Testing of Diagnostic Tools to Identify the Role of "Sports Enjoyment" Phenomenon in the End of Sports Career 1120
Doctor of Psychology, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Education, Professor, Head of the Department of Educational Psychology and Pedagogy, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Master of Sports of International Class, Aerobic Gymnastics, Moscow, Russia
PhD in Psychology, Associate Professor, Department of Neuro- and Pathopsychology, Faculty of Psychology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
The article is devoted to the motivation to run or to end of young athletes career. This article describes the steps of sports career. "Sports Enjoyment" concept is considered as one of the motivating factors. In a sample of 225 athletes from 28 different sports, we tested the questionnaire "The Role of Enjoyment in the End of Sports Career" and identified factors associated with possible quiting the sport. This method provides information on the subjective reasons for retiring from the sport, which relate primarily to the loss of pleasure in sport activities. The study shows that сhildren aged 13-14 years old are ready to leave the sport on average 26% more than the beginners, or adult athletes. This method is aimed at forecasting the career of professional athlete, and therefore it seems so be useful to coachers and psychologists, as it can give them necessary information about the sportsman priorities he is guided when deciding whether to continue or end the sports careers.
- Bussman G. Faktory, vliyayushchie na ukhod iz sporta yunykh sportsmenov
[Factors that effect leaving sports by young athlete]. Sbornik
informatsionno-analiticheskikh materialov «Sportivnaya nauka v zarubezhnykh
stranakh». Federal'noe agentstvo po fizicheskoi kul'ture i sportu,
Vserossiiskii nauchno- issledovatel'skii institut fizicheskoi kul'tury i
sporta. Moscow: Sovetskii sport, 2006, no. 2, pp. 60-66.
- Volkov I.P. Sportivnaya psikhologiya v trudakh otechestvennykh
spetsialistov [Sport psychology at works of native specialists]. Saint
Petersburg: Piter, 2002. 394 p.
- Gould D., Ueiberg R.S. Osnovy psikhologii sporta i fizicheskoi kul'tury
[Foundations of sport psychology and physical culture]. Kiev: Olimpiiskaya
literatura, 1998. 335 p.
- Dergach E.A. Problemy prezhdevremennogo zaversheniya studentami sportivnoi
kar'ery [Problem of early ending sport career by students]. Molodezh'
i nauka: Sbornik materialov Vosmoi Vserossiiskoi nauchno-tekhnicheskoi
konferentsii studentov, aspirantov i molodykh uchenykh, posvyashchennoi
155-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya K. E. Tsiolkovskogo [Youth and
science: Proceedings of the eight Russian scientific and practical
conference of student and youth scientists, devoted to 155 anniversary of K.E.
Tsiolkovsky]. Krasnoyarsk: Sibirskii federal'nyi universitet, 2012.
- Dergach E.A., Zav'yalova O.B. Motivatsionnyi faktor kak odin iz
reshayushchikh v zavershenii sportivnoi kar'ery sportsmenov raznykh vozrastnykh
grupp [Motivation factor as one of main factors for ending sport career of
different age groups]. Krasnoyarsk: Fizicheskaya kul'tura i sport. Sibirskii
federal'nyi universitet, Krasnoyarskii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii
universitet im. V. P. Astaf'eva, 2011, pp. 228-231.
- Dergach E.A., Ryabinina S.K. Ukhod iz sporta: prichiny i osobennosti
[Leaving sport: reasons and characteristics]. Krasnoyarsk: Sibirskii
Federal'nyi Universitet, 2012. 174 p.
- Il'ina N.L. Dinamika motivatsii na protyazhenii sportivnoi kar'ery:
avtoref. dis na soiskanie uchenoi stepeni k.p.n. spets 19.00.13 [Dynamics of
motivation at sport career. PhD Thesis]. Saint Petersburg, 1998. 155 p.
- Erikson E. Identichnost': yunost' i krizis [Identity: youth and crisis].
Tolstykh A. V. (ed.), vol. 2. Moscow: Flinta, 2006. 352 p.(In Russ.).
- Bloom B. Developing talent in young people. N. Y.: Ballantine, 1985. 572
- Brief A.P., Weiss H.M. Organizational behavior: affect in the workplace.
Annual Review of Psychology,2001, no. 5, pp. 279–307.
- Carlson R.C. In search of the expert sport performance. Science in the
Olympic Sport, 1997, no. 1, pp. 1–13.
- Cote J. The influence of the family in the development of talent in sport.
The Sport Psychologist, 1999, no. 13, pp. 395–417.
- Eys M., Bruner M., Evans B., Jewitt E., Loughead T. Sources of
enjoyment influence cohesion-motivational climate relationships in youth sport.
Journal of sport & exercise psychology, 2011, no. (33), pp.
- MacDonald D.J., Cote J. The role of enjoyment and motivational climate in
relation to the personal development of team sport athletes. The Sport
Psychologist, 2011, no. 25, pp. 32–46.
- McCarthy P.J., Jones M.V. A qualitative study of sport enjoyment in the
sampling years. The Sport Psychologist, 2007, no. 21, pp. 400-416.
- McCarthy P.J., Jones M.V., Clark-Carter D. Understanding enjoyment in youth
sport: A developmental perspective. Psychology of Sport and Exercise,
2008, no. 9, pp. 142–156.
- Measuring enjoyment of physical activity in children: validation of the
Physical Activity Enjoyment Scale. Moore J. (eds.). Journal of Applied Sport
Psychology, 2009, no. 21, pp. 116–129.
- Richard R.M., Frederick Ch.M. Sheldon. Intrinsic motivation and exercise
adherence. Sport Psychology, 1997, no. 28, pp. 335–354.
- Scanlan T.K., Lewthwaite R. Social psychological aspects of competition for
male youth sport participants: Predictors of enjoyment. Journal of Sport
Psychology, 1986, no. 8, pp. 25–35.
- Scanlan T.K., Stein G.L., Ravizza K. An in-depth study of former elite
figure skaters: Sources of enjoyment. Journal of Sport and Exercise
Psychology, 1989, no. 11, pp. 65–83.
- Scanlan T.K., Simons J.P. The construct of sport enjoyment. In Roberts G.C.
(eds.) Motivation in sport and Exercise. Human Kinetics, 1992, pp.
- Sources of enjoyment for youth sport athletes. Scanlan T.K.(eds.).
Pediatric Exercise Science, 1993, no. 5, pp. 275–285.
- The Sport Commitment Model. Scanlan T.K. (eds.). Journal of Sport and
Exercise Psychology, 1993, no. 15, pp. 1-15.
- Vongjaturapat N., Choosakul C., Tayraukham S. The role of sport enjoyment:
A test of the meditational hypothesis in the sport commitment model with Thai
youth athletes. International journal of psychology, 2004, no. 39, pp.
- Weiss M.R., Ferrer-Caja E. Motivational orientations in youth sports. In
Horn T. Advances in sport psychology (2-nd ed.). Champaign, IL: Human
Kinetics. 2002, pp. 101–183.
- Wiersma L.D. Conceptualization and development of the Sources of Enjoyment
in Youth Sport Questionnaire (SEYSQ). Measurement in Physical Education and
Exercise Science, 2001, no. 5, pp. 153–177.