Features of the Internal Position of an Adult in Modern Students of Early Adolescence
The article presents the results of an empirical study dealing with the features of the adult internal position as a motivational basis for self-determination in modern high school and college students. The study aims to analyze the adult internal position in adolescent students, which is seen as a confluence of the social need for autonomy and the cognitive need for professional education. The hypothesis was tested that the peculiarity of the studied psychological phenomenon is due to the fact that the external conditions of development (environmental factors and institutional requirements for growing up) outpace the formation of internal conditions that ensure the modern young people’s individual psychological readiness for self-determination. We tested the assumption that the institutional requirements for adulthood outpaced the modern young people’s individual psychological readiness for self-determination. Standardized scale methods were used to diagnose the level of professional identity (A. Azbel), the level of ambition and self-esteem (the Dembo-Rubinshtein scale modified by A. Prikhozhan), the level of subjective control (modified by A. Gretsov), as well as to study the emotional attitude towards learning (modified by A. Andreeva-A. Prikhozhan). The sample of the study is 191 people, high school and colleges students from Moscow and Orsk. Correlative, cluster and factor analysis of the data obtained confirmed the assumptions made about the structure of the adult internal position in the early youth and the features of its formation in post-industrial societies. It is shown that the formation of the professional identity of modern high school and college students is more consistent with the objective requirements of the social situation, rather than the level of personal maturity necessary for making informed decisions.
Keywords: adult internal position, normative crisis, age patterns of development, adolescence, early youth
Journal rubric: Developmental Psychology
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The work was carried out within the framework of the State Assignment of the Federal State Budgetary Scientific Institution "PI RAO" No. 075-00646-21-01 dated 16.04.2021 for 2021-2023.
For citation: Andreeva A.D., Begunova L.A., Lisichkina A.G. Features of the Internal Position of an Adult in Modern Students of Early Adolescence. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2023. Vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 58–69. DOI: 10.17759/pse.2023280205. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Andreeva A.D. Otnoshenie k ucheniyu v raznye periody razvitiya rossijskogo shkol'nogo obrazovaniya [Attitude towards studying in different periods of russian school education development]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psihologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2021. Vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 84–92. DOI:10.17759/chp.2021170112 (In Russ.).
- Bozhovich L.I. Lichnost' i ee formirovanie v detskom vozraste [Personality and its formation in childhood]. Saint-Petersburg: Piter Publ., 2008. 400 p. (In Russ.).
- Bozhovich L.I., Morozova N.G., Slavina L.S. Razvitie motivov ucheniya u sovetskikh shkol'nikov [Development of the motives of Soviet schoolchildren]. Izvestiya APN RSFSR [News of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the RSFSR], 1951, no. 36, pp. 29–104. (In Russ.).
- Golovej L.A., Danilova M.V., Gruzdeva I.A. Psihojemocional'noe blagopoluchie starsheklassnikov v svjazi s gotovnost'ju k professional'nomu samoopredeleniju [Psycho-emotional well-being of high school students due to readiness for professional self-determination]. Psihologicheskaja nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2019. Vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 63–73. DOI:10.17759/pse.2019240606 (In Russ.).
- Gretsov A.G., Azbel' A.A. Psikhologicheskie testy dlya starsheklassnikov i studentov [Psychological tests for high school students and students]. Saint-Petersburg: Publ. Piter, 2012, pp. 28–33.
- Kozyreva P.M., Smirnov A.I. Osobennosti i tendencii professional'noj samoidentifikacii v postsovetskoj Rossii [Professional self-identification specifics and trends in post-soviet Russia]. Sociologicheskij zhurnal [Journal of Sociology], 2021. Vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 28–51. DOI:10.19181/socjour.2021.27.1.7843 (In Russ.).
- Kon I.S. Psikhologiya starsheklassnika: Posobie dlya uchitelei [High School Psychology: A Teacher’s Guide]. Moscow: Prosveshchenie Publ., 1980. 192 p. (In Russ.).
- Kochetova Yu.A., Emel'yanova E.A. Psikhologicheskie kharakteristiki proyavleniya grazhdanskoi pozitsii v rannei i pozdnei yunosti [Elektronnyi resurs] [Psychological characteristics of citizenship in early and late adolescence]. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Psychological and educational research, 2019. Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 147–156. DOI:10.17759/psyedu.2019110412 (In Russ.).
- Lubovskii D.V. Ponyatie vnutrennei pozitsii: kul'turno-istoricheskaya perspektiva izucheniya lichnosti shkol'nika [The concept of internal position: the cultural and historical perspective of the student’s personality]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-historical psychology, 2008. Vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 2–8. (In Russ.).
