Mass media in system of predictors for suicidal behavior in adolescents 1835
PhD in Psychology, Director of Center for Emergent Psychological Aid, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Medicine, senior researcher, Center for Urgent Psychological Help, head of laboratory Scientific-methodical support of urgent psychological help, Moscow State Research Institute of Psychiatry, Ministry of Public Health and Social Development, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
Laboratory Assistant, Center for Emergent Psychological Aid, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The article provides an overview of international sources that attempt to identify the effect of mass media information messages concerning suicide on the public. We concern the possibility of imitative suicides after media coverage of suicide incidents (“Werter syndrome”), providing data on suicides increase following media reports on this topic. We discuss the data obtained by surveys conducted among Internet users of pro-suicidal web sites. On the example of recent international research, we note that despite the contradicting research results, the mass media impact on suicidal adolescents and young adults is possible, especially among young people most affected by external influences. The analysis of causes, motives and methods of suicide among adolescents and young people, as described by media, showed that among the causes dominate family and peers conflicts, among the motives – “protest"”, “revenge” (48%) and “call” (16.6%). Pre-suicidal period in 75% of patients was characterized as affective and stressful. The article emphasizes that simplification of media reports and their focusing on one of the suicide risk factors (family, school, or Internet) cannot see the whole picture of suicidal behavior as a set of internal and external factors and their interaction.
Keywords: suicide, teenagers, media coverage, pro-suicidal web sites, motives and methods of suicide among adolescents and young adults.
Column: Psychology of safety
- Abrumova A.G., Tihonenko V.A. Diagnostika suicidal'nogo povedeniya
- Volikova S.V., Holmogorova A.B. Proyavleniya emocional'noi
dezadaptacii u shkol'nikov iz razlichnyh social'nyh grupp // Drugoe detstvo:
Sb. nauch. statei / L.F. Obuhova, E.G. Yudina, I.A. Korepanova
(red.). M., 2009.
- Vsemirnaya organizaciya zdravoohraneniya. Prevenciya samoubiistv.
Rukovodstvo dlya specialistov sredstv massovoi informacii. Zheneva, 2000.
- Sredstva massovoi informacii i prava rebenka. Spravochnik dlya
zhurnalistov, sostavlennyi samimi zhurnalistami. Zheneva, 2005.
- Ashton J.R., Donnan S. Suicide by burning as an epidemic
phenomenon: An analysis of 82 deaths and inquests in England and Wales in
19781979 // Psychological Medicine. 1981. Vol. 11.
- Baker D., Fortune S. Understanding self-harm and suicide websites.
A qualitative interview study of young adult website users // Crisis. 2008.
Vol. 29 (3).
- Becker K., Schmidt M.H. Internet chat rooms and suicide // Journal
of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2004. Vol. 43.
- Daigle M., Beausoleil L., Brisoux J., Raymond S., Charbonneau L.,
Desaulniers J. Reaching suicidal people with media campaigns. New
challenges for a new century // Crisis. 2006. Vol. 27 (4).
- Diekstra RFW, et al. (Eds.). Preventive Strategies on Suicide.
- Hawton K. Media influences on suicidal behavior in young people // Crisis.
1995. Vol. 16/3.
- Hawton K. et al. Effects of a drug overdose in a television drama
on presentations to hospital for self-poisoning: time series and questionnaire
study // British Medical Journal. 1999. Vol. 318.
- McGee R., Williams S., Nada-Raja S. Low self-esteem and
hopelessness in childhood and suicidal ideation in early adulthood// Journal of
Abnormal Child Psychology. 2001. Vol. 29.
- Mehlum L. The internet, suicide, and suicide prevention // Crisis.
- Mittendorfer?Rutz E., Rasmussen F., Wasserman D. Restricted fetal
growth and adverse maternal psychosocial and socioeconomic conditions as risk
factors for suicidal behavior of offspring: A cohort study// Lancet. 2004. Vol.
- Mittendorfer?Rutz E., Rasmussen F., Wasserman D. Familial
clustering of suicidal behavior and psychopathology in young suicide attempters
: A register?based nested case control study// Soc. Psychiatry Psychiatr
Epidemiol. 2008. Vol.43.
- Olson G., von Knorring A.?L. Adolescent depression: Prevalence in
Swedish highschool students // Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1999. Vol. 99.
- Philips D.P., Lesnya K., Paight D.J. Suicide and media //Maris
R.W., Berman A.L., Maltsberger J.T. (Eds.) // Assessment and Prediction of
Suicide. N. Y., 1992.
- Platt S. The aftermath of Angies overdose. Is soap (opera)
damaging to your health? // British Medical Journal. 1987. Vol. 294.
- Ruder T.D., Hatch M., Ampanozi G., Thali M.J., Fischer N. Suicide
Announcement on Facebook // Crisis. 2011. Vol. 32(5).
- Shaffer, M.J., Delgado J.A. Field techniques for modeling nitrogen
management // Follett et al. (Ed.) Nitrogen in the Environment: Sources,
Problems, and Management. N. Y., 2001.
- Schmidtke A., Hafner H. The Werther effect after television films:
New evidence for an old hypothesis // Psychological Medicine. 1988. Vol.
- Thompson S. The internet and its potential influence on suicide //
Psychiatric Bulletin. 1999. Vol. 23
- Wasserman D. (Ed.) Suicide an unnecessary death. L., 2001.
- Wasserman D., Cheng Q., Jiang G.X. Global suicide rates among
young people aged 1519 // World Psychiatry. 2005. Vol. 4.
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System: 2011 National Overview.