Previous issue (2019. Vol. 24, no. 6)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Current Problems of Preschool Education 5392
Doctor of Psychology, President, Moscow State University of Psychology & Education, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Psychology, Leading researcher, the head of Psychological issues of teachers’ training laboratory of the Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The paper deals with early childhood care and education (ECCE) issues to be discussed at the UNESCO World Conference on 27–29 September 2010. The authors recognize and analyze key trends in the development of preschool education in different countries and offer a well-substantiated approach to the related issues.
The paper studies two opposite models of education in early childhood and shows major implications of each of the existing approaches. A special emphasis is laid on the development of a unified comprehensive system of preschool and primary school education. The authors firmly believe that the
“junction point” between those two education stages is a critical and, in many respects, a testing element for the entire national system of early childhood education in different countries.
A general analysis of current preschool education programs is provided and their impact on the age-specific development of children is discussed. The authors emphasize the significance and a special role of child-centered interaction between adults and children as well as play as a part of the
development-oriented preschool education. The training of teachers for early childhood education is also discussed.
Keywords: preschool education, two models of early childhood care and education, continuity of preschool and school education, “frame” and “prescriptive” programs, development-oriented program of early childhood care and education, play, training of preschool teachers
Column: Preschool Education Today: New Challenges, New Approaches
- Vygotsky, L. S. The Collected Works in 6 volumes / Ed. A. V.
Zaporozhets. Moscow, 1984.
- Vygotsky, L. S. Educational Psychology / Ed. V. V. Davydov.
- Davydov, V. V. Last Presentations. Moscow, 1998.
- Zaporozhets, A. V. Some Psychological Problems of Children Play //
Doshkol’noye vospitaniye. 1965. № 10.
- Zaporozhets, А. V. Selected Works in Psychology: In 2 volumes.
- The Concept of Continuous Education Content (Preschool and Primary School
Levels) // Education Curriculum in a 12-year School. Moscow, 2000.
- Cole, M. (Ed.). Socio-historical Approach in the Educational
Psychology. Moscow, 1989.
- Lisina, M. I. Communication, Personality and Mentality of a Child.
- Manuilenko, Z. V. Development of Voluntary Behavior in Preschool
Children // Proceedings of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the Russian
Federation, vol. 14, 1948.
- Strong Foundation. Early Childhood Education and Care // Global Monitoring
Report on ECCE. Moscow, UNESCO, 2007.
- Rubtsov V. V. Fundamentals of the Sociogenetic Psychology.
- Smirnova, Ye. O., Gudareva, O.V. Play and Voluntary Behavior in
present day preschool children // Voprosy psyhologii. 2004. № 1.
- Elkonin D. B., Zinchenko V. P.
Psychology of Development (following L. Vygotsky).
[Free full-text in Russian]
- Elkonin, D. B. The Psychology of Play. Moscow, 1999.
- Yudina, E. G. Communication and activity in the preschool and
primary school age group // Education: education theories, systems, techniques.
- Bodrova E., & Leong, D.
Tools of the mind: Vygotskian approach to early childhood
education. (2nd ed.) Columbus, OH: Merrill/Prentice Hall. 2007.
- Chaiklin S.
The Zone of Proximal Development in Vygotsky’s analysis of
learning and instruction. In: A. Kozulin, B. Gindis, V. Fgeev, S. Miller
(Eds). Vygotsky’s educational theory in cultural context / Cambridge University
Press, 2003. [Free full-text]
- Cole, M. & Griffin, P. A sociohistorical approach to
remediation. In S. deCastell, A. Luke & K. Egan (Eds.),
Literacy, society, and schooling 1986.
- Haywood, C. H. & Lidz, C. S.
Dynamic assessment in practice: Clinical and educational
applications. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Heckman J.
Policies to foster human capital // Research in Economics
(2000) 54. [Free full-text]
- Heckman J., Cunha F., Lochner L., Masterov D. Interpreting
the evidence on life
cycle skill formation // Handbook of the Economics of Education, Vol. 1.
Amstgerdam: Elsevier, 2006. [Free full-text]
- Leong, D. J., Bodrova, E.
Tools of the Mind: A Vygotskian based early childhood
curriculum. Early Childhood Services: An Interdisciplinary Journal of
Effectiveness. Vol. 3 (3), 2009. [Free full-text]
- McGregor S. G., Cheung Y. B., Santiago C., Glewwe P., Richter L.,
Strupp B., and the International Child Development Steering Group.
development in developing countries. Lancet Series, 2007. [Free
- Miller S. How literature discussion shapes thinking: ZPDs for
teaching/learning habits of the heart and mind. In: A. Kozulin, B. Gindis, V.
Fgeev, S.Miller (Eds).
Vygotsky’s educational theory in cultural context /
Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Wertsch J. V.
Mind as action. N.Y.-Oxford, 1988.