Previous issue (2020. Vol. 11, no. 1)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Structural model of involvement of students in ongoing education 2066
PhD in Psychology, associate professor at the Chair of Management Psychology, Faculty of Social Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
Graduate student, Chair of psychology of management, Faculty of Social Psychology, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, Russia
The article represents the analysis of the existing definitions of the phenomenon of students’ involvement, its multidimensional nature and the lack of common under- standing of its structure. Some actual models of involvement in education, suggested by domestic and foreign researchers, are analyzed, and the importance of studying the characteristics of involvement in continuing education is emphasized and lack of such research is revealed. The necessity of study the phenomenon of involvement in continuing education as a multidimensional construct is proved by arguments. The authors suggest and ground their five-component model of students’ involvement in continuing education, including cognitive, affective, behavioral , motivational and axiological components.
Keywords: students’ involvement, (ongoing) continuing education involvement, training involvement models, structure of involvement in continuing education, five- component model of students’ involvement in continuing education
Column: Theoretical Research
- Barabanshchikova V.V., Klimova O.A. Predstavleniya o vovlechennosti v
rabotu i trudogolizme v sovremennykh psikhologicheskikh issledovaniyakh [The
concept of work engagement and workaholism in modern psychological research].
Natsional’nyi psikho- logicheskiy zhurnal [National psychological
journal], 2015, no. 1(17), pp. 52—60. (In Russ.).
- Denisova L.Ye. Organizatsionno-pedagogicheskiye mekhanizmy formirovaniya
mno- gourovnevoy modeli nepreryvnogo professional’nogo obrazovaniya v
usloviyakh korpora- tivnogo setevogo vzaimodeystviya, Magisterskaya
dissertatsiya [Organizational pedagog- ical mechanisms of formation of
multi-level model of continuous professional education in corporate network
interaction, Master’s thesis]. Moscow, 2014. (In Russ.).
- Kamzanova A.T. Psikhologicheskiye osobennosti vovlechennosti v resheniye
kogni- tivnykh zadach, dissertatsiya na soiskaniye uchenoy stepeni doktora
filosofii (PhD) po spetsial’nosti psikhologiya [Psychological features of
involvement in cognitive problems’ solution: the dissertation for the degree of
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in specialty psy- chology], Kazakhstan, Almaty.
2011. 150 p. (In Russ.).
- Litvinova Ye.Yu. Nepreryvnoye obrazovaniye v kontekste professional’nogo i
li- chnostnogo rosta [Continuing education in the context of professional and
personal growth]. Materialy pervoy Mezhdunarodnoy
- «Sotsial’naya psikhologiya v obrazovatel’nom prostranstve» [First
International scientific- practical conference digest «Social
Psychology in the education field»]. Moscow: GBOU VPO MGPPU, 2013. (In
- Maloshonok N.G. Studencheskaya vovlechennost’: pochemu vazhno izuchat’
protsess obucheniya, a ne tol’ko yego rezul’tat? [Student’s involvement: why it
is important to study the learning process not just the result?]. Monitoring
universiteta [Monitoring Uni- versity], 2011, no 6. pp 11—21. (In
- Maloshonok N.G. Vovlechennost’ studentov v uchebnyy protsess v rossiyskikh
vu- zakh [The students’ involvement in educational process in Russian
universities]. Vyssheye obrazovaniye v Rossii [Higher education in
Russia]. 2014, no. 1, pp. 37—44. (In Russ.).
- Osin Ye.N. Kategoriya otchuzhdeniya v psikhologii obrazovaniya: istoriya i
perspektivy [Alienation category in Educational Psychology: History and
Prospects]. Kul’turno-istoriches- kaya psikhologiya
[Cultural Historical Psychology]. 2015, Vol.11, no. 4, pp.
79—88. (In Russ.).
- Saf’yan N. V. Vovlechennost’ obuchayushchegosya v nepreryvnoye obrazovaniye
kak sotsial’no-psikhologicheskiy fenomen [Student’s engagement in continuing
education as social psychological phenomenon]. Materialy XIV Gorodskoy
nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsyi «Molodyye uchenyye — stolichnomu
obrazovaniyu» [ Materials of the XIV City Scientific and Practical
Conference “Young Scientists for the capital education”]. Moscow,
2015, pp. 160-162 (In Russ.).
- Leontiev D.A. Sovremennaya psikhologiya motivatsii [Modern motivation
psychol- ogy] Moscow: Smysl, 2002. (In Russ.).
- Fedorova N.A. Kontrol’no-diagnosticheskaya deyatel’nost’ prepodavatelya
vuza kak sredstvo upravleniya protsessom obucheniya studenta, Avtoref. diss.
kand. ped. nauk [Control and diagnostic activity of high school teacher as a
method of management of the student’s learning process. Ph. D.
(Pedagogy)Thesis]. Tver, 2011. (In Russ.).
- Admiraal W., Wubbels T., Pilot A. College teaching in legal education:
Teaching method, students’ time-on-task and achievement. Research in Higher
Education, 1999. Vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 687—704.
- Astin A. Student involvement: a developmental theory for higher education.
Journal of College Student Personnel, 1984. Vol. 25, no. 4, pp.
- Astin, A. Involvement in Learning Revisited: Lessons we have Learned.
Journal of College Student Development, 1999. 40 (5), pp. 587—598.
- Bakker A.B., Leiter M.P. Work engagement: a handbook of essential
theory and re- search. Psychology press, 2010. 205 p.
- Coates H. The Value of Student Engagement for Higher Education Quality
Assur- ance. Quality in Higher Education, 2005. Vol. 11, no 1, pp.
- Coates H. A Model of Online and General Campus-Based Student Engagement.
As- sessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 2007. 32 (2), pp.
- Fredricks J., Blumenfeld P., Paris A. School Engagement: Potential of the
Concept, State of the Evidence. Review of Educational Research, 2004.
Vol. 74, no 1, pp. 59—109.
- Fredricks, J.F., McColskey W. The measurement of student engagement: a
compara- tive analysis of various methods and support self-report instruments.
In S.L. Christenson,
- A.L. Reschly, C. Wylie (Eds.). Handbook of research on student
engagement. New York: Springer. 2012, pp. 763—782.
- Kuh, G.D. and Umbach, P.D. College and Character: Insights from the
National Sur- vey of Student Engagement. New Directions for Institutional
Research, 2004,122 (Sum- mer), pp. 37—54.
- Mann S.J. Alternative perspectives on the student experience: Alienation
and engage- ment. Studies in Higher Education, 2001, Vol. 26, no 1, pp.
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Experiences that Matter:
Enhanc- ing Student Learning and Success. Bloomington, IN: Indiana Center for
Postsecondary Research, 2007.
- National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Assessment for Improvement:
Tracking Student Engagement Over Time. Annual Results 2009. Bloomington, IN:
- Schaufeli W.B. What is engagement? In C. Truss, K. Alfes, R. Delbridge, A.
Shantz, & E. Soane (Eds.), Employee Engagement in Theory and
Practice. London: Routledge, Chap- ter 1, 2013, 37 p.
- Trowler V. Student engagement literature review. New-York: The Higher
Education Academy, 2010. 74 p.
- Trygstad P. Student engagement and student voices. [Elektronnyi resurs].
Dis- sertation for the degree of PhD,University of North Carolina,ChapelHill,
2010, 169 p. URL:
c52127303 (Accessed: 21.01.2016).
- Vekkaila J. Doctoral student engagement. The dynamic interplay between
students and scholarly communities. [Elektronnyi resurs]. Dissertation for the
degree of PhD, University of Helsinki. Helsinki, 2014. 110 p. URL: