Previous issue (2020. Vol. 25, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
A system approach to creating a safe environment in an educational institution 1189
Psychologist, Municipal psychological service of Haifa and the Haifa District, Israel
PhD, Senior Psychologist, The Israeli Center for Prevention of stress in the population,
We discuss the problem of creating a secure environment in an educational institution. We emphasize the need for a system approach to the problem. In solving this issue, it is proposed to consider providing help not only for the children who find themselves in the middle of events, but also to other people who may not come into close contact with the traumatic event. We introduce the concept of vulnerability network and support network. We consider a multi-channel model of coping with stress, allowing to select the best ways to help each injured. On an example, we consider organization of assistance to those affected by the emergent situation. We emphasize the need for preventive instruction of the school community to act in an emergent situation.
- Mirimanova M. S., Moshinskaja L. R. Profilaktika obrazovatel'noj
sredy i psihologicheskaja pomoshh' doshkol'nikam v preodolenii stressovyh
situacij // Psihologija obuchenija (vyjdet v 2014. № 1).
- Ayalon O. Community Oriented Preparation for Emergency: C.O.P.E //
Journal of Death Education, 1979.
- Galliano S. & Lahad S. Manual for practice of CIPR , London:
ICAS [Independent Counseling and Advisory Services], 2000.
- Garbarino J. Children in Danger: Coping with the Consequences of
Community Violence, San Fran- cisco, Jossey-Bass, 1992.
- Hodgkinson P. & Shepherd M. The impact of dis- aster support
work // Journal of Traumatic Stress. 1994. 7(4).
- Klingman A. Psychological and Educational In- tervention in
Disaster. Ministry of Education, Jeru- salem, 1991. (In Hebrew).
- Lahad S. Evaluation of a Multimodal Programme to Strengthen the
Coping of Children and Teachers under Stress of shelling. Columbia Pacific
Univer- sity PHD Dissertation, 1984.
- Lahad S. & Cohen E. Community Stress Preven- tion, Kiryat
- Mitchell J. When disaster strikes...the critical in- cident stress
debriefing process //Journal of Emer- gency Medical Services. 1985.
- Mitchell J. & Bray G. Emergency Services Stress. Englewood
Clift. N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1990.
- Mitchell J. & Dyregrov A. Traumatic stress in disaster workers
and emergency personnel // The International Handbook of Traumatic Stress
Syndromes. New York: Plenum Press. 1993.
- Niv S. The Influence of a Psychoeducational Preventive Program on
Children’s Coping with Re- current Traumatic Events, PhD dissertation, New-
- Shacham Y. Stress Reactions and Activating Coping Resources.
Newport, PhD. Dissertation, 1996.
- Shacham Y. Helping the Helpers: Cross-Cultur- al Program Using the
‘BASIC PH’ Model // The ‘BA- SIC PH’ Model of Coping and Resiliency: Theory,
Resurch and Cross-Cultural Application. London, 2013.