Previous issue (2020. Vol. 25, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Psychological Characteristics of Adolescents Prone to Xenophobia 1351
Doctor of Psychology, Head of Laboratory of Psychology of Childhood and Adolescence, FSBI "V. Serbsky Federal Medical Research Centre for Psychiatry and Narcology" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Moscow, Russia
PhD Student at the Department of Juridicial Psychology, Moscow State University
of Psychology and Education; Specialist, Laboratory of the Forensic and Psychological
Expertise, Russian Federal Center of the Forensic Expertise, Moscow, Russia
The article presents the results of the study aimed at determining xenophobic dispositions and their intensity level in adolescents as well as their relation with the level of development of moral reasoning and individual psychological characteristics of the adolescents. It was hypothesized that the intensity and nature of these phenomena have gender specificity and differ among adolescents with conventional normative and deviant behavior. The obtained results confirm these hypotheses and suggest that the manifestations of
xenophobia among adolescents have correlates in the development of moral consciousness and in the individual psychological sphere, have significant gender specifics. Adolescents with deviant behavior have a greater risk for xenophobic dispositions development than their socially adapted peers. Based on these results it is concluded that in order to prevent xenophobia
among adolescents special attention should be paid to the overall personality development of the child, to the development of his/her moral consciousness,
to the increasing level of empathy and reducing the aggression.
Keywords: xenophobic dispositions, adolescence, deviant behavior, development of moral reasoning, individual psychological characteristics,
Column: Delinquent Children
- Asmolov A. G., Soldatova G. U., Shaigerova L. A. O smyslah ponyatiya «tolerantnost'» // Vek tolerantnosti: Nauchno-publicisticheskii vestnik.
- Bratus' B. S. Anomalii lichnosti. M., 1988.
- Enikolopov S. N., Meshkova N. V. Psihologicheskie aspekty «prestuplenii nenavisti» // Kriminologiya: vchera, segodnya, zavtra. Trudy Sankt-Peterburgskogo kriminologicheskogo kluba. 2008. № 2 (15).
- Izard K. Emocii cheloveka. M., 1980.
- Kroz M. V., Ratinova N. A. Social'no-psihologicheskie i pravovye aspekty ksenofobii. M., 2005.
- Meshkova N. V. Situativnye i lichnostnye osobennosti mezhgruppovoi predubezhdennosti: Avtoref. diss. ... kand. psihol. nauk. M., 2009.
- Oshevskii D. S. Psihicheskoe razvitie u podrostkov s psihicheskimi rasstroistvami, sovershivshih agressivno-nasil'stvennye pravonarusheniya: psihologicheskii aspekt. Avtoref. diss. ...kand. psihol. nauk. M., 2006.
- Soldatova G. U., Makarchuk A. V. Mozhet li «drugoi» stat' drugom? Trening po profilaktike ksenofobii. M., 2006.
- Yurasova E. N. Psihologicheskie osobennosti lic, sklonnyh k ekstremizmu, terrorizmu i ksenofobii // Yuridicheskaya psihologiya. 2008. № 4.
- Aboud F. E. Children and prejudice. Oxford, 1988.
- Craig K. M. Examining hate-motivated aggression. A review of the social psychological literature on hate crimes as a distinct form of aggression // Aggresion and Violent Behavior. 2002. № 7.
- Fishbein H. D. Peer Prejudices and Discrimination: The Origins of Prejudice (second Edition). N.J., 2002.
- Nesdale D. Social identity and ethnic prejudice in children [Free full-text]