Сoping with stress in migrant workers
Migration is an objective process in Russia as worldwide. It has always existed and played an important role in human history. The problem of migrant workers is acute in Russia, because it borders on 18 countries. The collapse of the USSR severely damaged the economy of many former socialist republics. Consequently, people who cannot find employment in their country are forced to migrate to Russia to earn money. Most migrant workers face social, economic and psychological problems. Often, lack of social skills adds more problems to their everyday life difficulties. These things cause stress reactions and slow down their adaptation process. On the other hand, one of the most difficult things for migrants is negative attitudes they encounter as newcomers. People around often associate migrants with illegal work, crime and terrorism. On a regular basis, media report about crimes committed by migrants.
Keywords: migrant, labour workers, stress, coping strategies.
Journal rubric: Foreign Studies in Legal Psychology
Article type: scientific article
For citation: Granskaya Y., Lizhenkova E. Сoping with stress in migrant workers [Elektronnyi resurs]. Psikhologiya i pravo = Psychology and Law, 2015. Vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 106–126. DOI: 10.17759/psylaw.2015050410.
- Ababkov, V.A., and M. Perre Adaptatsiya k stressu. Osnovy teorii, diagnostiki, terapii [Adaptation to Stress. The Basics of Theory, Diagnostics, and Therapy]. St. Petersburg, Rech, 2004.
- Berry J. et al. Cross-Cultural Psychology: Research and Applications. Kharkov: Gumanitarny Tsentr, 2007.
- Cohen S. Stress, Social Support, and Disorder.’ In The Meaning and Measurement of Social Support, edited by H.O. Veiel and U. Baumann. Washington DC: Hemisphere, 1992.
- Furnham A., and S. Bochner. Culture Shock: Psychological Reactions to Unfamiliar Environments. L. & N.Y. 1986.
- Gritsenko V.V. Sotsialno-psikhologicheskaya adaptatsiya pereselentsev v Rossii [Social and Psychological Adaptation of Migrants in Russia]. Moscow: Institute of Psychology, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2002.
- Lazarus R., and S. Folkman. Stress, Appraisal and Coping.N.Y., 1984.
- Lebedeva N.M. Etnicheskaya i kross-kulturnaya psikhologiya: uchebnik dlya vysshykh uchebnykh zavedeniy [Cross-Cultural Psychology: A Textbook for Higher Education Institutions]. Moscow: Maks Press, 2011.
- Stefanenko T.G. Etnopsikhologiya [Ethnopsychology]. Moscow: Aspekt-press, 2004.
- Vasserman, L.I., V.A. Ababkov, and E.A. Trifonova. Sovladanie so stressom: teoriya i psikhodiagnostika. Uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie [Stress Coping: Theory and Psychodiagnostics. A Study Guide]. St. Petersburg: Rech, 2010.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 2
Current month: 1
Previous month: 0
Current month: 0