Parental Identity Processes among Men in Early and Middle Adulthood
In the paper we present the analysis of the processes of parental identity among men without children and fathers. In the background of the growing multifactorial influences of modern society and the multitasking of modern man, it is extremely important to identify the processes of personal identity that allow a person to find his or her place in the world. Various transformations of parenting bring actuality to the studies of parental identity processes, which may help in effective performing in parental roles. We studied the specifics of parental identity processes among men. We used descriptive characteristics, Student's t-test, and correlation analysis. The study involved 97 men (60% without children, 40% of fathers) aged 17 to 44 years (M = 26,44; SD = 11,14). We used Caregiving and Breadwinning Identity and Reflected Appraisal Inventory (J. Pleck and colleagues), test of statuses and structure of ego-identity (E. L. Soldatova), Dimensions of Identity Development Scale (DIDS) (K. Luyckx and colleagues), Identity Stage Resolution Index (ISRI) (J. E. Cote), the Utrecht scale for studying identity processes-Parent identity (U-MICS-PI) (modification by K. Piotrowski) and test of life-meaningful orientations (D. A. Leontiev). Parental identity in men is formed even before the birth of a child and before interacting with him or her. Parental identity is interrelated with identity processes, such as: commitment making, and all exploration processes. There is a significant relationship between parental identity and processes such as commitment and exploration.
Keywords: identity, male parental identity, early adulthood, middle adulthood, identity processes
Journal rubric: Psychology of Personality
Article type: scientific article
Acknowledgements. The author expresses her gratitude to all participants of the research.
For citation: Borisenko Y.V. Parental Identity Processes among Men in Early and Middle Adulthood. Eksperimental'naâ psihologiâ = Experimental Psychology (Russia), 2023. Vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 136–151. DOI: 10.17759/exppsy.2023160108. (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.)
- Borisenko J.V. Adaptacija metodiki Identity Stage Resolution Index (ISRI) na russkij jazyk [Adaptation of Identity Stage Resolution Index (ISRI) into Russian]. Vestnik Kemerovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta = Bulletin of Kemerovo state university, 2020. Vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 735—743. DOI:21603/2078-8975-2020-22-3-735-743 (In Russ.).
- Borisenko J.V. Adaptacija metodiki the Utrecht-management of identity commitments scale-parental identity (U-MICS-PI) dlja issledovanija processov roditel'skoj identichnosti [Adaptation of Utrecht-management of identity commitments scale-parental identity (U-MICS-PI) for the parental identity studies]. Psihofiziologija = Psychology. Psychophysiology, 2021. Vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 17—26. DOI:10.14529/jpps210202 (In Russ.).
- Borisenko J.V. Aprobacija i adaptacija metodiki issledovanija processov identichnosti “Dimensions Of Identity Development Scale (DIDS)” [Approbation and adaptation “Dimensions Of Identity Development Scale (DIDS)”]. Vektor nauki Tol'jattinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Serija: Pedagogika, psihologija=Vector of science TGU Pedagogy, psychology series, 2020. Vol. 3(42), pp. 33—41. (In Russ.).
- Odincova O.J., Krjukova T.L. Ozhidanie rebenka v izmenjajushhemsja social'nom kontekste: strah beremennosti i rodov u muzhchin i zhenshhin [Expecting a child in a changing social context: fear of pregnancy and childbirth in men and women]. Gercenovskie chtenija: psihologicheskie issledovanija v obrazovanii= Herzen readings: psychological studies in education, 2020. Vol. 3, pp. 507—515. (In Russ.).
- Soldatova E.L. Shljapnikova I.A. Svjaz' jego-identichnosti i lichnostnoj zrelosti [Correlation between ego-identity and personal maturity]. Vestnik JuUrGU. Serija «Psihologija»= Bulletin of South Ural state university: psychology series, 2015. Vol. 8, Issue 1, pp. 29—33. (In Russ.).
- Berzonsky M.D. Cieciuch J., Duriez B., et al. The how and what of identity formation: Associations between identity styles and value orientations. Personality and Individual Differences, 2011. Vol. 50, pр. 295—299.
- Bogaerts A., Luyckx K., Bastiaens T., Kaufman E., Claes L. Identity Impairment as a Central Dimension in Personality Pathology. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 2021. Vol. P. 33—42. DOI:10.1007/s10862-020-09804-9
- Cote J.E. Identity Stage Resolution Index (ISRI) An empirical test of the identity capital model. Journal of Adolescence, 1997. Vol. 20, pр. 421—437.
- Côté J.E. The identity capital model: A handbook of theory, methods, and findings. London: Department of Sociology, The University of Western Ontario, 2016. 80 p.
