups who attempted a suicide. The original author’s method “Age-and-gender identification for adults” was used in the study. The features of age self-identification, the possibility of constructing age-and-gender images over the person’s life course and selection of preferred and negative age-related images were studied. Qualitative and quantitative analysis was performed on the data reflecting
the peculiarities of the age identification in people attempted a suicide and in healthy and successful adults. The obtained results showed that the age identification in people with suicidal attempts has several features fundamentally different from those in the successful adults of all ages. We demonstrate that age-and-gender role representations of own life course are significantly distorted in people who attempted a suicide.
Keywords: identity, age and age-and-gender identification, people with suicidal attempts, life crisis, life course, preferred and negative images
Column: Psychology of Crisis Situations
- Belopol'skaya N. L. Polovozrastnaya identifikaciya. Metodika issledovaniya detskogo samosoznaniya. M., 2009.
- Belopol'skaya N. L., Ivanova S. R., Svistunova E. V., Shafirova E. M. Samosoznanie problemnyh podrostkov. M., 2007.
- Belopol'skaya N. L. Kognitivnye i affektivnye determinanty resheniya zadach na vozrastnuyu identifikaciyu // V kn. «Poznanie i obshenie». M., 2009.
- Vygotsky L. S. Sobr. soch.: V 6 t. T. 2. M., 1982.
- Berns R. Razvitie Ya-koncepcii i vospitanie. M., 1986.
- Golovaha E. I., Kronik A. A. Psihologicheskoe vremya lichnosti. M., 2008.
- Zinchenko V. P., Morgunov E. B. Chelovek razvivayushiisya. M., 1994.
- Kon I. S. Otkrytie «Ya». M., 1978.
- Remshmidt H. Podrostkovyi i yunosheskii vozrast. Problemy stanovleniya lichnosti. M., 1994.
- Starshenbaum G. V. Suicidologiya i krizisnaya sihoterapiya. M., 2005.
- Chesnokova I. I. Problema samosoznaniya v psihologii. M., 1977.
- Erikson E. H. Identity and the Life Cycle. New York IUP, 1959.
- Erikson E. H. Identity, Youth and Crisis. New York Norton, 1968.
- Montpare J. M. & Lachman M. E. «You are only as old as you feel: Self» Perception of age. Psychology & Aging, 1989.
- Rubin D. C., Berntsen D. People over forty feel 20 % younger than their age: Subjective age across the lifespan. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 3(5), 2006. [Free full-text]