Symptoms of culture shock: overview and classification 6337
The contribution analyzes the phenomenon of culture schock and its symptoms in historical context. It describes the content of such notions as “culture schock” and “acculturation” which are used for indication of experience of adaptation to a different cultural environment in Russian and foreign ethnical and cross-cultural psychology. The article presents a review of foreign researches dedicated to studying the symptoms of culture shock. It also proposes a classification of symptoms of culture shock based on the stress theory and the concept of integrative psychic formations: they are divided into behavioral, somatic and psychological symptoms. Psychological symptoms of culture shock are differentiated on the basis of affective, regulative, communicative and reflexive psychic formations. This classification can be used both in further researches aimed at studying the symptoms of culture shock and in individual and group counseling work in educational and social institutions for citizens going abroad in order to optimize their integration into new cultural environment.
Keywords: ethnical psychology, cross-cultural psychology, culture shock, acculturation, symptoms of culture shock, classification
- Vodop'yanova N.E. Psihodiagnostika stressa. SPb.,
- Panferov V.N., Miklyaeva A.V., Rumyanceva P.V.
Osnovy psihologii cheloveka. SPb., 2009.
- Smolina T.L. Akkul'turaciya v inokul'turnoi srede:
rossiiskie vizitery v SShA// Materialy Vtoroi Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi
konferencii «Teoreticheskie problemy etnicheskoi i kross-kul'turnoi
psihologii», 26-27 maya 2010 g. /Otv. red. V.V. Gricenko. Smolensk,
- Triandis G. Kul'tura i social'noe povedenie. M.,
- Uord K. Azbuka akkul'turacii // Psihologiya i
kul'tura/ Pod red. D.Macumoto. SPb., 2003.
- Bock P. Culture Shock: a Reader in Modern
Anthropology. N. Y., 1970.
- Furnham A., Bochner S. Culture Shock: Psychological
Reactions to Unfamiliar Environments. L., N. Y., 1986.
- Graves T.D. Psychological acculturation in a
triethnic community // Southwestern Journal of Anthropology. 1967. №
Grove C. Orientation Handbook for
Youth Exchange Programs. Yarmouth, ME, 1989.
- Kim Y. Y. Becoming Intercultural: an Integrative
Theory of Communication and Cross-cultural Adaptation. Thousand Oaks, CA ,
- Mumford D. B. The measurement of culture shock //
Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 1998. № 33.
- Oberg K. Culture shock//Paper presented to the
Women's Club of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. August 3, 1954.
- Redfield R., Linton R., Herskovits M.H. Memorandum
on the study of acculturation // American Anthropologist. 1936.
- Taft R. Coping with unfamiliar cultures// Warren N.
Studies in Cross-cultural Psychology. Vol. 1. L., 1977.
- Zapf M. Cross-cultural transitions and wellness:
dealing with culture shock // International Journal for the Advancement of
Counseling. 1991. №14.