Previous issue (2020. Vol. 25, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Ascending from the Abstract to the Concrete as a Principle of Expansive Learning 302
PhD, Professor Emeritus of Education, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
The article examines the potential of the dialectical principle of ascending from the abstract to the concrete for transforming practices of learning. It is shown that V.V. Davydov’s work has created a foundation for such transformation. The theory of expansive learning builds on Davydov’s legacy and brings the principle of ascending from the abstract to the concrete into learning and concept formation outside schools, “in the wild.” Three studies investigating different scales of expansive learning are discussed, focusing on the internally contradictory germ cells discovered and used in those studies. The article concludes by emphasizing the need to integrate Davydov’s revolutionary pedagogy and the broader agenda of school transformation as part of societal transformation.
- Bal A., Afacan K., Cakir H.I. Culturally responsive school discipline:
Implementing Learning Lab at a high school for systemic transformation.
American Educational Research Journal, 2018. Vol. 55 (5), pp.
- Caldwell H., Krinsky J., Brunila M., Ranta K.. Learning to common,
commoning as learning. ACME: An International Journal for Critical
Geographies, 2019. Vol. 18 (6), pp. 1207—1233.
- Davydov V.V. Types of generalization in instruction: Logical and
psychological problems in the structuring of school curricula. Reston, VA:
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1990.
- Davydov V.V. Problems of developmental instruction: A theoretical and
experimental psychological study. New York: Nova Science Publishers,
- Engeström Y. Collective concept formation as creation at work. In A.
Sannino & V. Ellis (Eds.), Learning and collective creativity.
London: Routledge, 2013, pp. 246—270.
- Engeström Y. Learning by expanding: An activity-theoretical approach to
developmental research. 2nd Cambridge: Cambridge University
- Engeström Y. Expertise in transition: Expansive learning in medical
work. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Engeström Y. Concept formation in the wild: Towards a research agenda.
Éducation et Didactique, 2020. Vol. 14 (14—2), pp.
- Engeström Y., Nummijoki J., Sannino A. Embodied germ cell at work: Building
an expansive concept of physical mobility in home care. Mind, Culture, and
Activity, 2012. Vol. 19 (3), pp. 287—309.
- Engeström Y., Rantavuori J., Kerosuo H. Expansive learning in a library:
Actions, cycles and deviations from instructional intentions. Vocations and
Learning, 2013. Vol. 6 (1), pp. 81—106.
- Engeström Y., Sannino A. Studies of expansive learning: Foundations,
findings and future challenges. Educational Research Review, 2010.
Vol. 5 (1), pp. 1—24.
- Engeström Y., Sannino A. Concept formation in the wild. Mind, Culture,
and Activity, 2012. Vol. 19 (3), 201—206.
- Engeström Y., Sannino A. From mediated actions to heterogenous coalitions:
Four generations of activity-theoretical studies of work and learning.
Mind, Culture, and Activity, 2020. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1080/1074903
- Englund C. Exploring interdisciplinary academic development: The Change
Laboratory as an approach to team-based practice. Higher Education Research
& Development, 2018. Vol. 37 (4), pp. 698—714.
- Foot K.A. Cultural-historical activity theory as practice theory:
Illuminating the development of conflict-monitoring network. Communication
Theory, 2001. Vol. 11 (1), pp. 56—83.
- Gromyko Y.V., Rubtsov V.V., Margolis A.A. The school as ecosystem of
developing child-adult communities: Activity approach to designing the school
of the future. Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2020. Vol. 16 (1), pp.
- Ilyenkov E.V. Dialectical logic: Essays on its theory and history.
Moscow: Progress, 1977.
- Ilyenkov E.V. The dialectics of the abstract and the concrete in Marx’s
Capital. Moscow: Progress, 1982.
- Land R., Meyer J., Smith J. (Eds.) Threshold concepts within the
disciplines. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers, 2008.
- Lotz-Sisitka H., Mukute M., Chikunda C., Baloi A., Pesanayi T.
Transgressing the norm: Transformative agency in community-based learning for
sustainability in southern African contexts. International Review of
Education, 2017. Vol. 63 (6), pp. 897—914.
- Mäkitalo J. Work-related well-being in the transformation of nursing
home work. Oulu: University of Oulu, 2005.
- Meyer J., Land R. Threshold concepts and troublesome knowledge (1):
Linkages to ways of thinking and practising within the disciplines.
Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh, 2003, pp. 412—424.
- Meyer J.H., Land R. Threshold concepts and troublesome knowledge (2):
Epistemological considerations and a conceptual framework for teaching and
learning. Higher Education, 2005. Vol. 49 (3), pp. 373—388.
- Morselli D. The Change Laboratory for teacher training in
entrepreneurship education: A new skills agenda for Europe. New York:
- Nummijoki J., Engeström Y., Sannino A. Defensive and expansive cycles of
learning: A study of home care encounters. Journal of the Learning
Sciences, 2018. Vol. 27 (2), pp. 224—264.
- Radford L. Davydov’s concept of the concept and its dialectical materialist
background. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 2020.
- Rantavuori J., Engeström Y. (forthcoming). Constructing degrowth: Long
cycle of expansive learning in a food cooperative.
- Rantavuori J., Engeström Y., Lipponen L. Learning actions, objects and
types of interaction: A methodological analysis of expansive learning among
pre-service teachers. Frontline Learning Research, 2016. Vol. 4 (3),
- Sannino A. Enacting the utopia of eradicating homelessness: toward a new
generation of activity-theoretical studies of learning. Studies in
Continuing Education, 2020a. Vol. 42 (2), pp. 163—179.
- Sannino A. Transformative agency as warping: How collectives accomplish
change amidst uncertainty. Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 2020b.
- Sannino A., Engeström Y. Co-generation of societally impactful knowledge in
Change Laboratories. Management Learning, 2017. Vol. 48 (1), pp.
- Sannino A., Engeström Y., Lemos M. Formative interventions for expansive
learning and transformative agency. Journal of the Learning Sciences,
2016. Vol. 25 (4), pp. 599—633.
- Tarlau R. Occupying schools, occupying land: How the landless workers
movement transformed Brazilian education. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Vilela R.A. & al. (Eds.). Collaborative development for the
prevention of occupational accidents and diseases: Change Laboratory in
workers’ health. New York: Springer, 2020.
- Virkkunen J., Newnham D.S. The Change Laboratory: A tool for
collaborative development of work and education. Rotterdam: Sense
- Vygotsky L.S. Thinking and speech. In The collected works of
L.S. Vygotsky, vol. 1: Problems of general psychology. New York:
- Wagenschein M. Verstehen lehren: Genetisch, sokratisch, exemplarisch
(Teaching to understand: Genetic, Socratic, exemplary). Weinheim: Beltz,