- Mudrik A.V. Obshchenie kak faktor vospitaniya shkol'nikov [Communication as a factor in educating schoolchildren]. Moscow: Pedagogika Publ., 1984. 111 p. (In Russ.).
- Neimark M.S. Izuchenie podrostkov s raznoi napravlennost'yu lichnosti [Study of adolescents with different personality orientations]. In Bozhovich L.I. (eds.). Izuchenie motivatsii povedeniya detei i podrostkov [Research into the motivation of behaviour of children and adolescents]. Moscow: Pedagogika Publ., 1972, pp. 147–248. (In Russ.).
- Pavlenko K.V., Bochaver A.A. Sub’ektivnoe blagopoluchie shkol'nikov v situacii samoopredelenija [Subjective well-being of schoolchildren in the situation of self-determination]. Psihologicheskaja nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, Vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 51–62. DOI:10.17759/pse.2020250605 (In Russ.).
- Prikhozhan A.M. Diagnostika lichnostnogo razvitiya detei podrostkovogo vozrasta [Diagnosis of personal development of children of adolescence]. Moscow: ANO “PEB”, 2007. 56 p. (In Russ.).
- Savon'ko E.I. Vozrastnye osobennosti sootnosheniya orientatsii shkol'nikov na samootsenku i na otsenku drugimi lyud'mi: Avtoref. diss. … kand. psikhol. nauk. [Age-specific characteristics of the ratios of self-esteem and other people’s assessment orientation. PhD (Psychology) Thesis]. Moscow, 1970. 19 p. (In Russ.).
- Salmina N.G., Tikhanova I.G. Vnutrennyaya pozitsiya shkol'nika i sotsial'naya zhelatel'nost' u detei starshego doshkol'nogo i mladshego shkol'nogo vozrastov [Internal school attitude and social desirability in children of senior pre-school and primary school age]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-historical psychology, Vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 56–62. (In Russ.).
- Selezneva A.V., Azarnova A.A. “Rozhdenie grazhdanina”: politiko-psikhologicheskii analiz grazhdanstvennosti rossiiskikh starsheklassnikov ["Citizen’s Birth": A Political and Psychological Analysis of the Citizenship of Russian High School Students]. Politicheskie issledovaniya [Policy. Policy research], 2020, no. 5, pp. 101–113. (In Russ.).
- Sergomanov P.A., Andreeva A.D., Danilova E.E. Rossijskie podrostki jepohi pozdnego SSSR i sovremennogo rossijskogo obshhestva [Russian Adolescents in the Late Soviet Era and Modern Russian Society]. Voprosy psihologii [Questions of Psychology], 2020. Vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 40–53. (In Russ.).
- Sobkin V.S., Kalashnikova E.A. K voprosu o mezhpokolencheskih razlichiyah v social'nom samochuvstvii podrostkov: zhiznennaya poziciya i ocenka znachimosti ugroz [On the question of intergenerational differences in the social well-being of adolescents: life position and assessment of threat significance]. Psihologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie = Psychological Science and Education, 2021. Vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 54–69. DOI:10.17759/pse.2021260303 (In Russ.).
- Tolstykh N.N. Vozmozhnost' svobody [The possibility of freedom]. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-historical psychology, 2007. Vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 19–28. (In Russ.).
- Tolstykh N.N. Sovremennoe vzroslenie [Modern adulthood]. Konsul'tativnaya psikhologiya i psikhoterapiya = Counselling psychology and psychotherapy, 2015, no. 4, pp. 7–24. DOI:10.17759/cpp.2015230402 (In Russ.).
- Andreeva A.D. et al. Formirovanie lichnosti starsheklassnika [Shaping the personality of a high school student]. In Dubrovina I.V. (ed.)/ NII obshch. i ped. psikhologii APN SSSR [The Scientific Research Institute of General and Pedagogical Psychology of the USSR Academy of Pedagogical Sciences]. Moscow: Pedagogika Publ., 1989. 169 p. (In Russ.).
- Shumilin E.A. Psikhologicheskaya kharakteristika lichnosti starsheklassnika [Personality profile of a high school student]. Voprosy psikhologii [Questions of psychology], 1982, no. 5, pp. 72–79. (In Russ.).
- Sarah V. Bentley, Kim Peters, S. Alexander Haslam, Katharine H. Greenaway Construction at Work: Multiple Identities Scaffold Professional Identity Development in Academia // Frontiers in Psychology. 2019. Vol. 10. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00628
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 58
Current month: 1
Previous month: 19
Current month: 0