On the Preschool Education of Children with Autism. The Current State of the Issue
The main symptoms of autism takes long time to develop. Preschool education of children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) is not only of psycho-educational and developmental importance, but also serves as the most important preventive factor. The proposed thematic issue «Preschool Education of Children with ASD: the Implementation of Adapted Educational Programs and the Application of Evidence-Based Practices» presents six articles on the actual issues of preschool education for children with autism spectrum disorders in Russia. Two articles deal with general issues (research and diagnosis of ASD), the authors of four other articles introduce the methods of teaching and support of preschool children. The possible prospects for further research and importance of the topics of publications are shown.
Keywords: autism; autism spectrum disorders (ASD); preschool education; parents of children with autism; bilingualism; comprehensive support; developing space; foreign experience
Journal rubric: Thematic editor's note
Article type: editorial note
For citation: Morozov S.A. On the Preschool Education of Children with Autism. The Current State of the Issue. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2023. Vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 3–6. DOI: 10.17759/autdd.2023210201. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Balčiūnienė I., Kornev A.N. Speech and Oral Discourse in a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Case Study of Spontaneous Bilingualism. Part I: Clinical and Anamnestic Evaluation. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2023, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 68—75. DOI:10.17759/autdd.2023210108
- Dovbnya S., Morozova T., Zalogina T. et al. Deti s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra v detskom sadu i shkole: praktiki s dokazannoi effektivnost’yu [Children with ASD in kindergarten and school: practices with proven efficiency]. Saint Petersburg: Publ. Seans, 2018. 202 p. ISBN 978-5-905669-37-8.
- Morozov S.A. Kompleksnoe soprovozhdenie lits s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra: uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie [Comprehensive support for persons with autism spectrum disorders: guidelines] / Society for supporting autistic children “Dobro”. Moscow, 2015. 539 p. ISBN 978-5-9907171-8-3.
- Morozov S.A. The Progress of Approbation of the Approximate Adapted General Education Program of Preschool Education for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Autizm i narusheniya razvitiya = Autism and Developmental Disorders (Russia), 2018, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 3—11. DOI:10.17759/autdd.2018160401
- Morozov S.A., Morozova T.I. Vospitanie i obuchenie detei s autizmom (doshkol’nyi vozrast): uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie [Raising and teaching autistic children (preschool age): teaching and practical manual]. Moscow: Publ. Knizhnoe izdatel’stvo, 2017. 323 p. ISBN 978-5-6040130-9-0.
- Morozova S.S. Osnovnye aspekty ispol’zovaniya ABA pri autizme [Basic aspects of using ABA on autistic people] / Society for supporting autistic children “Dobro”. Moscow, 2013. 363 p. ISBN 978-5-904818-04-3.
- Nazarkina S.I., Tsarev A.M. Organizatsiya “Sluzhby soprovozhdeniya sem’i i rebenka” v g. Pskove [Organizing the “Service for the support for the family and the child in the city of Pskov”]. In Sokolova V.M. (ed.) Sluzhba soprovozhdeniya sem’i i rebenka: Innovatsionnyi opyt: Metodicheskii sbornik [Service for the support for the family and the child: Innovative experience: Collected resources]. Vladimir: Publ. Tranzit-IKS, 2010. Pp. 5—18. ISBN 978-5-8311-0474-5.
- Nikitina Yu.V. Trudnosti, voznikayushchie u roditelei detei s RAS [Difficulties faced by parents of children with ASD]. In Khaustov A.V. (ed.) Organizatsiya raboty s roditelyami detei s rasstroistvami autisticheskogo spektra: Metodicheskie rekomendatsii [Organizing working with parents of children with autism spectrum disorders: Teaching recommendations]. Moscow: Publ. Federal Resource Center of the Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, 2017. Pp. 6—27. ISBN 978-5-94051-164-9.
- Ob utverzhdenii federal’noi adaptirovannoi obrazovatel’noi programmy doshkol’nogo obrazovaniya dlya obuchayushchikhsya s ogranichennymi vozmozhnostyami zdorov’ya: Prikaz ot 24 noyabrya 2022 g. № 1022 [On the approval of the Federal adapted educational program for preschool education for students with disabilities: Order from November 24, 2022 no. 1022] [Web resource] / Ministry of education of Russian Federation. URL: http://publication. pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001202301270036 (Accessed 22.06.2023).
- Bitterman A., Daley T.C., Misra S. et al. A National Sample of Preschoolers with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Special Education Services and Parent Satisfaction. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2008, vol. 38, no. 8, pр. 1509— 1517. DOI:10.1007/s10803-007-0531-9
- Chang Y.-C., Shire S.J., Shih W., et al. Preschool Deployment of Evidence-Based Social Communication Intervention: JASPER in the Classroom. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2016, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 2211—2223. DOI:10.1007/s10803-016-2752-2
- Dingfelder H.E., Mandel D.S. Bridging the Research-to-Practice Gap in Autism Intervention: An Application of Diffusion of Innovation Theory. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2011, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 597—609. DOI:10.1007/ s10803-010-1081-0
- Geiger D.M., Smith D.T., Creaghead N.A. Parent and Professional Agreement on Cognitive Level of Children with Autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2002, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 307—312. DOI:10.1023/a:1016382819186
- Thomas K., Ellis A.R., McLaurin C. et al. Access to Care for Autism-Related Services. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2007, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1902—1912. DOI:10.1007/s10803-006-0323-7
- Towle P.O., Vacanti-Shova K., Higgins-D’Alessandro A. et al. A Longitudinal Study of Children Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder Before Age Three: School Services at Three Points Time for Three Levels of Outcome Disability. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2018, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2064—2076. DOI:10.1007/s10803-018-3606-x
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 70
Current month: 0
Previous month: 22
Current month: 0