- Crocetti E., Rubini M., Meeus W. Capturing the dynamics of identity formation in various ethnic groups: Development and validation of a three-dimensional model. Journal of Adolescence, 2008. Vol. 31, pp. 207—222.
- Debast I., Rossi G., Van Alphen S.P., et al. Age neutrality of categorically and dimensionally measured DSM-5 section II personality disorder symptoms. Journal of Personality Assessment, 2015. Vol. 97, pp. 321—329. DOI:1080/00223891.2015.1021814
- Erikson E.H. Identity, youth and crisis. New York: Norton, 1968.
- Fadjukoff P., Pulkinnen L., Lyyra A-L. & Kokko K. Parental identity and its relation to parenting and psychological functioning in middle age. Parenting: Science and Practice, 2016. Vol. 16, pр. 87—107.
- Galanaki E., & Leontopoulou S. Criteria for the transition to adulthood, developmental features of emerging adulthood, and views of the future among greek studying youth. Europe’s Journal of Psychology, 2017. Vol. 13(3), pp. 417—440. DOI:10.5964/ejop.v13i3.1327
- Kroger J. Identity in childhood and adolescence. International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavior Sciences, 2015. Vol. 11, pp. 537—542. DOI:10.1016/B978-0-08-097086-8.34015-6
- Luyckx K., Schwartz S.J., Berzonsky M.D., et al. Capturing ruminative exploration: Extending the four-dimensional model of identity formation in late adolescence. Journal of Research in Personality, 2008. Vol. 42, pр. 58—82.
- Marcia J.E. Identity and psychosocial development in adulthood. Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research, 2002. Vol. 2, pр. 7—28.
- Maurer T.W., Pleck J.H., Rane T.R. Parental identity and reflected appraisals: Measurement and gender dynamics. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 2001. Vol. 63, pp. 309—321.
- Peters J.R., Eisenlohr-Moul T.A., Upton B.T., et al. Characteristics of repetitive thought associated with borderline personality features: A multimodal investigation of ruminative content and style. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 2017. Vol. 39, pp. 456—466. DOI:10.1007/s10862-017-9594-x
- Piotrowski K. Adaptation of the Utrecht-Management of Identity Commitments Scale (U-MICS) to the measurement of the parental identity domain. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 2018. Vol. 59, pр. 157—166. DOI:1111/sjop.12416
- Piotrowski K. Parental identity status in emerging and early adulthood, personality, and well-being: A cluster analytic approach. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 2021. Vol. 62(163). DOI:10.1111/sjop.12779
- Piotrowski K. How many parents regret having children and how it is linked to their personality and health: Two studies with national samples in Poland. PLoS ONE, 2021. Vol. 16, pp. 1—25. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0254163
- Piotrowski K. Domain-specific correlates of parental and romantic identity processes. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 2021. DOI:10.1080/17405629.2021.1949979
- Piotrowski K., Bojanowska A., Nowicka A., et al. Perfectionism and community-identity integration: The mediating role of shame, guilt and self-esteem. Current Psychology. 2023. Vol. 42. P. 1308—1316. DOI:10.1007/s12144-021-01499-9
- Schwartz S., Luyckx K., Crocetti E. What have we learned since Schwartz (2001)? A reappraisal of the field of identity development. In K. McLean, & M. Syed (Eds.). The Oxford handbook of identity development. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015. Pp. 539—561.
- van Doeselaar L., Becht A.I., Klimstra T.A., et al. A review and integration of three key components of identity development: Distinctiveness, coherence, and continuity. European Psychologist, 2018. Vol. 23, pp. 278—288.
- Verschueren M., Luyckx K., Kaufman E.A., et al. Identity processes and statuses in patients with and without eating disorders. European Eating Disorders Review, 2017. Vol. 25, pp. 26—35.
- Vrolijk P., Van Lissa C., Branje S., et al. Parent-child personality similarity and differential autonomy support toward siblings. Journal of Family Psychology. 2022. Vol. 36(6). P. 839—850. DOI:10.1037/fam0000955
- Waterman A.S., Schwartz S.J., Goldbacher E., et al. Predicting the subjective experience of intrinsic motivation: The roles of self-determination, the balance of challenges and skills, and self-realization values. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 2003. Vol. 29, pр. 1447—1458.
- Yaremych H.E., Persky S. Recruiting Fathers for Parenting Research: An Evaluation of Eight Recruitment Methods and an Exploration of Fathers’ Motivations for Participation. Parenting, 2022. P. 1—33. DOI:10.1080/15295192.2022.2036940
Information About the Authors
Previous month: 46
Current month: 34
Previous month: 14
Current month: 10