Emotional Sphere in Elderly People: Age and Regional Differences 3204
PhD in Psychology, chair of pedagogy and psychology, Moscow Social Pedagogical Institute, Moscow, Russia
We present a study of the negative aspects of the emotional sphere in elderly man: depression and loneliness. Empirical research was carried out in Moscow and Grozny involving elderly people living in families and in geriatric centers (201 subjects), as well as with middle-aged people (132 subjects). We used the following methods: Zung differential diagnosis of depressive states inventory in adaptation by T.I. Balachova and D. Russell and M. Ferguson Loneliness scale (UKL) in adaptation by N.E. Vodopyanova. It is shown that at the present stage of development of society, middle-aged people already have quite high level of depression and pronounced sense of loneliness. We confirmed the hypothesis that the preservation of the negative aspects of the emotional sphere in elderly people is less dependent on the conditions of life at the micro level (family or gerontology center) and more dependent from the living conditions at the macro level (socio-economic situation in the region). In Grozny, a city of more complex socio-economic situation, negative emotional states are more pronounced than in Moscow.
- Bikson T.K., PeploL.Je., Ruk K.S., GudchaildsZh.D. Zhizn' starogo i
odinokogo cheloveka [Life of the old and lonely person]. Psihologiya starosti.
Hrestomatiya [Old age's psychology.Anthology]. Raigorodskii D. Ya., ed. Samara:
BAHRAH–M, 2004, pp. 659–685.
- Dzhems U. Lichnost' i ee sostavlyaiushhie [Personality and her components].
Psihologiya lichnosti. Hrestomatiya [Psychology of the personality. Anthology].
Gippenreiter Yu.B, eds. Moscow: AST, Astrel', 2009, pp. 14–22.
- Kalish R. Pozhilye ljudi i gore [Old people and grief]. Psihologiya
starosti i stareniya. Hrestomatiya [Old age and aging psychology. Anthology].
Krasnova O.V., eds. Moscow: Akademiya, 2003, pp. 322–327.
- Loginova N.A. Razvitie lichnosti i ee zhiznennyi put' [Development of the
personality and her course of life]. Psihologiya lichnosti v trudah
otechestvennyh i zarubezhnyh psihologov [Psychology of the personality in works
of domestic and foreign psychologists]. Kulikov L.V., ed. St. Petersburg:
Piter, 2009, pp. 151–156.
- Minigalieva M.R. Lichnostnye tipy i social'nye kontakty liudei pozdnego
vozrasta [Personal types and social contacts of people of old age]. Psihologiya
starosti. Hrestomatija [Old age's psychology.Anthology]. Raigorodskgii
D.Ja., ed. Samara: BAHRAH–M, 2004, pp. 350–364.
- Nartova–Bochaver S.K., Bochaver K.A., BochaverS. Ju. Zhiznennoe
prostranstvo sem'i: objedinenie i razdelenie [Vital space of a family:
association and division]. Moscow: Genezis, 2011. 320 p.
- Obuhova L.F., Obuhova O.B., Shapovalenko I.V. Problema stareniya s
biologicheskoi i psihologicheskoi tochek zreniya [Aging problem from the
biological and psychological points of view]. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i
obrazovanie [Psychological Science and Education], 2003, no 3, pp.
- Sapogova E.E. Jekzistencial'no–psihologicheskij analiz starosti
[Existential and psychological analysis of an old age].
Kul'turno–istoricheskaya psikhologiya [Cultural–Historical Psychology],
2011, no 3, pp. 75–81.
- Stuart–Gamil'ton Ya. Psihologiya stareniya [Aging psychology].
Sankt–Peterburg: Piter, 2010. 320 p.
- Shapovalenko I.V. Social'naya situaciya razvitiya v pozhilom vozraste
[Social situation of development in old age]. Psihologiya starosti.
Hrestomatiya [Old age's psychology.Anthology]. Raigorodskii D.Ja., ed. Samara:
BAHRAH–M, 2004, pp. 525–537.
- Shahmatov N.F. Starenie. Norma i patologiya [Aging. Norm and pathology].
Psihologiya starosti. Hrestomatiya [Old age's psychology. Anthology].
Raigorodskii D.Ja., ed. Samara: BAHRAH–M, 2004, pp. 228–322.