Origin and functions of sacrifice: its traces in modern social and political acts
, Nizhniy Novgorod State Pedagogical University, Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia
The ritual of sacrifice has many functions: it includes not a worldview func¬tion only but social, economic and political functions as well. It appeared in the culture that passed through the stage of hunting and gathering and is still present in veiled (hidden) form in modern mass culture, literature, arts, politics and everyday life.
Keywords: traditional religions, sacrifice, functions of religion, politics.
- Albedil M. F. In the magic circle of myths. Myth. History. Life. – SPb.:
Parity, 2002. – 336.
- Albedil M. F. Mirror of tradition: The Man in the spiritual traditions of
the East. – SPb.: ABCClassic; Petersburg Oriental Studies, 2003. – 288. –
(World of the East).
- Antipenko A. L. Ancestral Path: Traditional Motifs in «Argonavtike»
Apollonius of Rhodes. – M.: Ladomir, 2005. – 318.
- Wundt W. Myth and Religion / Muller M. Wundt. B. From the word of faith.
Myth and Religion / transl. from English. – M.: Eksmo, SPb: Terra Fantastika,
2002. – (Anthology of thought). – P. 245–825.
- Girard R. Violence and the sacred / trans. from Franch. – Moscow: New
Literary Review, 2000. – 400 p.
- Moss M. Essay on the nature and function of sacrifice / M. Moss The social
functions of the sacred / trans. from Franch. – SPb.: Eurasia, 2000. – 448. –
- Tokarev A. C. Religion in the history of the peoples of the world. – M.:
Politizdat, 1965. 623 p.
- Eliade M. Aspects of the myth / trans. from Franch. – Moscow: The Academic
Project, Paradigm, 2005. – 224. – (Technologies of culture).
- Eliade M. The nostalgia for origins / trans. from Franch. – M.: Institute
for Humanities Research, 2006. – 216 p.
- Cape V. R. At the root of religion // Nature. – 1984. – № 3.