School Readiness in the Context of the Problem of Preschool and Primary School Education Continuity 4833
PhD in Psychology, Senior Researcher (academic rank), the Author was a Member of L.I. Bozhovich’s Laboratory, Psychological Institute of the Russian Academy of Education, Moscow, Russia
The article is devoted to the problem of preschool and primary school education continuity. It has been noted that the contemporary preschool education system considers this age mainly as a stage in preparing children for school education, which results in misinterpretation of the “child’s school readiness” phenomenon. The fact that the preschool age has independent value in ontogenesis of a child and a person in whole is totally overlooked. Defending the idea of the preschool period inherent worth, the author shows importance of psychological school readiness (in case of competent interpretation of the phenomenon) in the context of preschool and primary school education continuity. Analyzing approaches to continuity problem, the author shows differences
between behavioral and cultural-historical theories of child’s psychical development as regards to this issue: under the first approach, continuity in two forms of education is considered from a position of their convergence, or, more precisely, building preschool education following the example of school education. Under the second approach, continuity is realized not on the basis of convergence of two forms of education, as it happens now in many countries worldwide (also including Russia), but based on their maximal distinction that results from the child’s development specificity at each of the ages under consideration.
Keywords: psychological school readiness, continuity, preschool education, primary school education, preschool age, primary school age
Column: A Child Entering School
- Bozhovich L. I. Personality and its formation in childhood. Moscow, 1968.
- Bozhovich L. I. The problem of the child’s motivational sphere development // Research of motivation of children’s and adolescents’ behavior. Moscow, 1972.
- Vygotsly L. S. Crisis of a 7-year-old child. Collected works in 6 volumes. V. 4. Moscow, 1984.
- Vygotsly L. S. The problem of age. Collected works in 6 volumes. V. 4. Moscow, 1984.
- Gootkina N. I. Psychological school readiness. St. Petersburg, 2004.
- Davydov V. V., Kudriavtsev V. T. Development education: theoretical grounds for continuity of preschool and primary school stages // Problems of Psychology. 1997, № 1.
- Zaporozhets A. V. Changes in motor function of a preschooler, subject to conditions and motives of his activity // Proceedings of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. Moscow, 1948. Issue 14.
- Zaporozhets A.V. Some psychological problems of child’s game // Preschool education. 1965. № 10.
- Zaporozhets A. V. Selected psychological works: In 2 volumes. Moscow, 1986.
- Istomina Z. M. Arbitrary memory development at preschool age // Proceedings of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. Issue 14. Moscow, 1948.
- Kislitskaya L. A. Personality development of first graders who are psychologically ready and not ready to schooling. Ph.D. Thesis. Moscow, 2007.
- Kudriavtsev V. T., Zaporozhets A. V. From idea of the childhood inherent worth – towards principles of self-determination and amplification of the child’s development // Sciences about childhood and modern education. Moscow, 2005.
- Leont’ev A. N. Towards theory of the child’s psyche development // Problems of psychogeny. М., 1972.
- Lisina M. I. Problems of communication ontogenesis. Moscow, 1986.
- Manuilenko Z. V. Development of arbitrary behavior of preschoolers // Proceedings of the academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. Issue 14. Moscow, 1948.
- Nazarenko V. V. Evidence of social motives of learning with contemporary senior preschoolers and first-graders // Young scientists for the Moscow education. Materials of the VI-th theoretical and practical conference. Moscow, 2007.
- Nazarenko V. V. Research of schoolchild’s internal position with contemporary first-graders // Young scientists for the Moscow education. Materials of the VIth theoretical and practical conference. Moscow, 2005.
- Ozhegov S. I. Dictionary of the Russian language. Moscow, 1986.
- Usova A. P. Education at the kindergarten // Proceedings of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. Issue 118. Moscow, 1961.
- Elkonin D. B. Psychology of game. Moscow, 1978.
- Hunt J. McV., Kirk G. E. Criterion-referenced tests of school readiness: a paradigm with illustrations – Genetic Psychology Monographs, 1974, 90.