Interaction with the Mother in Children Born as a Result of in Vitro Fertilization (IVF): Attachment and Parenting Style Features 1753
Post-graduate Student, Chair of Development Psychology, Department of Educational Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology & Education, Moscow, Russia
The article is devoted to the social and emotional development of children. We tested and partially confirmed the hypothesis that children born as a result of reproductive technology, less often show reliable attachment type than the naturally born children. Such a pattern may emerge because of the behavior of IVF mothers. The present study involved 11 children aged from 5 years to 6 years 11 months, born as a result of IVF, and 10 control children conceived naturally, as well as their mothers. To collect anamnesis, we used: survey of parents with Child-parent emotional interaction questionnaire, and techniques Analysis of family education, projective drawing techniques Nest drawing and Drawing dialogue aimed at identifying the quality of the child's attachment to his mother and interaction in the dyad, as well as Kaplan method for determining the type of attachment.
- Abramian L.A. Emotsional'noe samochuvstvie rebenka v protsesse
vzaimodeistviia s mater'iu [Emotional well-being of the child in the process of
interaction with the mother]. Problemy gumanizatsii
vospitatel'no-obrazovatel'nogo protsessa v detskom sadu [Problems of
humanisation of upbringing and education in kindergarten]. Perm': PGPI, 1993,
- Bowlby G. Priviazannost' [Attachment]. Moscow: Gardariki, 2003. 477 p.
- Burmenskaia G.V. Metodiki diagnostiki priviazannosti k materi rebenka
doshkol'nogo i mladshego shkol'nogo vozrasta [Diagnostic methods of attachment
to the mother in preschool and primary school age children].
Psikhologicheskaia diagnostika [Psychological diagnostics], 2005, no 4,
- Vozrastno-psikhologicheskii podkhod v konsul'tirovanii detei i podrostkov
[Developmental-psychological approach to counseling children and adolescents].
Burmenskaia G.V., eds. 2-e izd., rasshirennoe. Moscow: MPSI, 2007. 480 p.
- Gusarova A.A. Diagnostika priviazannosti doshkol'nikov i mladshikh
shkol'nikov k materi na osnove proektivnykh metodik i osobennostei
detsko-roditel'skikh vzaimootnoshenii [Attachment diagnostics in preschool and
primary school children to the mother on the basis of projective techniques and
characteristics of parent-child relationships]. Materialy Mezhdunarodnogo
molodezhnogo nauchnogo foruma “LOMONOSOV-2011” [Proceedings of
International youth scientific forum “Lomonosov-2011”]. Andreev A.I.,
eds. 1 elektronnyi opticheskii disk (DVD-ROM). Moscow: MAKS Press, 2011.
- Zakharova E.I. Issledovanie osobennostei emotsional'noi storony
detsko-roditel'skogo vzaimodeistviia [A study of features of the emotional side
of parent-child interaction]. Zhurnal prakticheskogo psikhologa [Journal of
practical psychology], 1996, no 6, pp. 96–104.
- Zakharova E.I., Karabanova O.A. Diagnostika kharaktera detsko-roditel'skikh
otnoshenii v probe na sovmestnuiu deiatel'nost' [Diagnostics of parent-child
relationship via joint activity trials]. Psikholog v detskom sadu
[Psychology in kindergarten], 2002, no 1, pp. 23–31.
- Lantsburg M.E., Solov'eva E.V. Sravnitel'noe issledovanie materinskogo
otnosheniia k detiam rannego vozrasta, zachatym pri pomoshchi EKO i spontanno
[Comparative study of maternal attitude to young children conceived through IVF
and spontaneously]. U istokov razvitiia. Sbornik tezisov uchastnikov
Chetvertoi vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii po psikhologii
razvitiia [At the root of development: Abstracts of the participants of
the Fourth All-Russian scientific-practical conference on developmental
psychology]. Moscow: GBOU VPO MGPPU, 2013, pp. 40–43.
- Eidemiller E.G., Iustitskis V. Psikhologiia i psikhoterapiia sem'i [Family
psychology and psychotherapy]. 4-e izd. St. Petersburg: Piter, 2008. 672
- Colpin H., Demyttenaere K., Vandemeulebroecke L. New reproductive
technology and the family: The parent–child relationship following in vitro
fertilization. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1995, no. 36,
- Colpin H., Soenen S. Parenting and psychosocial development of IVF
children: a follow-up study. Hum. Reprod, 2002, vol.17, no. 4, pp.
- Gibson F.L., Ungerer J.A., McMahon C.A. et al. The Mother–Child
Relationship Following In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF): Infant Attachment,
Responsivity, and Maternal Sensitivity. J. Child Psychol.
Psychiat, 2000, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1015–1023.
- Golombok S., Brewaeys A., Cook R. et al. The European study of assisted
reproduction families: family functioning and child development. Hum.
Reprod, 1996, vol.11, no.10, pp. 2324–2331.
- Hvidtjørn D., Jacobsson B. Cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorders, and
developmental delay in children born after assisted conception: A systematic
review and meta-analysis. Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med., 2009, vol. 163,
no. 1, pp. 72–83.
- Levy-Shiff R., Vakil E., Dimitrovsky L. et al. Medical, cognitive,
emotional, and behavioral outcomes in school-age children conceived by in-vitro
fertilization . J. Clin. Child. Psychol, 1998, vol. 27, no. 3, pp.
- Sheller S. Understanding Insecure Attachment: A Study Using Children's Bird
Nest Imagery. Journal of the American Art Therapy Association,
2007, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 119–127.
- Van Balen F. Children born following in vitro fertilization. Zeitschrift
fur Erziehungswissenschaft, 1999, no. 2, pp. 31–44.