2021. Vol. 17, no. 3, 125–134
ISSN: 1816-5435 / 2224-8935 (online)
Preparing Educators for Inclusive Bilingual Education: A Boundary Crossing Laboratory Between Professional Groups
Keywords: boundary crossing, inclusive bilingual education, teacher education, higher education
Journal rubric: Problems of Cultural-Historical and Activity Psychology
Article type: scientific article
Funding. The reported study was funded by a Faculty Development Grant at Southern Connecticut State University under the direction of Angela López-Velásquez and Michael Alfano, 2013.
For citation: Martínez-Álvarez P., López-Velásquez A., Kajamaa A. Preparing Educators for Inclusive Bilingual Education: A Boundary Crossing Laboratory Between Professional Groups. Kul'turno-istoricheskaya psikhologiya = Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2021. Vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 125–134. DOI: 10.17759/chp.2021170316.
- Akkerman S., Bruining, T. Multi-level boundary crossing in a professional development school partnership. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 2016. Vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 240— 284. DOI: 10.1080/10508406.2016.1147448
- Akkerman S.F., Bakker A. Boundary crossing and boundary objects. Review of Educational Research, 2011. Vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 132—169. DOI: 10.3102/0034654311404435
- Engeström Y. Chapter 7: Activity theory and learning at work. In Malloch M. et al. (eds.), The Sage Handbook of Workplace Learning. London, U.K: SAGE Publications Ltd, 2010, pp. 74—89. DOI:10.4135/9781446200940.n7
- Engeström Y. Expansive learning at work: toward an activity theoretical reconceptualization. Journal of Education and Work, 2001. Vol. 14, pp. 133—156. DOI:10.1080/13639 08002 00287 47.
- Engeström Y. Innovative learning in work teams: Analyzing cycles of knowledge creation in practice. In Engeström Y., Miettinen R., Punamäki R-L. (eds.), Perspectives on Activity Theory. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999, pp. 377—404. DOI:10.1017/cbo9780511812774.025
- Engeström Y. Learning by expanding: An activity-theoretical approach to developmental research. Helsinki, Finland: Orienta-Konsultit, 1987. 269 p.
- Hamayan E. et al. Special education considerations for English language learners: Delivering a continuum of services (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon Publishing, 2013. 304 p.
- Kerosuo, H. Examining boundaries in health care — Outline of a method for studying organizational boundaries in interaction. Outlines. Critical Social Studies, 2004. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 35—60.
- Kerosuo H. Boundaries in health care discussions: An activity theoretical approach to the analysis of boundaries. In Paulsen N., Hernes T. (eds.), Managing boundaries in organizations: Multiple perspectives. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003, pp. 169—187). DOI:10.1057/9780230512559_10
- Ludvigsen S., Nerland M. Knowledge sharing in professions: Working creatively with standards in local settings. In Sannino A., Ellis V. (eds.), Learning and collective creativity: Activity-Theoretical and sociocultural studies. London, U.K: Routledge, 2013, pp. 116—131. DOI:10.4324/9780203077351-14
- Martínez-Álvarez P., Chiang H.M. A bilingual special education teacher preparation program in New York City: Case studies of teacher candidates’ student teaching experiences. Equity & Excellence in Education, 2020. Vol. 53, no. 1—2, pp. 196—215. DOI:10.1080/10665684.2020.1749186
- Smagorinsky P. The method section as conceptual epicenter in constructing social science research reports. Written Communication, 2008. Vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 389—411. DOI: 10.1177/0741088308317815
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, Office of Special Education Programs. 37th Annual Report to Congress on the Implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 2015. Washington, D.C., 2015. 284 p. DOI:10.1002/9780470373699.speced1499
- Wenger E. Communities of practice: Learning, meaning and identity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998. 318 p.
- Virkkunen J., Newnham D.S. The Change Laboratory: A tool for collaborative development of work and education. Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers, 2013. 294 p.
- Vygotsky L.S. Mind in society: the development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1978. 174 p.
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 14
Current month: 13
Previous month: 4
Current month: 5