Previous issue (2020. Vol. 25, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Visual Support in Children with Autism Spectrum Development as a Tool for Changing Problem Behavior 1718
Educational Psychologist, school № 285, Moscow, Russia
The paper presents data of observations made in a group of 10 children with autism spectrum disorder aged 5-8 years experiencing behavioral problems and difficulties with communication and social interaction. A behavioral intervention was carried out in the group basing on the principles of applied behavioral analysis (ABA). Following the primary test and with accordance to the parents’ requests, a team of specialists worked over the period of six months attempting to change problem behaviors and to compensate for academic deficiencies in the children. Each day the specialists along with the parents collected data and introduced necessary corrections into the intervention plans. Since all children in the group could barely understand speech and had much difficulty with communication, one of the core methods employed in the work was visual support which became a basic element in every technique applied. Applying visual supports in education settings as well as at home contributed much to the compensation of the difficulties related to speech understanding and helped decrease the level of anxiety in the children, which, in turn, resulted in an apparent decline in problem behavior and faster progress in the acquisition of academic skills.
- Baenskaya E.R. Pomoshch’ v vospitanii detei s os- obym emotsional’nym
razvitiem [Assist in the education of children with special emotional
development]. Seriya: Osobyi rebenok. Issledovaniya i opyt pomoshchi
[Se- ries: special child. research and support experience]. Moscow:
Terevinf, 2009. 112 p.
- Barbera M.L. Detskii autizm i verbal’no-pove- dencheskii podkhod [Infantile
autism and verbal and behavioral approach]. Moscow: Rama Pablishing, 2014. 304
- Beiker Bryus L., Braitman Alan Dzh. Put’ k nezavisi- mosti: Obuchenie detei
s osobennostyami razvitiya by- tovym navykam [The road to independence.
Education of children with special needs household skills]. Mos- cow: Terevinf,
2002, pp. 124–132.
- Volkmar. L. Vaizner. Autizm. Prakticheskoe rukovod- stvo dlya roditelei,
chlenov sem’i i uchitelei [Autism. A practical guide for parents, family
members and teachers]. Moscow: Rama Pablishing, 2014. 224 p.
- Dolenko O.V. Autizm u detei. Chto sleduet
znat’ o pervykh simptomakh rasstroistva [Autism in chil- dren: you need
to know about the first symptoms of the disorder]. Available at:
- Libling M.M. Emotsional’nye narusheniya v detskom vozraste i ikh
korrektsiya [Emotional disturbances in children and their correction]. Moscow:
MGU, 1990. 342 p.
- Morozov S.A Autizm. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po korrektsionnoi rabote
[Methodical recommendations on correctional work]. Materialy k
spetskursu [Materials for the course]. Moscow: Signal, 2003. 102
- Morozova S.S. Autizm. Korrektsionnaya rabota pri tyazhelykh i oslozhnennykh
formakh [Autism. Correc- tional work in severe and complicated forms ].
Korrektsi- onnaya pedagogika [Correctional pedagogy]. Moscow:
Vlados, 2007. 176 p.
- Piters T. Autizm: Ot teoreticheskogo ponimaniya k
pedagogicheskomu vozdeistviyu [Autism: the theo- retical understanding of the
practical impact]. Moscow: VLADOS, 2003. 240 p.
- Shramm R. Detskii autizm i AVA [Infantile autism and ABA]. Moscow: Rama
Pablishing, 2013. 256 p.
- Behavioral intervention for autism: a distinction between two behavior
analytic approaches [Elek- tronnyi resurs].