Previous issue (2020. Vol. 25, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Psychology of personality self-presentation: gender and age aspects 8444
PhD in Psychology, Senior Lecturer, Chair of State and Municipal Management, Higher School of Management, Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg, Russia
The article reveals the significance of expanded understanding of the socio- psychological phenomenon of self-presentation, inconsistency in views on this phenomenon. Self-presentation of personality is seen as a processual activity, which is an integral component of any communicative act, a general characteristic of social behavior, as well as a means to control the impression that a person makes on others in the process of interaction with them. The results of a study aimed at investigating approaches to understanding this phenomenon, allowed the author to reveal proactive and reactive self-presentation. We present an analysis of gender and age-specific tactics of self-presentation. We consider categories and theoretical approaches to understanding the nature of the concept “self-presentation of personality”, tactics and strategies of self-presentation, situational, motivational and personality factors in their effect on the awareness and goal-orientation of the self-presentation subject’s actions on impression control.
Keywords: self-presentation of personality, tactics and strategies of self- presentation, impression control, proactive and reactive personality self- presentation, self-presentation competence, self-monitoring, gender, age.
Column: Developmental Psychology
- Karaseva S. K., Hazova S. A. Samoprezentaci- onnaja kompetentnost'
sovremennogo konkurento- sposobnogo specialista // Vestnik Adygejskogo go-
sudarstvennogo universiteta. Serija 3. Pedagogika i psihologija. 2012. № 4. S.
- Pikuljova O. A. Gendernye, vozrastnye i professional'nye
osobennosti taktik samoprezentacii. Avtoref. diss. … kand. psihol. nauk. SPb.,
- Pikuljova O. A. Samoprezentacija lichnosti v processe social'nogo
vzaimodejstvija // Vestnik S-Peterb. un-ta. Ser. 6. Filosofija, politologija,
sociologija, pravo, mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija. 2005. № 3. S. 75–97.
- Svencickij A. L. Social'naja psihologija. M., 2003.
- Arkin R. M. Self-presentation // The self in social psychology /
Ed. by Vallacher R.R., Wegner D.M. / L.&N.Y.: Oxford Univ. Press,
- Baumeister R. F., Leary M. R. The need to belong: Desire for
interpersonal attachments as a fundamen- tal human motivation. Psychological
Bulletin.: 1995. 117. Р. 497–529.
- Goffman E. The presentation of self in everyday life. NY: Ancchor
- Jones E. E., Pittman T. S. Toward a general theory of strategic
self-presentation. In J. Suls (Ed.). Psy- chological perspective on the self
(pp. 231–261). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1982.
- Lee S.-J., Quigley B. M., Nesler M. S., Cor- bett A. B., Tedeschi
J. Development of a self-presen- tation tactics scale // Personality and
Individual Dif- ferences. 1999. № 26. Р. 701–722.
- Schlenker B. Self-presentation // HANDBOOK of Self and Identity /
By M. Leary et al., 2003. Р. 488–518.