Web of Science СС
Previous issue (2021. Vol. 11, no. 4)
Included in Web of Science СС (ESCI)
Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Psychology
Former Title: Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Seria 16. Psychology. Education
Publisher: Saint Petersburg University
ISSN (printed version): 2658-3607
ISSN (online): 2658-6010
Published since 2011
4 issues per year
Free of fees
Open Access Journal
Community Work in the North — Merging Economy and Psychology 15
The main topic of this article is a presentation of, and reflections upon contributions from the field of Psychology, System Theory, Community Work and Family Therapy in community development projects The projects have been realised through the University of the Arctic, a cooperative network of universities, colleges and other organisations committed to higher education and research in the north. The project partners in those projects are North Eastern Federate University, named after M.K. Ammosov, Institute of Finance and Economics and Development Psychological Aid Centre, Yakutsk, Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Russian Federation and Finnmark University College, Alta, Norway. Nadezdha Melnikova and Eva Carlsdotter Schjetne have developed a working model based on three methodological perspectives, Community and Cultural Psychology, System Theory and Humanistic Psychology. In the systemic approach to psychosocial strain and problems the salutogenetic and resilience perspectives are emphasised. The article pays great attention to building an atmosphere of trust, establishing communication between residents by discussion methods, teaching communication based on a subject-subject model, and Virginia Satir’s approach to communication; recognition of the unique experience of the population; taking into account the ethnocultural component. The active role of rural women in business development is revealed. The importance of Family Therapy is also being discussed. The role of psychologists in the implementation of interdisciplinary projects is shown. The importance of the psychologist’s humanistic orientation in creating a developing situation is also described. The necessity of moving away from the role of an expert is shown.
Keywords: community development, communication, сultural psychology, system theory, humanistic psychology, family therapy
Column: Review and Analytical Articles
Acknowledgements. The article represents the results of the research project “Innovation development of the Northern territories of Russia” held in 2009–2012 by the North-Eastern Federal University named M. K. Ammosov with support of Grant program “Scientific resources development of higher school”, in cooperation with the Arctic University. We are grateful to Natalia N. Okhlopkova, professor, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Director of the Institute of Finance and Economics, NEFU named after M. K. Ammosov in 2002-2012, for the invitation to the project and the organization of coopera- tion between psychologists and economists. Оur special thanks to Oksana D. Romanova, Ph.D., and Larisa Yu. Pisarevа, Ph.D., for the organization of joint work.
- University of the Arctic. UARCTIC web site. Retrieved December 2012.
Available at: http://www.uarctic.org/ (accessed: 12.10.2019).
- Okhlopova N., Pisareva L. Social capital in the innovative
socio-economic development of the northern regions of Russia. Socio-economic
determinants of innovative development: in the emerging paradigm of economic
growth of the northern regions of Russia. Eds N. V. Okhlopkova, T. Herzen, L.
Yu. Pisareva. Lambert Academic Publishing, 2013. (In Russian)
- Lebedeva N. M., Luneva O. V., Stefanenko T. G. Ethnic tolerance training
for schoolchildren. Moscow, Prive Publ., 2004. (In Russian)
- Bordieu P. The forms of capital. Handbook of theory and research for the
sociology of education. Ed. By J. G. Richardson. Greenwood Press, 1986, pp.
- Putnam R. Bowling alone: The collapse and revival of American community.
New York, Simon & Schuster, 2001.
- Aslund C., Starrin B., Nilsson K. W. Social capital in relation to
depression, musculoskeletal pain, and psychosomatic symptoms: a cross-sectional
study of a large population-based cohort of Swedish adolescents. BMC Public
Health, 2010, no. 10 (715).
- World Health Organization. International statistical classification of
diseases and health related problems. Geneva, World Health Organization,
- Bolin K., Lindgren B., Lindström, M., Nystedt P. Investments in social
capital — implications of social interactions for the production of health.
Social Science & Medicine, 2003, no. 56 (12).
- Bronfenbrenner U. The ecology of human development: Experiments by
nature and design. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1979.
- Perkins D., Hughly J., Speer P. Community psychology perspectives on
social capital theory and community development practice. Journal of the
Community Development Society, 2002, vol. 33 (1), pp. 33–52.
- Stefanenko T. G. Ethnopsychology. Moscow, Aspekt Press Publ., 2004. (In
- Shweder R. A. Thinking through cultures: Expeditions in cultural
psychology. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1991.
- Hanssen E. S. S. Ett barnevern til samiske barns beste — riktig hjelp
til riktig tid? Unpublished master’s thesis, 2006, Norwegian University of
Science and Technology, Troms.
- Perkins D., Long D. Neighborhood sense of community and social capital.
Psychological sense of community, Springer, 12 USA, 2002, pp. 291–318.
- Mignone J., O’Neil J. Social capital as a health determinant in first
nations: An exploratory study in three communities. Journal of Aboriginal
Health, 2005, vol. 2 (1), pp. 26–33.
- Rowan J. Humanistic psychology reaches out. Retrieved December 2012.
Available at: http://ahpb.
- Petrovskaya L. A. Theoretical and methodological problems of socio-
psychological training. Moscow, Mosk. un-t Publ., 1982. (In Russian)
- Kharash A. U. Personality, consciousness and communication: to the
substantiation of the intersub- jective approach in the study of communicative
impacts. Psychological and pedagogical problems of communication. Moscow, NII
OPP APN USSR Publ., 1979, pp. 17–35. (In Russian)
- Antonovsky A. Health, stress, and coping. San Francisco, Jossey-Bass,
- Rutter M. Developing concepts in developmental psychopathology.
Developmental psychopathology and wellness. Ed. by J. J. Hudziak. Arlington,
American Psychiatric Publishing, 2008, pp. 3–22.
- Ledogar R. J., Fleming J. Social capital and resilience: A review of
concepts and selected literature relevant to aboriginal youth resilience
research. Pimatisiwin, 2008, vol. 6 (2), pp. 25–46.
- United Nations. Convention on the rights of the child. 1989. Retrieved
December 2012. Available at: http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/crc.htm
- Satir V. Conjoint family therapy. Palo Alto, Science and Behavior Books,
- Satir V. Peoplemaking. Palo Alto: Science and Behavior Books,
- Gerrard S. Global coasts: Life changes, gender challenges. Ed. by R. R.
Balsvik. Troms, Kvinnforsk, University of Troms, 1999, vol. 2.
- Stammler F. Reindeer nomads meet the market: Culture, property and
globalisation at the end of the land. Munster, LIT Verlag, 2005.
- Argyris C., Schon D. A. Theory in practice: Increasing professional
effectiveness. San Francisco, Jossey-Bass, 1974.
- Berger P. L., Luckmann T. The social construction of reality. Garden
City, Anchor Books, 1966.